Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

Thanks for the great advice Dave- Yes I am chaffing at the bit to get going but have been working on the "indespensibe tool" and cutting a bit of ply to protect the fire bricks on the floor Got these pieces for the "indespensibe tool" from the local hardware store for about $14 and think they will do the job. Just have to get an angle iron piece welded on the end. Works out the height of the dome will be approx 485mm instead of 450 but I think I can shorten it in a bit as I get to the top of the dome.
    Anyway slowly slowly, should start to cut the floor this weekend and then if time, lay a few bricks. Should be interesting as this is the first time at bricklaying although I've layed a few slabs in my time.
    Cheers
    Camo

Comment

Mortor or Float the oven floor ?

Guys just started laying and cutting the oven floor but can't seem to get a flat surface even on top of the CF board. In some places I have a lip of 2mm which I think will catch the peel.
      Should I mortor the floor in and what type of mortor would it be. I thought maybe fireclay and water or should I just grind the lips off later.
      If I leave the floor to float then I will be able to change (maybe) bricks in the future if the crack or become damaged >>

Any thoughts
      Cheers

Camo

Comment

Gudday Camo
        Put down a slurry of fireclay and water.Smooth it out roughly then use a notched trowl like you use for tiling (with large notchs). you can get a cheap plastic one use one for a couple of $.
        Once you have smoothed the slurry out with the trowel start laying. Next brick up to the first so they touch first then lower into position and a tap with a trowel to set it level with the first. Dont lower first then push them together the slurry packs up & makes gapes between the bricks and ruins the level.
        No need to mortar them down let them float, expand and contract, ash packs in the cracks etc if you mortar you make it stiff and it will probably crack during use. Mines level 2 years on now.
        Have only heard of one with ruined hearth bricks as he used mineral coal and it was to hot so dont worry about that. Its good still to know its possible to replace if the slim chance it does happen.
        How did you go with the IT if you still need he angle welded on give a a PM I have a welder

Regards Dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi Camo,

I had similar issues with my floor, I was laying on a vermiculite layer. I found that the fireclay mix recommended to lay on, given the warm weather and vermiculite absorption of water, was drying too quick which made the brick laying problematic.

I ended up laying a thin layer of sand with fireclay, getting it level, laying the bricks level (as suggested by Dave) and then lightly water over top, which ran between the bricks setting the clay.

I have not had any problems so far, and after curing and three major cookoffs, floor still level.

Cheers

Craig
          "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
          The Pirate Captain

Comment

Cheers guys, don't know how I would go without this site. I wasn't quite sure whether to sit them on the fireclay. I had seen this method on Karangi Dude's build as well aqs others so should have taken this as gospel - his build is fantastic
            Anyway if there are any lips after this I'll just grind them back

Should get the floor bedded down this week end I hope

Cheers

Camo

Comment

Gudday Craig
              Thanks Craig Camos going to facing heat and dry winds this wkend
              Talking about dry how did you find laying firebricks did you find it sucked your mortar dry? And how did you get around it?

Regards Dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once

My Build
              My Door

Comment

Hi Dave,

As I started laying bricks in the heat and finished in the cold, the chemical reaction of the mortar was always dictating how to work.

I followed forum suggestions by mixing small quantaties of poormans mortar in a bucket with a paint stirrer on a drill. I used a large tin as measuring device ( 800+gm tin size, red kidney bean to give it a mexican feel, hee hee), this worked out to give a consistent mix and was quick. This was sufficient mortar for say 10 -12 bricks on lower courses, and probably 6 or so in higher courses as the angles increased. I did not shape the brick top or bottom.

I placed 8 to 10 half bricks in a large oversize bucket of water to soak whilst I mixed the mortar. The bricks soaked up enough water to not be too wet and not rip the moisture from the mortar, nor make the mortar too wet when placing the brick. I also lightly wet down the previous courses to enable them to be a bit wet too.

I found this enabled me to lay fire bricks quickly and efficiently. Some days I just had to accept it was too hot or too cold to be laying bricks, and just drank beer instead!!

Cheers

Craig
                "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
                The Pirate Captain

Comment

Gudday
                  Finally remembered what I did to stop the water from getting sucked out of the slurry by the insulation! Margarine !!! Yep ordinary old table spread a thin layer on the insulation ....you then get an instant bio degradable waterproof layer. Sorry cam I remembered this do late ....perhaps it will help someone else

Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once

My Build
                  My Door

Comment

Gudday,

You have me laughing my @&& off! How in the devil, did you come up with THAT??
                    It make me think of the old Reece's Peanut Butter Cup, commercial of the two kids that run into each others, one eating a chocolate bar and the other peanut butter. This I need to hear?

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                      Gudday
                      Finally remembered what I did to stop the water from getting sucked out of the slurry by the insulation! Margarine !!! Yep ordinary old table spread a thin layer on the insulation ....you then get an instant bio degradable waterproof layer. Sorry cam I remembered this do late ....perhaps it will help someone else

Regards dave
                      You can also just use a dry mix 50/50 sand, fireclay and apply it dry over the insulation. That way there is no need to worry about it drying up solidly too quickly.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                        Gudday,

You have me laughing my @&& off! How in the devil, did you come up with THAT??
                        It make me think of the old Reece's Peanut Butter Cup, commercial of the two kids that run into each others, one eating a chocolate bar and the other peanut butter. This I need to hear?
                        Gudday Laurentius
                        Don't know that add, but I recon its all about the connection...? How did I make the connection? dont rightly remember. I can tell you I'm not unlike many of the other Australians on the forum we live in a thinly populated country at the bottom of a big world. In most cases you can't just pop down to the local shop you have to make do with whats around you...and the childbrides kitchens not off limits (unless she finds out).
                        I have used margarine for other things. Remember making a water slid for the kids, you know the type. Sloping ground, a lenght of builders plastic,running garden hose at the top end add a squirt of mums dishwashing liquid and a bunch of hot bored kids. Its great fun that till the first one gets an eye full of detergent water. The kids and me figured out to use margarine smeared on the top 1/3...the cold water stops it from melting and its extra super slippery. It wreaks the kids clothing ...but what the heck, your going to get in trouble with the childbride sometime anyway you may as well be having fun getting into trouble. ( the kids retaught me that one, also the one about the biggest older kid taking the Rap for the rest)

Regards Dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once

My Build
                        My Door

Comment

Now, I understand why you call it: Oz.

Comment

Thinking it, but couldn't say it. You're a bigger man than me, Charlie Brown!

Comment

Gudday you 2
                              Look at your own wedding photos......with the wife, and make the childbride comment.....putty in your hands.
                              By the way laurentius you pronounce "good day" really well!

Rgards Dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

Hi Dave,

Give me a month and I will write it like a native!

Comment

Working...
                                X