New 36inch castable build in Brisbane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New 36inch castable build in Brisbane

My oven is cast like yours, but I made wooden forms first. I also built it inside my garage with a reinforced base that allows me to move it--at least into and out of the garage using a forklift. I first did not know where to put the oven permanently but now it is decided. I have read too many stories of ovens that get water inside that need to be dried out repeatedly--I have chosen to make a permanent place under cover with less chance of rain damaging it. We get a lot of rain here and typhoons that hit us every year. Also, want to be able to use it no matter the weather or season--day or night. So that is the reason for permanent place. The structure is not that large--9 feet (2.73m) x 24 feet (7.28m) most being wood storage. I decided to change the way I handle wood also. I'll be making metal cages that attach to the top of plastic pallets. I can fill the cages when processing the wood, cover them with a tarp and shrink wrap it into place (on top of the pile) and allow it to air dry outdoors. When it is partially seasoned, it can be forked into the shed. I'll use a pallet jack to move the pallets around as needed. This preparation takes the piling and re-piling out of storing wood. Just need to move the fully seasoned wood to the front for use, and keep filling the shed as wood becomes available. Each pallet will contain 1.8m3 of wood if tightly stacked and the shed will hold 18m3 in total. There will be plenty of wood for several years considering that volume.

My final finish on the oven will be a Japan Plaster treatment. The product is sold as Cal Nouvelle and can be pigmented to a wide variety of colors. It can be used as an interior or exterior treatment--waterproof??? I really do not think so--but like all masonry absorbs some but is very stable. There are a whole variety of plasters available here through specialty masonry outlets--some traditional with hemp fiber and others with modern fiber.

The oven is out of commission for a while right now because I cannot get a forklift close enough to move it outdoors. There are two huge piles of sand and crushed stone blocking the entrance to the garage right now. I am mixing all the concrete by hand for my footings, short walls, and a retainer wall near the main road. The actual slabs will use ready mix. Maybe I can make an opening large enough to get the oven out long enough to roast a Thanksgiving Turkey.

Do you Auzzies celebrate some type of Thanksgiving or is that just a Yank thing? The Japanese have a day similar to Thanksgiving but don't know the name for it.

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
      My oven is cast like yours, but I made wooden forms first. I also built it inside my garage with a reinforced base that allows me to move it--at least into and out of the garage using a forklift. I first did not know where to put the oven permanently but now it is decided. I have read too many stories of ovens that get water inside that need to be dried out repeatedly--I have chosen to make a permanent place under cover with less chance of rain damaging it. We get a lot of rain here and typhoons that hit us every year. Also, want to be able to use it no matter the weather or season--day or night. So that is the reason for permanent place. The structure is not that large--9 feet (2.73m) x 24 feet (7.28m) most being wood storage. I decided to change the way I handle wood also. I'll be making metal cages that attach to the top of plastic pallets. I can fill the cages when processing the wood, cover them with a tarp and shrink wrap it into place (on top of the pile) and allow it to air dry outdoors. When it is partially seasoned, it can be forked into the shed. I'll use a pallet jack to move the pallets around as needed. This preparation takes the piling and re-piling out of storing wood. Just need to move the fully seasoned wood to the front for use, and keep filling the shed as wood becomes available. Each pallet will contain 1.8m3 of wood if tightly stacked and the shed will hold 18m3 in total. There will be plenty of wood for several years considering that volume.

My final finish on the oven will be a Japan Plaster treatment. The product is sold as Cal Nouvelle and can be pigmented to a wide variety of colors. It can be used as an interior or exterior treatment--waterproof??? I really do not think so--but like all masonry absorbs some but is very stable. There are a whole variety of plasters available here through specialty masonry outlets--some traditional with hemp fiber and others with modern fiber.

