Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36inch build in Redlands

Originally posted by stevo70 View Post
    Thanks heaps Dave, I'll aim for around 20 to 30mm, should be plenty. Not the best weather for drying out my oven right now that's for sure. Had a look at Gulfs jig for keeping it round. Yeah I'll be in that. This site is so good for ideas and information. Also, I really like your veneer bricks so if my rendering skills turn out to be limited, I might copy your brick veneer idea too. Did you get the brick tiles locally? They do look good.
    Gudday
    Could not find anything local so mine are made of 1/2 brick split down the middle with brick bulster and layed like normal brick over the dome . If you check out V-wiz build and gulfs they have actually split the bricks down themselves using a bricksaw and layed them like tiles the grouted the gapes
    It was V- wizs oven that gave me the idea so there not much that's new around here
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi Steve,

Love the oven! it was great reading through all the posts to see the journey. I was hoping to build a 36" as well. Given my lack of experience (Lego being my main construction medium, and not for 20years or so...) I decided to buy a DIY kit. I finished it on the weekend, all in one day which was a great, feel a little cheated though seeing your experience and awesome oven. Maybe if I move I will give the oven another go and build from scratch...

I have covered mine with render (Dunlop Acrylic render bought at Bunnings). It has been curing since Saturday and there are a couple of little cracks in it around the place (2-3). Not sure what to do with those, if anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate some input. They're very thin and not too long, maybe 100-200mm long... I'm thinking of giving it a coat or two of concrete water sealant as well.

Once again, congrats on the build, absolutely awesome!!

Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Here's a quick pic of mine...

Comment

Didn't matter how it's achieved, you have an oven. And I assume eating pizza..

So well done.
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Hey Steve

What is happening with you finisheur build. Have you finished yet?
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by mothy View Post
              Hi Steve,

Love the oven! it was great reading through all the posts to see the journey. I was hoping to build a 36" as well. Given my lack of experience (Lego being my main construction medium, and not for 20years or so...) I decided to buy a DIY kit. I finished it on the weekend, all in one day which was a great, feel a little cheated though seeing your experience and awesome oven. Maybe if I move I will give the oven another go and build from scratch...

I have covered mine with render (Dunlop Acrylic render bought at Bunnings). It has been curing since Saturday and there are a couple of little cracks in it around the place (2-3). Not sure what to do with those, if anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate some input. They're very thin and not too long, maybe 100-200mm long... I'm thinking of giving it a coat or two of concrete water sealant as well.

Once again, congrats on the build, absolutely awesome!!

Cheers,

Tim
              Hi Tim, Thanks for the comments mate. As they said, nothing wrong with a DIY oven. Your cooking pizzas and i'm still scratching my head and looking at an unfinished oven... I planned to use that same Bunnings render. How thick did you put it on? Steve

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                Hey Steve

What is happening with you finisheur build. Have you finished yet?
                G'day Col, I've had a break from the oven for a while. Just came back from a month long trip up to Darwin, fishing along the rivers that lead into the Gulf of Carpentaria as we went. No Barra unfortunately but heaps of crocks. Bit scary looking at them from my 11ft tinny and knowing they are probably bigger. Anyhow, made it back alive. Have some night shifts to do this week and then will try and get a start on insulating. Looks like more rain coming just to make it interesting. Steve

Comment

Not quite coking yet but dead keen (maybe on the weekend), still need to cure the oven and don't want to push it too hard. The render was great easy to use, I put some bondcrete in the mix as well. I reckon it is between 15-25mm in most places, although around the flue and front arch it may be a bit thicker as I wanted some shape. First time rendering and as I said it was pretty manageable. We mixed in a wheelbarrow, 1 x 20kg bag at a time... Been really wet here which has freaked me out a little

I look forward to seeing your end product.

Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Hi Steve

Great job on the oven and it looks awesome. Have you finished it off?

Just out of curiosity, have you still got your brick saw and are you still planning to sell it? I'm a fellow Brisbanite just starting on a build and might be interested.

Cheers

Mark
                    My build --> http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/fi...d-20033-1.html

Comment

Gday Mark, Still not finished mate, Have taken some time out for a trip up north and now I'm taking care of all the other jobs that have been stacking up around the house. Not far away from getting back into it tho. One good thing is it is drying/curing nice and slow and I shouldn't have to worry about so many small fires to dry it out. I have tiled the bench top with large terracotta tiles which look really good. They'll be in the next round of photos I put up I suppose. I bought half a dozen bags of render yesterday from Bunnings and having not used it before I'm a bit nervous as to how it will go but it couldn't be any harder than what I've just completed. Going to start off with rendering the block base. As for the saw, I've sort of sold it to my brother in law so sorry I cant help you with that. There are lots of second hand ones around. Keep an eye on Gumtree but you need to be quick for a good one that's cheap. Try and find one with a good blade as a decent new one is around $100. Good luck mate and thanks for the comments. Steve

Comment

Gave the oven another couple of days work... Finished rendering the block base, painted the render and top tiling is done. Looking the part so far but as long as it cooks well, I'll be happy.

Comment

On the home stretch now... Wrapped the oven with 3 layers of the ceramic fibre blanket. On the last layer, I was short just a small patch at the back and I didn't want to buy another expensive blanket just for that small piece so acquired a piece of roofing insulation and packed it in nice and tight there. Hopefully wont be a problem. Theres a 50mm layer of cf underneath it. Wired it all up and got the first coat of render on. Had my first fire too. Didn't go crazy with the heat just for now. Cant see any cracks yet. 2nd render coat today and some paint in a week or so and its DONE... I think next time I would build my chimney from nicer bricks and leave it as bare brick. I don't really like the rendered chimney base but I think I'll be able to live with it.
                          Last edited by stevo70; 11-28-2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Looking good! The finish on the chimney base should end up ok. I think we all have a little list of what we would change if/when we build another one. I am sure that you will be happy with it.

Your build was quite fast. Mine was a similar time. Only a short time between the first whiff of smoke to the smell of the first pizza cooking. Curing fires do generate enough heat to roast things though............
                            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Glad I decided on using the blanket only and not mucking around with vermiculite. It was very easy just to wrap it up and pull some wire over the top.

Comment

Well had the oven up around 200-250 deg today so I slapped together a roast Pork and some veges into a roasting tray and threw it in. Left the door off as it was maintaining the heat just with the coals up the back. Well it is possibly the best roast I've ever had. The potato was crispy and the crackling was superb. Pizza is next...

Comment

Working...
                                X