Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bacterium's 2nd build

Not much to report

tonight finished a small retaining wall,ready for excavator to cut for me pool then I can drop in and fence, still got some paving, then lawn to do....... but I did manage to organise with Frank to pick up my insulation - going 75mm (3 inches) CalSil under and 75mm of blanket on dome.

Decided to go home-brew mix so just need to pick that stuff up next....... bring on daylight saving

.....maybe pizza, pool and put me feet up at Christmas
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Gudday Damon
      Well Xmas has come and gone how's progress?

Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Apologies Dave and all others........

Yes Christmas came and went...I've been under the radar getting my house finished......and somethings to keep the kids distracted while I get back to oven build.
        I've now got the Pool installed & filtered, pool paving done, fencing done, another retaining wall done, irrigation almost, lawn installed and ready to mow, chook house built and the girls just started laying, fruit trees in and espaliered, shed tidied and brick saw now in view again............and a few reds well.scattered throughout me doing all this.

Ok excuses aside.....time to get back to the forum and oven build....nothing progressed from the base.

So the plan is to do the easy way out with the oven floor and purchase some 600mm by 300mm by 75mm thick fire brick slabs........similar to floor of my very first build.
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hi

Wish i had have seen that post 3 weeks ago. Spent ages looking for a floor base giving me that 75mm thickenss. eventually found some 290x290 x75 but would have been nice to get something along the lines you are seeking.
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Colin,
            This time around I was going to do it in standard size fire brick but the seconds I have are only really good enough for dome cuts due to busted/rounded corners. So rather than just buying brand new fire bricks why not just buy them bigger. Think I could even fit them in my bricksaw to.do corner cuts
            Cheers
            Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hi damon

I am curious where you sourced them [tiles for floor] from, just for future reference and to help others that might want to do a floor with minimal seams.

Especially since i now know where to go for cheaper freight.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Gudday Damon
                Sounds like you have been busy. Good thing about a WFO , the pool would go green if left alone, grass would grow up betwwen you pavers,even the kids would go feral if left alone.....but the oven will just sit and wait for you.

regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Lol so true Dave.

Time for wood fired oven proverb........I'm enjoying a glass of red....
                  Many people talk about em , mates build cheap ones, whereas friends actually build em.

No worries Colin, Frank from Avero is the go. He had a range of thickness and shape varies between 300mm x 300mm or 600 x 300.

Ahhh wish I had a wfo pizza right now.
                  Cheers
                  Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hi damon

Actually just had a shop bought pizza. Yuk!!! dont know why i bothered could have sat here and dreamed about making one in my wfo now all completed, fired and cooking it. Yum feel full already.

I can only dream reality a few months away.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

I'm still here and just I got cracking again.... (ooopppss no pun intended for those with fresh build cracks)

Earlier last week I got my floor insulation cut and down - 75mm (3in) thick of CalSil

Weather was a bit hot Saturday but it it was out with the brick saw and wrestled the 6 fire brick floor tiles (600mm x 300mm each) through it. Managed to get some level of curve with numerous cuts. The front two will get trimmed up once arch template is ready.
                      Basically my oven floor is inside, so the first course (on outside) sits directly on the CalSil. I played around with the saw cutting guide thingy and shaved off about 5degrees each side.....laid them up and gaps were minimal....gee this is getting addictive
                      .......then it all got to much and I just "fell" into the pool.........ahhh

So effectively I cut the first 2 courses and dry laid them - picture is just part way through the first one.

I've got some ply down on the inside (top of floor) and just working out my IT/dome gauge.

Think I will also build my inner arch template with some ply. The idea is to dry lay them (only side cuts, not front/back cuts). Then as I do each course and as I get around to each arch "course" I can then do the front/back cut (of the corresponding arch brick).

I'm working on a 600mm (23in) wide inner arch
                      my oven floor internal diameter is 1150mm (45in)
                      or 575mm (22in) radius
                      so aiming for 63%
                      that would mean an inner arch height of 362mm (14in)

clear as mud!!!! if not please let me know if I'm not on the money

so once I have all the templates/gauges sorted, I'm hoping to get my high heat mortar out and be cracking!!! on the weekend.....obviously I will leave a few cuts out until the day for any "adjustments".....
                      Cheers
                      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hi Damon

Nice to see you back. Like you tiles, looking good.
                        Me i have just been getting my brick saw jig right. Will post some picks of the finished product.

Damn, can't start cutting as I'm going away this weekend, got something on the following weekend. then the weekend over easter wont get a chance to really get much done now until after easter. Can see a couple of RDO's coming on.

Are you looking at thermal breaks at all or are going to run tiles out into the vent?
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

Hello Damon,
                          I built a 42" Pompeii last summer. My interior dome height is 22.25" and my entry arch is 19.75" wide by 12.5" tall. If I were to build another oven (as you are already doing), I would make my dome height a little lower (i.e. not a true hemispherical dome).

I would target around 20". I don't know if it would make any difference, but when cooking pizza I am compelled to retain a bigger fire than I really want, to to brown the surface of my pies. Maybe it wouldn't make any difference but I wish I could bring that heat/fire closer to my floor. Everybody loves the pizza, I just wish I could get the top browned a little faster.

Just my 0.02...BTW. I also built my floor with 1'x2' Medium Duty Firebrick Tiles (2.5" thick).

Comment

Hi Damon,
                            Just picked up on this thread. I was wondering if you mounded your supporting slab up in the middle slightly to prevent any water pooling under the insulation? This is easier to do when making a vermicrete slab because you can then get back to flat on the top of it when you place the stuff. A bit more difficult if using cal sil.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Cheers guys

Colin I am going to try a thermal break this time so will probably put the outer arch above.

ATK I might play around with measurements for a bit, lower dome has some sense. My last oven was about right for top and bottom cooking evenly

david s I noticed people now talk about a sloped top slab. I went the opposite way and it all drains towards the ash slot. I figure that at least its not flat its got somewhere to go. One the blanket goes on I will fill any side gaps with concrete then render with a slope away (towards the outside, on the outside). So if I seal it good enough my water entry should be minimal anyway......hopefully
                              To get a flat surface for the calsil I levelled with sand underneath first
                              Cheers
                              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by ATK406 View Post
                                Hello Damon,

Just my 0.02...BTW. I also built my floor with 1'x2' Medium Duty Firebrick Tiles (2.5" thick).AND PHOTOS POSTED
                                Hi ATK406

Love the symmetry of the base.

Damon how are you looking at constructing the thermal break?
                                I havent decided yet if i will do so.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X