The oven is out of commission for a while right now because I cannot get a forklift close enough to move it outdoors. There are two huge piles of sand and crushed stone blocking the entrance to the garage right now. I am mixing all the concrete by hand for my footings, short walls, and a retainer wall near the main road. The actual slabs will use ready mix. Maybe I can make an opening large enough to get the oven out long enough to roast a Thanksgiving Turkey.

Do you Auzzies celebrate some type of Thanksgiving or is that just a Yank thing? The Japanese have a day similar to Thanksgiving but don't know the name for it.
      Hi mikku,

Your oven is unique, the casting and interior finish are fantastic. A lot of work must have gone into it. It's a shame that your insulating layer cracked. I will be careful to get as mush water out of the dome and layers as possible, to prevent similar issues with the final finish. I hope I am successful in getting and keeping water out. It is still a worry though. I would put a roof over it, but think it would wreck the look at its location. Fingers crossed that it will work out.

It sounds like you have enough wood for years. and well sorted out storage methodology, and big plans for the ovens new location. Lots of work... hope it don't take to long.

Aussies don't celebrate thanksgiving. We would celebrate it though, if we had a public holiday
      Last edited by brissie; 11-19-2013, 03:49 AM.

Comment

You have been covering your oven during rainy times with a plastic sheet or tarp whatever you want to call it. The outdoor area you have right now seems to be a shed roof. Just extending it a little to cover the oven would be enough to keep the rain away. Extending it enough to keep water that drains off the roof from splashing on the dome itself would be enough.

I do not have any covered area so I have to make the space that you already have. I need firewood for two things, heating the house to keep it comfortable and firing the oven to make all kinds of goodies. That is the reason for a woodshed.

Here, land is sold by the tsubo. 1 tsubo = 3.31m2.
        In a previous life, my home had 23 acres.. A really small parcel by USA standards..at least in a rural area. Here, the same parcel would make me some kind of a land baron with 30,000 tsubo! An unbelievable large size piece of property by Japan standards. Right now, I try to utilize the space I own the best I can.

As far as cracks in the perlite layer of insulation--really no big deal. The dome itself shows no sign of cracks and it is made in halfs. I saw a hairline crack in the transition but nothing to be concerned about. Hairline, and when you fire the next time, the soot covers the line.

What I see as a setting for my oven is a room about 8' wide x 9 feet deep with the oven centered. Eventually, the floor will be a ceramic tile. the wainscot height will also be tile with all the remaining areas being aromatic cedar. Just a nice clean space to make things. There will be a large sliding door that keeps the oven out of sight and clean when not in use.

I think that a WFO is a great addition to any property and a centerpiece for outdoor entertaining.

I am glad that I began this project. I see no end in things that can be done using a WFO. Keeps me busy thinking of new things to make or bake!

I think you will enjoy your build as much as we have enjoyed ours so far!
        cheers
        Gary

As far as thanksgiving goes--the USA view of the holiday was to show thanks for the bountiful harvest the early settlers had when they came to the foreign shores what would later be the USA. I am sure, the original settlers to Australia faced a lot of difficulties and at some time they wanted to show thanks to their creator for the bounty they received when harvest time came. I do not know the history of Australia but it must have been difficult for the first people to make a go there. Anyway, Thanksgiving is celebrated by Americans --the last Thursday of November each year! I will find a Turkey and prepare it like my ancestors did--and will thank my creator for the bounty that has been provided to me. Thus Thanksgiving!

If you do not have a national holiday called Thankgiving. Why not start one now! A great reason for friends, family and acquaintances to get together and enjoy some good food and friendship. Who needs a holiday to do this?

Comment

You have been covering your oven during rainy times with a plastic sheet or tarp whatever you want to call it. The outdoor area you have right now seems to be a shed roof. Just extending it a little to cover the oven would be enough to keep the rain away. Extending it enough to keep water that drains off the roof from splashing on the dome itself would be enough.
          I have thought about extending the roof, but the angles don't line up, ether hight, or aspect. The house is based on a modern Queenslander Queenslander (architecture) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I would like to keep the theme, and keep the built environment in balance with the outside.

