Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

Well guys, after going through this website over a couple of months I've decided to have a go at building my own 36' (900mm) pizza oven. Will probably need lots of advice from everyone on this forum as I go hopefully thanking you all in advance. It will be a slow build but will start tomorrow modifying my existing outdoor area
    Last edited by Camori; 09-08-2012, 08:16 PM.

Re: Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

Gudday Camo
    Welcome on board.....Its good to see another oven in Brisbane. Whats your plans for your oven to date?

Regards Dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 09-09-2012, 01:06 AM. Reason: speelong
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi Camo

I am near Brisbane ... I am getting closer to finishing my oven it is 900mm diameter as well.

I think I am up to 16 months. Am working on my enclosure and flue. Really should be firing it up soon but want to finish the roof etc before summer storm season.

Good luck

Brett

Comment

Cheers Brett - mate hoping to finish before 16 months but I know the best laid plans can go haywire - How have you found yoor build ??? Many problems ???

Comment

Dave, Built an outdoor area a couple of years ago just off the pergola. I made it out of hebel bricks which I found easy to use, tiled it and didn't turn out too bad but always was missing something so now I am going to enlarge one off the areas and build a WFO on top. Will continue with the hebel bricks as I believe they will provide great insulation underneath.
          Last edited by Camori; 09-09-2012, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Guys, actually started taking off some tiles this afternoon - Wife thinks I'm crazy But here goes NO turning back now. You can see the size it will be sketched on the ground
            Last edited by Camori; 09-09-2012, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Camo

No real problems with the build just time and seems to just get a bigger job as I made a few decisions like instead of stuccoing the dome to do a roof and enclosure

I think it is best to decide on a few design things early on as they affect some sizing. I have not got time tonight but I will post a few things I learnt along the way, which may help

Brett

Comment

Hey Brett, I had a look at your thread and your build looks great but your last post was May last year when you had fininshed half the dome
                Where are you upto now How about another update

Well I have had a couple of days off and threw myself at the stand. I have deliberated long and hard whether to continue with the hebel brick and in the end decided to stick with it as the position will be good and didn't want to destroy all the hard work I had done previously
                I reinforced under the stand to make sure it wll take the weight and then lengthened it.
                Length now is 1500 x 1500 (5' x 5') which should be ample for a 36" WFO
                I am not worried that this stand will not take the weight however I am planning on putting a 50mm ceramic fibre board and then using 60 or 65 mm thick heat bricks.
                My issue is how hot would it get underneath the CF board as I am afraid that too much heat may make the hebel brick brittle over time ?? Any thoughts anyone ????
                I could possibly go 75mm on the CF board or even 75mm on the heat bricks
                Last edited by Camori; 09-14-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

another brisbanite here, good start camo. did you use the hebel bricks as the bench?

i just bought a couple of 25mm ceramic boards to go under the firebricks (prob 60 or 75mm thk) on the base of my bbq/oven, i was hoping that would be enough.

Comment

Take a look at this thread, it has all my photos.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...aga-16348.html

I suggest that you decide a few build options early on:
                    -size of flue
                    -type of dome insulation and thickness
                    -how you are going to do the inner arch
                    -when you get to the last 3 rows of the dome, I suggest you build an internal support from underneath and raise up slightly with each row

Hope the build goes well
                    Brett

Comment

Gudday Camo
                      Well I have had a couple of days off and threw myself at the stand. I have deliberated long and hard whether to continue with the hebel brick and in the end decided to stick with it as the position will be good and didn't want to destroy all the hard work I had done previously
                      I reinforced under the stand to make sure it wll take the weight and then lengthened it.
                      Length now is 1500 x 1500 (5' x 5') which should be ample for a 36" WFO
                      I am not worried that this stand will not take the weight however I am planning on putting a 50mm ceramic fibre board underneath the hearth and then using 60 or 65 mm thick heat bricks.
                      My issue is how hot would it get underneath the CF board as I am afraid that too much heat may make the hebel brick brittle over time ?? Any thoughts anyone ????
                      I could possibly go 75mm on the CF board or even 75mm on the heat bricks
                      Camo I have hebel directly under the hearth as insulation ..2years on no probs. But I think you are going down the right and cautious path by using the ceramic to take the main heat. 50mm is more than enough I think 75 mm is perhaps a little too much.
                      1500 is big enough for a 36 in (900mm) because you'll have 12 in ( 300mm) either side of the hearth. 4 1/2 in (116 mm)1/2 brick dome leavinf 7 ins (184 mm) for insulation, dome? enclosure?
                      By the way fire brick from Dinmore are 115 x 75 x 232 mm

Regards Dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once

My Build
                      My Door

Comment

Dave, contacted Claypave at Dinmore the other day and they said they do heat bricks in 50, 60, 65 and 75mm thickness all at the same price $3.50 ea.
                        Bricks are as you say 115 x 230mm
                        What would be the pro's and con's between a 60 and 75 mm ??
                        I would have thought that a 60mm heat brick would have heated up quicker therefore using less wood but also losing the heat quicker

Comment

Gudday camo
                          That's interesting I didn't remember that dinmore made different thicknesses.
                          I really don,t see to much difference between 60 and 75.
                          from what I have read most of the Formo ovens take about 1 &F 1/2 hours to get to full pizza heat same as mine. That's regardless of size . The size of the oven will determine you wood usage. I wouldnt go to thin on the floor however cause the walls are are 115 mm(1/2 brick) Thick. You would probably notice the difference in heat retention then.
                          I layed the floor 75mm thick not the 115 way because I didn't see myself needing a higher mass for extended bread making etc. the oven works well for me with enough heat next day for a roast to be cooked. you don't need to bring it to pizza heat either if you want to cook other things a smaller fire and burning time will do.
                          Regards Dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

Originally posted by Camori View Post
                            What would be the pro's and con's between a 60 and 75 mm ??
                            I would have thought that a 60mm heat brick would have heated up quicker therefore using less wood but also losing the heat quicker
                            I used 75mm - I would use 75mm on the floor - Yes it will take more wood to heat a 75mm vs 60mm floor but you have more mass to hold more heat at no extra cost. If you use 75mm on the walls you actually should use slightly less bricks than using 60mm, so it will be cheaper in the end. If you cut the bricks in half length ways as per the pompeii plans... then each course of the dome will be 75mm high. That is what I did and it worked fine - I did a template of the bricks so I could get the dome curve right to create the desired dome height.

Brett

Comment

Thanks Guys, I have decided to go with the 75mm heat bricks. So the base of the pizza oven will be the stand made out of 75mm hebel, then 50mm ceramic fibre board and then 75mm heat bricks. Should be ample insulation. Actually the stand turned out a little low at 880mm (approx 35") high so overall the oven base height is going to be 1025mm (approx 40 1/2") Still low by all the other blogs on this site who recommend 44" or more but I think it will be OK. Have to take it slow for the next month as the better half has gone back to the mother country and left me with the kids and everything else.

Comment

Working...
                              X