X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chubbybones
    replied
    Re: Alan Scott oven in sydney

Ok,so do you guys suggest i decrease the thermal mass and increase the insulation?

Leave a comment:

• brissie
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    I think you have thermal mass and insulation mixed up
    I am with you on that brickie. 50mm insulation all around is not much at all. I have been adding extra insulation just so I can cook for an additional day or perhaps two...

I don't have experience yet but by all indicators that additional thermal mass, bricks and concrete is going to take some fire to heat to pizza temperature.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by chubbybones View Post
    I actually intend on reducing the thickness of insulation recommended in the book all around the oven dome and under the hearth.
    I think you have thermal mass and insulation mixed up

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Its fine if you have a bakery that fires every day, but for home use forget it.

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    You seriously need to rethink the Alan Scott oven idea, unless you have a forest of firewood to burn that is.
    Hi there Al,
    You are having me worried now
    Is it not pretty similar to other ovens using insulation?
    I actually intend on reducing the thickness of insulation recommended in the book all around the oven dome and under the hearth.
    For the bottom ill have the hearth firebricks on edge (110mm) sitting on a hearth slab (75mm) which in turn sits on vermiculite mix (50mm)
    The dome will consist of the same brick width (110mm) + concrete cladding (50mm) with a final vermiculite mix (50mm).
    So thats 235mm (9.5 inches) on the bottom and 220mm around sides and back(9 inches).
    Oh well i better start making friends with a firewood supplier

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

You seriously need to rethink the Alan Scott oven idea, unless you have a forest of firewood to burn that is.

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Got some blockwork done today.Starting to get an idea of the bulk of it all but a long way to go still.Next im going to start building a platform inside the blockwork to support the insulation that will sit under the hearth slab.

I need to start ordering some materials aswell like the vermiculite insulation and of course the hearth fire bricks and refractory cement.If anyone has any recommendations in sydney i'd appreciate that otherwise i was going to get them from " Field Furnace Refractories" or "Sydney fire bricks".
    Ciao for now.
    John.

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    started a topic Alan Scott oven in sydney

Alan Scott oven in sydney

Hi guys,
    I just found you guys after looking for information for my oven build.I've been meaning to make an oven for a while now but never had the opportunity.We moved to a new place and can now build one.We dont want to take up a lot of space both with the footprint of the oven and the airspace it will occupy above so im going to try and keep it relatively low (as much as feasibly possible).

The concrete block dimensions will be 1350mm(w) x 1500mm(d).I will probably end up with an oven which is like 700mm x 800mm in size.So not really huge but big enough i think for a couple of pizza's.I also want to be able to make breads which is probably why i went for the Scott design.From what i can gather the extra mass/insulation makes for the perfect temps for breads in a retained heating environment.I understand that this particular design is not endorsed on this forum as they have and sell their own variety here so if im not supposed to be here,i apologise in advance.

I have just broken ground and poured a small slab 100mm thick (slightly thicker around the edges).My first issue was that my slab had to start higher than it should be because i have water pipes to the house which run past quite high.This is going to make the opening under the oven very small when i build the concrete blocks up to slab level.But i guess i can live with that.
    Anyways i hope to be able to post progress of my oven here in due course.
    Thanks,John.
Working...
X