I think that a WFO is a great addition to any property and a centerpiece for outdoor entertaining.

I am glad that I began this project. I see no end in things that can be done using a WFO. Keeps me busy thinking of new things to make or bake!

I think you will enjoy your build as much as we have enjoyed ours so far!
          cheers
          Gary
          Agree, and look forward to entertaining, cooking and eating - yum

If you do not have a national holiday called Thankgiving. Why not start one now! A great reason for friends, family and acquaintances to get together and enjoy some good food and friendship. Who needs a holiday to do this?
          We do have national holidays, just not this one. We have "Australia Day" Australia Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - its about our "White European" history, I guess close to the concept of Thanksgiving for some Australians.

Comment

I read the description of Australian architecture that you referenced. It really does not say much except that the style was developed, really to match the availability of building materials, building equipment, and climate. That is true for most places in the world.

If you were a purist, you would not have built a WFO at all.

But since that is not the case, you need to follow the "reasoning behind" the architecture that has evolved.

Large overhangs were made to allow the residents to enjoy outdoor living even though it rained a lot or was very hot. So extending a roof to cover your oven would be exactly in the theme of the original home builder's style.

Using materials for your build that are "locally abundant" is keeping the tradition alive.

Comment

In that case use some old, rusty second hand bits of corrugated iron that're full of holes.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David,
                That sure does not say much for Australian natural resources.

I'm not talking about "dumpster diving"!

But, it is a good source of discarded good materials, if a person is sharp with their eye and a little creative.

Comment

I read the description of Australian architecture that you referenced. It really does not say much except that the style was developed, really to match the availability of building materials, building equipment, and climate. That is true for most places in the world.

If you were a purist, you would not have built a WFO at all.

But since that is not the case, you need to follow the "reasoning behind" the architecture that has evolved.
                  The architecture style, does have other attributes other then you mentioned, including high ceilings, steep central roofing, and I did say a modern-ish Queenslander. Using the outside as extra living space and some of the other older design attributes have been used. I think wfo was all that was used by previous generations, until gas was piped through our towns and cities. No purism needed.

Large overhangs were made to allow the residents to enjoy outdoor living even though it rained a lot or was very hot. So extending a roof to cover your oven would be exactly in the theme of the original home builder's style.

Using materials for your build that are "locally abundant" is keeping the tradition alive.
                  Yes but would wreck the look. Most of the big trees are gone now, so a true representation of the past "locally abundant" bits need to be made from different materials. Glue technology and composite materials, Steel, and evolving design take over. I am still not going to put a roof on it.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                    In that case use some old, rusty second hand bits of corrugated iron that're full of holes.
                    No thanks. As an ex plumber - in my early years I had to short sheet roofs to stop the leaking at the rusted overlaps etc.

Actually the old sheeting was good, it had thick galvanising. The sheets around the war years had different technology, thinner coatings and rusted a lot more.

Current technology is better again mixing an inert material (aluminium) with the protective sacrificial galvanising coating. It should last us out.
                    Last edited by brissie; 11-26-2013, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Japan has a lot of metal roofing materials. The good old copper roofs are fine but do not last that long now that there is so much acid rain falling here from sources in China.

There galvalume a hybrid coating on steel that lasts a considerable amount of time--but it still deteriorates. A lot of roofs use colored galvalume but the paint requires re-doing initially after maybe 10 years; then recoating is required again and again on decreasingly shorter schedules.

If you want a very good roof, then it would be stainless or colored stainless. The stainless is a lifetime roof--many times over; but the colored stainless still needs coating to keep up the color--not to prevent deterioration of the roof.

All these are available in a standing seam style called "kawara-bow" or a horizontal lap type--I don't know the Japan name for it.

Any of these would make a nice airy--light appearing roof for any structure.

