Pompeii Oven started Slowly but Surely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompeii Oven started Slowly but Surely

I am building a 900mm internal diameter dome using the pompeii oven plans located between Ipswich and Brisbane.

Can't believe it is almost two months since I started ...

I have just finished the base and am up to the insulation under the oven floor.

Decide to used 50mm Calcium Silicate under the floor fire bricks (with a small layer of vermiculite under the calcium silicate - really only to get my height right relative to the base blocks and fire brick floor.

I have to buy my fire bricks yet and work out details for landing and flue, but I have plenty of time.

Will post some more photos when I make more progress.

Great Forum... can't believe the amount of people that post and how much stuff there is to read !!

Brett

Re: Pompeii Oven started Slowly but Surely

Hi Mistertoy,

Are there brick arches on both sides of your stand? Where you have your arch some people place angle iron for reinforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou
      Not sure what the calcium silicate is doing for you,
      A 50mm calcium silicate board will stop the heat as good as 100mm of vermicrete.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Dear Brett
        Nice Job!! like your arches. You realise of course now there is no turning at this point don't you. Apart from the money and effort you have expended thus far.. it would cost an arm and leg to get a bobcat with rock breaker and truck to remove that stand so....welcome onboard!!! and never forget the wiff of woodsmoke the sizzle of the cheese melting....priceless

Regards
        Cobblerdave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
          Hi Mistertoy,

Are there brick arches on both sides of your stand?

Hi Laurentius

Yes there are brick arches at each end, so I can access both sides for when I store wood. Because I had not done arches before, I also practiced on the back arch before I did the front.

I actually made the arches from half brick - cut a full brick in half with a diamond saw. Behind the arch is a custom made steel angle to provide support for the suspended slab. In retrospect, it probably would have been easier and maybe just as strong if I had just made the arches out of a full brick.

Thanks
          Brett

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
            Hi Brett,
            I assume you are having about 50 to 60mm of Vermiculite and Cement under the 50mm of board, if that is the case it should work a treat.
            Hi Doug

Thanks....
            About 40mm vermiculite and cement under the 50mm of board. Based on the plans and some posts I have seen from James, you don't need the vermiculite layer. I decided to use calcium silicate board instead of ceramic board because the specs were almost the same and it was a little cheaper. I had one supplier say that they sell 40mm board for wood fired oven but I stuck with 50mm as that was what was recommended.

I can see what everyone means by how the vermiculite/cement mix works. I dry mixed the cement and vermiculite and mixed in a wheelbarrow, it was a bit hard to know when the water was right so I opted to stop adding water sooner than later.
            I was fairly happy how level I was able to get the vermiculite layer with a screed, but some sections of the vermiculite are loose on the surface. I was going to use some fireclay to "set" the calcium silicate board to the vermiculite.

Thanks
            Brett

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
              Dear Brett
              to get a bobcat with rock breaker and truck to remove that stand
              Hi Cobblerdave

You are spot on .... cant stop now! I had been thinking the stand would make a good bomb shelter

Thanks
              Brett

Comment

Sorry Mate
                I hate ta tell ya but a bomb shelter needs ...earth ramparts... a 3 month inderpendant water and food supply...triple air filtration.... You are truely stuck it this stage. The Missus an't going except it as a pot plant stand.. so there you are...enjoy the journey. You have done your research (double entrance on stand .. well done). So please post more ...even you problems you'll get a good lot of answers not right or wrong but one will suit your prob

Regards
                Cobblerdave
                Measure twice
                Cut once

My Build
                My Door

Comment

Originally posted by Mistertoy View Post
                  Hi Laurentius

Yes there are brick arches at each end, so I can access both sides for when I store wood. Because I had not done arches before, I also practiced on the back arch before I did the front.

I actually made the arches from half brick - cut a full brick in half with a diamond saw. Behind the arch is a custom made steel angle to provide support for the suspended slab. In retrospect, it probably would have been easier and maybe just as strong if I had just made the arches out of a full brick.

Thanks
                  Brett
                  A very nice rendition of the plans for the stand, with a double entry underneath! Good clean work. Haven't seen anyone using blocks cut lengthwise for the top course before, it works very well in your design. Well done

I posted earlier about the thickness of your vermiculite and calcium aluminate board. Brickie told me about the board and I can see the thickness of your vermiculite when I took a second look, so I deleted my prior post.

You have a great start. 'Continue the march'
                  Lee B.
                  DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Hi Bert
                    How goes the build?

Regards Dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

slowly - a little progress couple of weekends each month ! see attache photo.

I will update my thread with a few more photos.

Thanks
                      Brett
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Brett,
                        Your double entry wood storage has other benefits as well as better access. It provides good airflow over the wood to keep it dry. You will be very pleased you did it this way. Longer pieces of wood can also be accommodated. I love the look of the arches, they provide a reflection of the construction above them.
                        Dave
                        Last edited by david s; 09-28-2011, 01:18 PM.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Bert
                          No use rushing... thats good work...firebrick....like the cut above the arch to make the transition from arch to dome smoother...Karanga dude will be impressed

Regards Dave
                          Last edited by cobblerdave; 10-02-2011, 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

Sorry to be a late poster...have just joined the forum.
                            I poured 4" supporting slab then 4" Vermiculite/cement mix 5:1....
                            Do I also need the Calcium Silicate board..I was planning on setting my bricks directly yo the base with a slurry of fireclay homebrew....
                            It doesn't instill a great lot of confidence in me with it's strength...What are people doing to ensure it doesn't get damaged...during the build and after.
                            I was going to leave my boxing on until I am finished my dome and ready to render.??
                            Any ideas would be good...thanks

Comment

Everyone seems to be concerned about the strength of the vermicrete layer. Because the weight is spread over a large area it is quite strong enough and you can stucco/render over it. Yes you can leave the form work around it to keep it intact until you are ready to render over it.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X