• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

Gudday
    Gudonyay spelling " good on you"
    Regards
    Dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 10-28-2012, 03:55 AM.
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
      Gudday Laurentius
      Don't know that add, but I recon its all about the connection...? How did I make the connection? dont rightly remember. I can tell you I'm not unlike many of the other Australians on the forum we live in a thinly populated country at the bottom of a big world. In most cases you can't just pop down to the local shop you have to make do with whats around you...and the childbrides kitchens not off limits (unless she finds out).
      I have used margarine for other things. Remember making a water slid for the kids, you know the type. Sloping ground, a lenght of builders plastic,running garden hose at the top end add a squirt of mums dishwashing liquid and a bunch of hot bored kids. Its great fun that till the first one gets an eye full of detergent water. The kids and me figured out to use margarine smeared on the top 1/3...the cold water stops it from melting and its extra super slippery. It wreaks the kids clothing ...but what the heck, your going to get in trouble with the childbride sometime anyway you may as well be having fun getting into trouble. ( the kids retaught me that one, also the one about the biggest older kid taking the Rap for the rest)

Regards Dave
      That reminds me of the 70's when a sheet of plastic, alcohol and a bottle of baby oil was good adult fun.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Well thought I would give you all a bit of an update. Finally got the floor down. I used a mix of fireclay and water. This I found quite difficult to work with as it was very hot when I did it and the insulation and brick really sucked the water out of the mix. I couldnt use the notched trowel as it would just scrape the whole mix along with it. Ended up soaking the bricks in water and pouring water over the insulation first. Didn't notch the mortor and just trowelled it as level as I could and tapped the bricks down level. Did one, max two bricks at a time but I think it has worked out well in the end ( apart from the heat stroke)
        Didn't see the post from cobblerdave until I had finished as I think this would have helped heaps

Comment

You aint supposed to stick the hearth bricks down, they need to move with the expansion of the oven.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

This weekend had a bit of time and cut all the bricks for the soldier course. At first I was going to use half bricks cut square for this and build the courses up from there but in the end decided to use the full brick and cut the angle. Figured it would give me a good guide on the first course and I can use the small wedge offcuts later in the build to use as fillers. Just used a string line from the centre of the oven to the top of the brick.
            So next step is to mortor then all together .

Comment

Thanks Brickie from oz I only used a mix of fireclay and water. Thay are just sitting on top of the mix so I could get a smooth surface for the floor. Is there any problem with that ??

Comment

If its only clay it will be right, the problems start if you use a a setting compound.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Had a look on e-bay the other day and saw this wood for sale and put in a bid - picked it up for $10.50 - pick it up next week - Might give my two teenage boys something to do to break it down - if you can ever get them off the computer

Comment

$10.50? Thats a steal!
                    Check out my pictures here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

More wood

Just picked up more wood through e-bay -
                      This lot for $30 - What a great buy

First picture is what I bought on e-bay

Second is when I got it all home.

Comment

Had a day off today so got stuck into the first soldier course. Seems to have gone not too bad.
                        Photos attached

Comment

Help guys I'm a bit unsure on this I'm about to hook the soldier course in with the base of the inner arch and have a question. Should I mortor down the bottom brick (underside) of the arch onto the floor bricks or should this float as well ???

Comment

Gudday
                            Let if float .....on that point , take the time to jam some some cardboard in the juction between the hearth floor and soldier course. You don't want dribs of mortar packing down in their during construction you'll want you hearth to be able expand and contract independent to that soldier course.
                            Regards dave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once
                            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                            My Door
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

hey camo, great build so far,

one question, how did you get the oven floor bricks so well rounded in their cut. did you use a band saw?

cheers
                              brendan
                              The build has started. 40" pompeii. With mosaic tile exterior.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=dcdb2f715c

Comment

Cheers Brendan, bit of an optical illusion I think. I don't think it would be possible to use a band saw as these fire bricks are big and heavy. I'm using a cheap saw I picked up at Bunnings for $50, last one, no box etc I think they were going for $100 anyway most of the cuts are straight only on the long ones along the brick was I able to make two or three cuts and round it up a bit. But yes I was happy how it turned out.

Comment

Working...
                                X