Salt Rising Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt Rising Bread

I make salt rising bread and I have worked with Jenny Bardwell to try and increase the stinkyness and cheesy flavor of the bread, but I reach a plateau on both of those factors. I have heard a quote about salt rising bread that may or may not have come from you so I would like to pick your brain. I would like everything you have on increasing the potency of the bread, on a side note I make the milk starter not the potato.

Hi Pigvalve,

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if Peterreinhart still gets notifications to this forum. I will alert Alex_FB also. It has worked before, so look for notifications. Salt Risen Bread. Wow! Until now, I have never heard of it. Popular Science, which was one of the hits on my search, had an article on it. The Disquieting Delights of Salt Rising Bread. I'm going to stay on the sidelines on this one. But, I am very interested in following this thread.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Great thanks let me know if you think you might like to try making salt rising bread. Most who do fail the first few times because they don't have a sounding board to figure out why and then stop trying. The best tip I have is that I use a sous-vide to keep my temp I use salt that does not have iodine in it and I don't heat the milk to scalding like most call for but I do get it to 110 degrees. I have a lot of info on what has succeeded and failed and my starters are successful about 85% of the time now. When I started it was a 33%

Comment

Will do. But,
        Most who do fail the first few times because they don't have a sounding board to figure out why and then stop trying
        That is my main concern....... failure........ with a known pathogen lol.
        Last edited by Gulf; 01-02-2020, 07:29 PM.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I have eaten it all my life and I have never met anyone who through failure or success has ever gotten ill from eating it. the Clostridium goes inactive as soon as it is baked. The worst part about failing is that you have to wait another day to get a starter going, You can try a starter in the morning but you be up baking bread all night long. LOL

Comment

Working...
          X