You can coat masonry all you want with all types of hybrid coatings but water seems to find it's way in. The off side to coating is that once you get water inside, it is difficult getting it out! So best policy is to keep it dry from the beginning!

It is not only keeping the water away, it is making the oven usable during all different times or weather conditions. Anyone with a tight schedule would appreciate being able to use a WFO whenever the opportunity arises.

I can preach this idea until the cows come home, but the words have to fall on receptive ears OR the oven has to get soaked a few times, requiring extended drying out fires to make it functional again before one becomes a believer.

Whatever, the sermon is over! Praise be! And now the congregation can go home and enjoy their WFO's in peace!

Comment

Originally posted by brissie View Post
                        The architecture style, does have other attributes other then you mentioned, including high ceilings, steep central roofing, and I did say a modern-ish Queenslander. Using the outside as extra living space and some of the other older design attributes have been used. I think wfo was all that was used by previous generations, until gas was piped through our towns and cities. No purism needed.

Yes but would wreck the look. Most of the big trees are gone now, so a true representation of the past "locally abundant" bits need to be made from different materials. Glue technology and composite materials, Steel, and evolving design take over. I am still not going to put a roof on it.

Steve
                        So, how did the previous generations incorporate a wfo into their homes to keep the style intact? Do you have any photos of old wfo's --I would think that they would be more central to the kitchen and totally enclosed because you would have to rely on them every single day for all their cooking needs!

Comment

In the nineteenth century rural Australian homes in Queensland (northern state and therefore very hot) often had their kitchens partially detached from the main house. It was a separate building, presumably so that the wood stove did not heat the house during the summer and probably also as some fire protection measure.the wood stoves were usually cast iron and incorporated hot plates, water heating and an oven. In the cooler southern states the kitchens were usually incorporated into the main building.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

So, how did the previous generations incorporate a wfo into their homes to keep the style intact? Do you have any photos of old wfo's --I would think that they would be more central to the kitchen and totally enclosed because you would have to rely on them every single day for all their cooking needs!
                            Antique Stove | eBay

Many still exist, and can be found on ebay Aus. Most are cast iron, with enamel coatings. Many also functioned as hot water heaters and plumbed into the bathroom and kitchen sink etc. They where generally fired all the time.

The kitchen was often the hub of the house, even though they where not designed for this purpose.

Earlier times people had built in masonry ovens. Some still exist in older homes. Not the same design as a modern wfo though.

Large homes often had a separate out building for cooking. Saves burning down the main house.

Comment

Gudday
                              The WFO in kitchens in Australia were at first a chimney open fire affair that was detached from the house in a separate room, due to the heat.
                              My grandmother had such a kitchen , great in winter , but a a sweat box in the summer months , her oven was a cast iron, ceramic brick lined ? Beastie that took only her , expertise to operate . We took our meals to the other parts of the house, due to the heat . But now days we tend to eat 'out doors' regardless of were it is cooked, and most houses now days have an outside eating area.
                              Regards davr
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

My grandmother had a huge wood stove in the house in town, before moving out into the country. During the summer months, all the baking and stuff was done in the evening when it was cooler. But these stoves were the cast iron type-- used at the beginning of the 20th Century... (That was Northern Minnesota USA).

At one time, I remember my grandmother telling about seeing UFO's during the summer months when she was baking---I really think it was some signs of heat stroke from working around a hot wood stove!

My other grandmother had a similar set up but the family was much larger with 16 siblings! As the children were growing up, their chores were taking care of all the things running a huge farm in southern Minnesota. That was cattle, chickens, pigs, and of course grains and hay. Actually the operation covered several farms because the age of the children was so different--some still toddlers while others were adults managing the other farms!

But all the wood stoves with ovens had roofs over them---that is the point of my "sermon on roofs".

I am glad so many of you have a history of wood stoves going back to your childhood.

So Steve, what do you think?

Comment

Working...
                                X