Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

hi camo

will be interested in following your build. I too am looking at hebel base and hearth structure. I'm curious are you looking at/or have used hebel panel or hebel fence panel in the hearth? difference being double reinforcing layer in the fence panel.
    are going to be way ahead of me "new build in werribee" as i have a bit of other work to do prior to getting to the base concrete slab.

So i will be watching your build with great interest.

cheers Colin
    You
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

quick couple of questions.... how did you hebel users out there finish it?. Did you do anything with it under the oven base? I have been told that at the first course level it needs a damp course layer? or have users cemented it direct to base slab?

Cheers Colin
      Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi Colin, I used Hebel as it was a continuation of the outdoor area I had already built. I've built the base using plain 600 x 200 x 75 or 100 thick blocks and used the Hebel panel 1200 x 600 x 75 for the top. It's easy to use as you can cut them with a wood saw and mortor or even liquidnail them in place. You get a nice flat surface which you can tile straight to the block and I also used a render I got from Bunnings and applied it straight to the blocks. I just find the whole process clean & easy although with their last price rise I dont think it has turned out any cheaper.
        To answer your second question I plan to use a 50mm CF board as insulation between the Hebel base and oven floor heat bricks. Will be interesting after the build to see how hot the hebel will get underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
          quick couple of questions.... how did you hebel users out there finish it?. Did you do anything with it under the oven base? I have been told that at the first course level it needs a damp course layer? or have users cemented it direct to base slab?

Cheers Colin
          Gudday Colin
          Re Damp course this should be layed under your base so the whole structure is protected, base stand and oven. A damp course under the first course is then a bonus. Builders plastic can be purchased in small lenghts to suit smaller projects yes bunnings has these.

Regards Dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

where I mentioned under the oven base. I was referring to. do you put the calsil board, directly on the hebel panel hearth out do you great it first, ie seal the panel, and is the calsil board fixed to the panel if so using what.

My build at standstill as I have some infrastructure work to do first. But watching your build with great interest.

Cheers guys.
            Cheers Colin

Comment

Thx Dave best info I have found re damp course. Hebel people ummmed and arrrrd, were my to sure, but will go with what you have said

Cheers guys
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Well guys after a little lay off I thought I better give a bit of an update on the progress. Got three sheets of ceramic fibre board from the local supplier Total Refractory Management, they sell two sizes 900 x 600 and 1000 x 500 both at $50 a sheet. Hope the expense is worth it but as everyone on here says you can never have enough insulation. They also sell the blanket as well 600 wide either 25mm or 50mm thick at $128 per roll
                Anyway let me tell you this CF board is soooo soft and you need to handle it with kid gloves. After marking out the shape of the oven I cut it with a jigsaw which was no problem at all. So tomorrow I plan to mortar the CF board in so it is nice and level and flat to lay the bricks on

Comment

Hi Camori,

Save your scrapes for an insulated oven door.

Comment

Today I decided to get all the supplies ready so took a ride out to Ipswich (Claypave) to pick up the fire bricks. Decided on the 75mm thick @ $3.50 ea
                    (27% alumina content)- got a hundred which is under what i need I think but a this price don't want to have any left over. Got a bag of fire clay as well. I read on the forum that the fire bricks are heavy but I really was surprised how heavy they were. Now I'm wondering if I have reinfrced the stand enough !!

Then off to Bunnings to get the cement, lime and sand. I plan on using the poor mans mix of 1 part cement.1 part lime.1 part fire clay .3 parts sand that is recommended by everyone here. Couldn't believe how many varieties there are of sand (Double washed, tilers, sand gap, riversand, course sand and more) Got the course sand and off white cement - full steam ahead - I really think I'm going to enjoy this build.

Comment

Thanks Laurentius, still researching the door but yes I have put them aside as I'm sure they wiill get used somewhere. Not that much left though. I was planning on doing a trial run with a small bit of CF board and hebel brick tomorrow to see how the mortar will work as I think both pieces will suck the water out of it

Comment

seems we're travelling the same roads. i picked up CF boards from same place, plan on using the leftovers for my oven doors, and been out to Dinmore twice now for firebricks. gladly done with them now with just about 0.5 leftover but my current challenge is the oven doors. Can i ask you where you got your hebel from? My bunnings only had Eco block in 800x200x200 size which isnt very convenient for insulating a small oven door.

Also, your storage doors under your WFO and BBQ, are they just plywood with alum angle edging? how are they holding up to the elements?

Comment

Well Harro, was in Bunning today at Cannon Hill and they had them on special (75 and 100mm) for a dollar each - they must be getting out of being their supplier. if that is too far away there is a supplier at Salibury however I think the CF board would be better as it will be much lighter
                          The doors are made of stained ply wrapped in an aluminium c section- I coated them with a marine grade sealer - can't remember the name - over two years ago and haven't touched then since but they'll probably need another coat soon.

Comment

Gudday
                            You can get 50mm hebel from Salisbury but if you use the thicker stuff from bunnings clamp a couple of pieces of wood to the sides and rip it thinner with a hand saw. You can shape with a rasp cut with a chisel sand it wouldn't use power tools though .....to dusty

Regards dave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once

My Build
                            My Door

Comment

Gudday
                              Before I forget cut a deep revel so the largest mass fits into the oven entrance that way you get a good seal to keep the heat in and away from any wood metal handles etc

Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

Gudday Camo
                                you have brick fire clay etc so I recon about now you have been playing at least with your new toys and perhaps have a floor down already.
                                A coupla things your going to discover apart from the weight of the bricks if your cutting them dry there pretty dusty. So if you doing the angle grinder and bulster thing drop them in a bucket of water for a min or two to minimise the dust. they'll make the water fiz like soda ...amazing how something so heavy could contain so much air.
                                Also what i found as a mug bricklayer only having a small batch of mortar gave you plenty of time to "play" and learn. Used a 10 litre bucket and mixed 1/4 of that with a paint stirrer on an electric drill.
                                Its great mortar the poor mans mortar....the firclay give you a good "slip" and heaps easier to use than plain mortar. Make it fairly "wet" so you can squish those bricks into position the first time....to dry and its to hard to position and you can't move them again it breaks the bond.
                                Wheathers to remain dry so I recon its full steam ahead you'll have a dome in no time

Regards Dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once

My Build
                                My Door

Comment

Working...
                                X