X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wozza
    replied
    And my new insulated door…

The 12mm plywood and the Hebel blocks were left over from the original build. The nuts and bolts were about $6 and the metal plates around $1.50 each. The rope I had lying around and I dug out an old leather belt from the back of the wardrobe for the handle fixings.

I cut the plywood to clear the external arch and then trimmed the Hebel blocks so that they fitted snugly into the inner arch. I then liquid nailed the blocks to the plywood and bolted them through the metal plates. I whipped the ends of the rope ‘handles’ and then fixed them to the door with short lengths of leather and a few screws and washers.

As the Hebel is such a snug fit, the whole thing stays in place without a problem. Looks kinda medieval but hopefully will keep the heat in.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied
    More recent examples of doors are here...

Finish your oven against the weather, and to look good -- even though you are already using it.

Leave a comment:

• Liteceeper
    replied
    Originally posted by mirassou View Post
    Thanks folks...I'm going to do a thick wooden door with a metal cladding on the interior surface, and another metal standoff in front of it that one of the members posted.
    Mirassou
    Have a look at my door post #74 & #75 at http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/9/sh...tml#post170496.

Sorry for the link first time back on new forum.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    As Tim said a wooden door is not suitable to try to retain heat overnight after pizza temperatures. My ovens have wooden doors with an insulating panel on the inside, because I like the look of wood, but recommend they not be placed if the temperature exceeds 300 C. Ie they should only be used for baking and roasting. If you face the wood with metal you are not protecting the wood because the metal is highly conductive and will cook the wood if it's sitting directly against it. The wood needs an insulating panel between it and the oven interior.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied
    Thanks folks...I'm going to do a thick wooden door with a metal cladding on the interior surface, and another metal standoff in front of it that one of the members posted.

Leave a comment:

• admin
    replied
    Originally posted by mirassou View Post
    Has anyone tried using Flame Stop II over a wooden door? I'm probably going to try this on a wooden door, and clad it if it looks like it won't work properly. Flame Stop is a non-toxic fire retardant.
    Mirassou,

We wouldn't recommend using a flame retardant paint over wood. The issue is that woods combustion temperature is around 450 degrees Fahrenheit. An oven can get above 900 degrees, so it isn't just about spark, but the wood heating up to a point to combust without spark. The key use for a door is to retain heat for the next day's use without requiring another fire and this application would void that option.

Tim

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied
    Probably, I like the post that has Aluminum or steel wrap around wood, with a front standoff using copper pipe.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    I haven't tried it, But, I think that it will only buy you a few minutes.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied
    Has anyone tried using Flame Stop II over a wooden door? I'm probably going to try this on a wooden door, and clad it if it looks like it won't work properly. Flame Stop is a non-toxic fire retardant.

Leave a comment:

• eatingmorefood
    replied
    Re: Pizza door design

Sorry, the door is here: @ DIY pizza, Pizza Making Supply, DIY Pizza oven, DIY pizza-ovens, DIY wood ovens, pizza Cutter, Pizza Stones, pizza knives, spice shakers, cheese shakers, crushed red pepper shaker, grill pizza, grill pizza, pizza Q, BBQ pizza, make pizza grill, makin
    Recycled piece of thick oak, wrought iron railing handle, 2 layers of particle board and 2 largers of green board, it works great ! And the thick pizza stone floor works great too !

Leave a comment:

• eatingmorefood
    replied

We used thick piece of oak, 2 layers of particle board and 2 largers of green board, it works great ! And the thick pizza stone floor works great ! Picked them up as seconds @ Pizza Making Supplies, Pizza ovens, DIY pizza ovens, DIY wood oven, Cutter, Pizza Stone, pizza knife, spice shaker, crushed red pepper, grilling pizza, grilled pizza, pizza BBQ, BBQ pizzas, make pizza on grill, making grilled pizza, smoked pizza, woo

Leave a comment:

• Camori
    replied

Harro, was in at Bunnings at Cannon Hill and they have hebel blocks all sizes for a dollar each.
    Cheers

Camo

Leave a comment:

• harro
    replied

not having much luck locating door materials in Brisbane...

Local bunnings (mt gravatt) didn't have any flat hebel, only ecoblock 800x200x200

Couldn't see any fire rated silicon there either, though i was in a bit of a rush and theres 1000's of silicons / sealants / adhesives to wade through

might have to order a temp guage from China off ebay

glass rope and door latch/handle still thinking/searching...

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Watch out for the high temp silicon it contains carcinogens (if that worries you)

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Since your a bunnings shopper try them......2 pieces of 2" are under $10

Regards Dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 10-09-2012, 02:17 AM. Reason: Spelling

Leave a comment:

Working...
X