Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brickie in oz
    replied
    Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
    metal bar and carry that bar into the structure of the dome.
    Steel and ovens dont do well together unless you have the steel away from the heat and insulated.

Leave a comment:

• Lancer
    replied

I'm all over it cobblerdave, though I'm considering altering the insulating plan a bit. I'll have double plenty of vermiculite insulation in the floor as the floor will be raised into the onion dome to define the outward turn of the base of the dome. Then above outside the dome maybe 10" of vermiculite, why not? It will hopefully be cheaper than dirt on a volcanic island, yes? Then the outer coating and eventually the mosaic.

Thanks for the great advice cobblerdave!

Also I'm considering a method that will allow me to omit the brick supports of the arch. Since I'm making my own brick why not make some 12" long, or whatever, that will pass through the structure of the dome and sit on the short bricks of the dome getting support from all the above. I'll also put refractory cement on top of the arch bricks with metal bar and carry that bar into the structure of the dome.

The center of the arch bricks will have to be supported by those to the side and below as the chimney passes through that point, yes? The chimney itself will rise out of the refractory cement which carries the arch brick from above and while that might be heavy remember I'm bending the chimney back into the 10" of insulation and having it come out the top to help create the onion shape.

This might be fun, I'm going for it.

Hmm, I wonder if I could fire a single brick in the shape of the arch itself. The mold would be an interesting carpentry job.
    Last edited by Lancer; 04-22-2013, 09:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Add this one at the top of the list
    Insulate Insulate and finally INSULATE!

Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Lancer
    replied

That is a good read, thanks cobblerdave.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/sear...earchid=478079

I'm going to list here what I want to take on down the road...

Silica 38%
    "The bricks are fired at about 900 degrees for about a month using smoldering rice husks."
    "If you dont provide sideways thrust (buttressing) to an arch it will fail, build some fancy brickwork to the side of the arch."
    "Steve, you should start the fires to eliminate the water from the oven before you do the stucco."
    "Decide in haste, repent at leisure."
    Last edited by Lancer; 04-22-2013, 03:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Type in "Tanzania/Canada into the search section of the forum and you will find a build which uses pumice insulation.

Regards dave

Leave a comment:

Working...
X