X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krislu
    replied
    Re: Surface for preparing Dough?

Neill- You have a nice lay out! I like your production line technique. I am not as organized as you. I was building pies on a medium size cart with all of the toppings on it as well as tools and utensils I was running out of room that's why I am adding that cart with the marble top in my earlier post to reclaim space on my other cart. I still have not fiqured out placement of my toppings but you have given me ideas. Thanks - Kris

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Kris,
    as you can see from the picture, we roll/stretch the dough, (up to the individual), place it on a tray and move to the left in line with the oven entry, select all the different ingredients from the trays, sauces, cheeses and straight into the oven in a production line. I used to always be first off to demonstrate, but now all family members and friends know the routine and as soon as the oven is up to temperature and swept clean, they are right into it and I'm often well back in the queue.
    Just to the left, out of the picture is the cutting board and cane place mats where we put out sliced pizzas on the still hot trays to keep them hot.
    Eat and enjoy then get back into the line again for seconds.

Leave a comment:

• Krislu
    replied

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
    Marble as the recommended surface?
    I was always believing that marble is not as suitable as the harder, more dense granite stone. Marble will stain and mark with knives, trays etc more than other stone surfaces. A marble bench top is harder to keep in pristine condition but it is usually lighter in colour and more appealing with it's softer marbling patterns than the granites. I would expect that the Health departments would insist on a stainless surface for restaurants.
    By me all of the restuarants are using marble or stainless. I don't plan on using knifes or trays on it. I am just shaping and stretching the dough and build the pies on it. The only thing that is going to touch it is the aluminum peel. I had my choice between marble and granite but went marble to be like the restaurants. I am sure granite is fine. I don't know what your countertop is made out of in your pic but that looks good to build pies on and clean. It looks smooth and slick.

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
    We tend to commence the pizza build on an aluminium tray place it into the oven and when it is due to turn, removed and sat on the hearth for final cooking.
    I used to do the same thing but used screens now I go from the marble straight into the ovens no problems and one less thing that has to be cleaned.

Kris
    Last edited by Krislu; 01-12-2013, 07:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Marble as the recommended surface?
    I was always believing that marble is not as suitable as the harder, more dense granite stone. Marble will stain and mark with knives, trays etc more than other stone surfaces. A marble bench top is harder to keep in pristine condition but it is usually lighter in colour and more appealing with it's softer marbling patterns than the granites. I would expect that the Health departments would insist on a stainless surface for restaurants
    What I use, is an off cut from a black granite sink cut out (which weighs around 20kg) that I acquired, cut and sanded to suit. It sits on a towel directly on top of a sink drainboard with a washbasin beside it for those who make a mess.
    But any rigid, cool and flat surface will suit as it is generally dusted with flour or supports a wood or metal peel. We tend to commence the pizza build on an aluminium tray place it into the oven and when it is due to turn, removed and sat on the hearth for final cooking. The first pizza hitting the oven when up to temperature (500˚C+) needs turning in 30 seconds and ready for slicing in one minute, no time to waste unless you like yours well done.

Leave a comment:

• Krislu
    replied

I have prepped dough/ built pies on formica, stainless steel with no problems both were slick, no sticking dough and easy to clean. I just bought a piece of marble and put it on a cart for backyard use. - Kris

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Our prep area is a DuPont Corian solid surface countertop. It's about 2 years old and I love it. I build the pies right on the surface; the peel slides underneath effortlessly. Clean up is a breeze.

Leave a comment:

• Neil2
    replied

Polished concrete will work as well.

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

While I prefer wood for bread, prefer stone for pizza. Marble is great. Soapstone would be fine too!

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

The preferred surface for pizzarias is marble. It stays cool, is fairly non-porous, and is affordable. Here in the US one can purchase cutoffs very reasonably. If you review any of the pizza-making videos of pizzarias on YouTube, you'll see a lot of marble being used.

Leave a comment:

• sonomacast
    started a topic Surface for preparing Dough?

Surface for preparing Dough?

Which is the best surface for preparing bread/pizza dough and also conforms with health regs, thnk you
Working...
X