Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Adelaide WFO Build

Originally posted by david s View Post
    After blowing the ash away I use the semolina cast onto the floor trick to test temp.
    How does this work?
    www.vdubber.com

Comment

Cast half a teaspoon of semolina into the centre of the floor. It should go black in three seconds. Two seconds, too hot. Four seconds, not hot enough. If it is too hot just place the first one or two pizzas closer to the entry.this method has been used for centuries, it's simple and reliable.It's also a good party trick and makes your guests think you know what you're doing.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        Cast half a teaspoon of semolina into the centre of the floor. It should go black in three seconds. Two seconds, too hot. Four seconds, not hot enough. If it is too hot just place the first one or two pizzas closer to the entry.this method has been used for centuries, it's simple and reliable.It's also a good party trick and makes your guests think you know what you're doing.
        Thanks. Think I need to get some semolina
        www.vdubber.com

Comment

Went out and bought some cast iron cookware from Ikea tonight. Very reasonably priced. I figure there is only so much pizza man can eat Looking forward to making some kind of casserole or stew. I especially like the idea of slow cooking using the residual heat of the oven.

I also picked up a Turkish coffee pot. It makes great coffee. Simply stick it in the oven near the fire and wait for it to boil. You have to grind the beans really fine. The trick is to take the pot off of the heat once it boils and let it sit for a short time before you pour it. This lets the grounds settle in the pot. If you are a coffee fan it's a cheap way to use the oven for making coffee.
          www.vdubber.com

Comment

In our little neck of the woods we call this "hobo" or sometimes "river" coffee. We don't use fine ground, though. A few egg shells boiled in with the grounds helps them settle out
            Last edited by Gulf; 02-24-2012, 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
              In our little neck of the woods we call this "hobo" or sometimes "river" coffee. We don't use fine ground, though. A few egg shells boiled in with the grounds helps them settle out
              The shape of the pot helps a lot, with the pot I bought you can decant the coffee off and leave most of the grounds in the pot. It has a wide flat spout that allows you to easily see when you're starting to pour the grit.

I've never made coffee this way before, I've always used a machine / percolator / cafetiere. I'm quite impressed with the results.

Managed to get a bit more of the kitchen made today. I knocked up some doors for the work counters. I used some kapur screening to match the bench seat I made. This is a teak like hardwood from Malaysia.

I made up a basic steel box frame and welded it to the flat bar that I cast into the underneath of the work surface. I also fixed it to the wall using fischer bolts. I then welded the hinges to the frame and fixed the doors. I still need to sand and oil the doors but I think that the kitchen area is really starting to come together now. I'm well pleased with the results.

The only remaining thing is to make the right hand counter top. This is a bit trickier to cast than the first one as I am going to inset the gas hob from the BBQ in it. I will probably cast this one in a box and then mortar it in place Once this is done I can then think about what kind of finish I want on the tops. I found out about concrete polishing - this is a simple as hiring a polisher for half a day so might give this a go once the second top has had time to cure a little.

Here's some pics
              www.vdubber.com

Comment

Working...
              X