Surface for preparing Dough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface for preparing Dough?

Which is the best surface for preparing bread/pizza dough and also conforms with health regs, thnk you

Re: Surface for preparing Dough?

The preferred surface for pizzarias is marble. It stays cool, is fairly non-porous, and is affordable. Here in the US one can purchase cutoffs very reasonably. If you review any of the pizza-making videos of pizzarias on YouTube, you'll see a lot of marble being used.

Comment

While I prefer wood for bread, prefer stone for pizza. Marble is great. Soapstone would be fine too!

Comment

Polished concrete will work as well.

Comment

Our prep area is a DuPont Corian solid surface countertop. It's about 2 years old and I love it. I build the pies right on the surface; the peel slides underneath effortlessly. Clean up is a breeze.
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I have prepped dough/ built pies on formica, stainless steel with no problems both were slick, no sticking dough and easy to clean. I just bought a piece of marble and put it on a cart for backyard use. - Kris

- Kris

Comment

Marble as the recommended surface?
              I was always believing that marble is not as suitable as the harder, more dense granite stone. Marble will stain and mark with knives, trays etc more than other stone surfaces. A marble bench top is harder to keep in pristine condition but it is usually lighter in colour and more appealing with it's softer marbling patterns than the granites. I would expect that the Health departments would insist on a stainless surface for restaurants
              What I use, is an off cut from a black granite sink cut out (which weighs around 20kg) that I acquired, cut and sanded to suit. It sits on a towel directly on top of a sink drainboard with a washbasin beside it for those who make a mess.
              But any rigid, cool and flat surface will suit as it is generally dusted with flour or supports a wood or metal peel. We tend to commence the pizza build on an aluminium tray place it into the oven and when it is due to turn, removed and sat on the hearth for final cooking. The first pizza hitting the oven when up to temperature (500˚C+) needs turning in 30 seconds and ready for slicing in one minute, no time to waste unless you like yours well done.
              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
              Neill’s kitchen underway
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                Marble as the recommended surface?
                I was always believing that marble is not as suitable as the harder, more dense granite stone. Marble will stain and mark with knives, trays etc more than other stone surfaces. A marble bench top is harder to keep in pristine condition but it is usually lighter in colour and more appealing with it's softer marbling patterns than the granites. I would expect that the Health departments would insist on a stainless surface for restaurants.
                By me all of the restuarants are using marble or stainless. I don't plan on using knifes or trays on it. I am just shaping and stretching the dough and build the pies on it. The only thing that is going to touch it is the aluminum peel. I had my choice between marble and granite but went marble to be like the restaurants. I am sure granite is fine. I don't know what your countertop is made out of in your pic but that looks good to build pies on and clean. It looks smooth and slick.

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                We tend to commence the pizza build on an aluminium tray place it into the oven and when it is due to turn, removed and sat on the hearth for final cooking.
                I used to do the same thing but used screens now I go from the marble straight into the ovens no problems and one less thing that has to be cleaned.

Kris
                Last edited by Krislu; 01-12-2013, 07:54 AM.
                - Kris

Comment

Kris,
                  as you can see from the picture, we roll/stretch the dough, (up to the individual), place it on a tray and move to the left in line with the oven entry, select all the different ingredients from the trays, sauces, cheeses and straight into the oven in a production line. I used to always be first off to demonstrate, but now all family members and friends know the routine and as soon as the oven is up to temperature and swept clean, they are right into it and I'm often well back in the queue.
                  Just to the left, out of the picture is the cutting board and cane place mats where we put out sliced pizzas on the still hot trays to keep them hot.
                  Eat and enjoy then get back into the line again for seconds.

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Neill- You have a nice lay out! I like your production line technique. I am not as organized as you. I was building pies on a medium size cart with all of the toppings on it as well as tools and utensils I was running out of room that's why I am adding that cart with the marble top in my earlier post to reclaim space on my other cart. I still have not fiqured out placement of my toppings but you have given me ideas. Thanks - Kris
                    - Kris

Comment

Hi Kris,
                      thought about making up a canter levered bracket off the rear of your marble top to hold some bain marie dishes? I purchased some dishes off ebay, made up 2 stands, the rear one higher than the front one and hold the next deeper sized trays and more ingredients, which makes it so easy to see, hold and organise for those all important pizza feasts. Each row also has room for a half width tray or I can replace some trays with half width ones as it it all modular. All trays have lids which get discarded in the rush and used once everyone has their fill. I tend to have the less used ingredients, eg seafood -sliced prawns, calamari, smoked salmon, mussels, etc, avocado, dried tomatoes, onion slices, etc in the front ones, with all the ham, chicken, sliced processed meats etc in the deeper rear trays. I also have larger trays that lay across the front on the hardwood bench top with the 2 cheeses that we like, motzarella and tasty cheese. It works surprisingly well, easy to set up, to access and to clean up.
                      They are cheap, plentiful and the bases easily folded up and tack welded or can be riveted or bolted together.

Cheers.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                      Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Neill- That's a good idea too! I never thought of it. The only thing that comes to my mind is the balance of the cart. The weight of everything hanging off one of the sides might tip the cart over. It is not a big cart ( 28"X 20" ). I am thinking of maybe using the draw. Put the toppings in the draw if they will fit. It is not a deep draw (2 3/8"). I am thinking of something like ramekins with a height that will fit in the draw.Thanks for helping me! - Kris
                        Last edited by Krislu; 01-13-2013, 05:30 PM.
                        - Kris

Comment

Kris,
                          another option is to make/have fabricated a tray that lays over the top edge of the marble top with cut outs that fit the selection of trays as per layout attached. Stainless bent into angles would be best as it would retain maximum strength and straightness. I have drawn the illustrations to scale, ie a 20 x 28" with the correct sized trays. You would need to get your trays first and then make the tray to suit.

Cheers.

Neill
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by nissanneill; 01-14-2013, 02:20 AM.

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                          Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Neill- Thank you!! You have given some excellent ideas and inspiration!! THANKS! - Kris
                            - Kris

Comment

Marble is really the best! Try it you will see the results.

Good Luck happy cooking!

Comment

Working...
                              X