Eggs in pizza dough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eggs in pizza dough?

First: What do the eggs do in a pizza dough?

Second: If using Caputo 00 flour would it be best cooked in WFO or can I cook the pizza in a regular Blodget deck oven at 525 to 550 DF and achieve the same quality without the smokey flavor?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Re: Eggs in pizza dough?

never heard of putting eggs in pizza dough.
    I've never used a deck oven, my experience with Caputo in my electric oven (on a stone or in a pan) at 500 F (max for the oven) has been less than fantastic, it just does not brown or slightly char the way I would like. In the WFO oven, its a different story, the Caputo handles the 800 F much better than the bread flour and AP flours I have tried.

To be totally honest, I don't experiment very much any more. I did too much tinkering when I first built my oven, I've finally found what works for me, whether in the WFO or in the electric.

RT

Comment

Never heard of eggs in dough, the other thing too, a lot of people are allergic to egg and wouldnt think there was egg in the dough and therefore think it safe to eat.

My wife works with children and its a big problem, youre very lucky no one has suffered from Anaphylactic shock due to the egg.

Food allergy - PubMed Health
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

There are others who are more qualified to answer, but 00 dough is more for higher temps than regular deck ovens. You'll have to define what 'quality' means to you? On a WFO site, I would say it has to do with some charring and leoparding along with a nice crust. You should get more specific about what you're looking for, then possibly check on websites that deal more with pizzamaking than WFO making. I think both of the sites have some crossover, but if you're serious about either, the respective sites answers specifics better.
        My oven (for now):
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

I see you may already learned about this from someone who knows a helluva lot more than me. For everyone else....

If the weight of eggs is small in relation to the weight of flour, there may not be a major effect on the final product. You can read about the effects of eggs on baked goods in the article on emulsifiers at Bakingbusiness.com Article: Emulsifiers.
          My oven (for now):
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Hello jimmylorenzetti,

Look here for an answer to your question: What is the difference between the pizza dough with eggs and the one without? - Yahoo! Answers

In addition, egg yolks often impart a golden color to doughs. You might use whole egg, just the whites or just yolk in your dough to give it a character you like. Yolks are "oily" so you will note a softer dough. Too much egg in a dough will change the texture and flavor to something you might not like. However, egg doughs are sometimes described as "rich" and you could certainly develop your own rich pizza dough to pair with complimentary toppings. I think a rich dough with pesto and dried tomato topping would be an example.

Cheers,
            Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Thanks azpizzanut, I appreciate the reply, good info.

Comment

"My wife works with children and its a big problem, youre very lucky no one has suffered from Anaphylactic shock due to the egg"

I'm not selling pizza with eggs in it, I'm just curious what their purpose was in the dough. A lot of pizza out there has some form of egg in it, if they post it or not.
                Thanks for all the replys, they are very informative and I appreciate them.

Comment

Looks Awesome Dude!!

Comment

Eggs as a dough ingredient is great...for bread. Eggs make a very sticky dough and would be quite difficult to manage in a wood fired oven or, I would imagine, in a deck oven (for pizza in general).

As far as the "smokey flavor", if you are getting that from a WFO, then something isn't exactly right. There should be no such "flavor". There is a unique taste that comes from a wood fired oven and perhaps that is what you are referring to, but I would never consider it as coming from smoke. An 800 degree oven burns so hot that there is no smoke left, it is literally all consumed by the heat.

I would make some batches of dough with and without eggs. Years ago, I got a book called, "Beard on Bread". James Beard was THE authority on all things dough and bread related, as far as I'm concerned. There are some great egg-dough recipes there.

Comment

There was a great pizza place near me about 20 odd years ago they did a garlic prawn and egg pizza it was excellent
                      It was on top not in though

Comment

Gudday
                        Ham and egg pizza.....sauce Ham and cheese...crack egg into you hand and break yolk...scatter through the ham and cheese and bake

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	b&e pizza 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	288873[/ATTACH]

Everyone was full so this will be my breakfast

Regards Dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I haven't made pizza dough with eggs, but have been cooking naan for the past couple years and the recipe calls for one egg to the 4 cups of flour. I've occasionally made the dough w/o the egg when the fridge is bear. I can't tell a difference in taste in the dough, especially as I usually onion and/or garlic to the dough, but there is a definate difference in the feel and texture of the dough both when rolling it out and when eating it.

For lack of a better description adding the egg results in a more resilient dough. It just seems lighter and springier and is just seems easier to tear and chew.

Comment

Dunno about in the dough, but back in the 70's when Rocky's was one of the first pizza bars in the state, a Saturday night special was a 4 Seasons with egg and anchovies.

If I remember correctly it was:
                            smoked oysters, ham, pineapple, chilli, champignons, black olives, egg, anchovies, mozzarella, tomato.

Delightful. I am no fan of added sugar in anything, but the sweetness of the pineapple, the saltiness of the olives and anchovies, the fire of those little pickled chillies he used, all topped with a slightly runny egg was just perfect.

Comment

I was curious to see if the egg acts as a lubricant as it were in the dough, so in the naan recipe I've been using for years I substituted 1T of olive oil for the egg. Sure enough the resiliency if that's the proper term returned to the dough. Without the egg or oil the dough is somewhat tough and you can't roll it that thin. With the egg or oil the dough can be rolled or stretched very thin.

Seems to have been a hit, no leftovers.

Comment

Working...
                              X