Newbie Oven build melbourne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbie Oven build melbourne

hi guys I finished the brick work on my oven and thought I would do a first fire to start the process of having pizza for Christmas and have had a crack form in the entire side of my oven. I have read some good and bad things about cracks but thought I would get your opinion on mine as its my second fire up with a bit of kindling.

Comment

Everyone gets cracks, key is to do a slow cure and be patient you have lots of water to work out of the dome.

Like I said before if someone tells ya my oven didn't have any cracks then they are...........BSing ya.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Russell is correct, no matter what happens physics applies heating and cooling cycles creates movement hence cracks.

For future reference for anyone else try not lining up mortar joints, remaining on bond won't stop cracks but may minimise them.

This is why I am using shiralite around dome to lock the dome in place. No guarantees at all but just a theory.

Wrap it up and enjoy the spoils.
        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
          Everyone gets cracks, key is to do a slow cure and be patient you have lots of water to work out of the dome.

Like I said before if someone tells ya my oven didn't have any cracks then they are...........BSing ya.
          Except,........ for those of us which are fishermen and/or hunters,........... who would not lie about things like that .
          Last edited by Gulf; 12-05-2013, 06:46 PM.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

thanks guys you have made me feel a little less upset at myself. I thought I had done something wrong in the curing as I was so careful not to go too hot too quick.

Comment

Working...
            X