Re: SE QLD oven
Interesting idea Mark.
Can't see why that wouldn't work.
I was so keen on doing it right I had 20 x 75mm firebrick tiles shipped from Sydney at I think around $18.70 each plus $100 [only because I knew someone in freight forwarding].
Yeah could have used 2 layers of 50mm or 40mm [never did price this option [Damn] and that would have given me even more thermal mass at the expense of heat up time.
The 75mm probably also less chance of cracking.
X
-
Re: SE QLD oven
Hi Ash
I have used a fire brick tile for the floor which was only 40mm thick. In order to keep costs down but get the thermal mass I has put a layer of ordinary clay pavers below this which are 40mm thick. I found a place that sells seconds that were $2 a pop and only needed to 12 of them. Not sure if this was a good idea or not as still in the drying/curing process but others on the forum may be able to comment.
Mark
Leave a comment:
-
Re: SE QLD oven
No..Originally posted by Ash71 View PostThanks Colin.
Just a question, could you keep the 30mm floor tile and double up on the ceramic board thickness? Would that give you more thermal mass?
Regards
Ashley.
Ceramic board is insulation therefore not thermal mass. I'm no scientist or expert but thermal mass provides I believe a dense structure that can absorb the heat and retain it. Ceramic board simply stops the heat escaping. Not withstanding that, more insulation is of course better.
If I was to do mine WFO again [which I will be in a new place] I might consider adding a second layer of ceramic board. but as it is I have 5" of effective insulation below my 75mm oven floor tiles.
Consider adding another layer of fire brick tiles at 35 or 50mm.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: SE QLD oven
Thanks Steve.Originally posted by Greenman View PostPre-cut kits and the like are good. Probably takes the learning/adventure out of it and makes it a bit like Lego I expect. They will all work at some level or another and it depends how deep your pockets are because some of the kits are not cheap by comparison.
I found half of the satisfaction from sourcing the materials and keeping the costs reasonable (which I managed to do). No need to sacrifice the quality of the build either.
If you are time poor a kit would look good I suppose.
Anyone with some or knows of some bricks for sale locally, let me know please.
Ashley
Leave a comment:
-
Re: SE QLD oven
Thanks Colin.
Just a question, could you keep the 30mm floor tile and double up on the ceramic board thickness? Would that give you more thermal mass?
Regards
Ashley.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: SE QLD oven
I don't think it would be enough thermal mase in the hearth if you want to cook for days afterfiring. Insulation sounds fine but the floor thickness at 35 mm would possibly be problem. IF you have purchased the kit with the 35mm tiles I would obtain some more and do 2 layers of tiles.
You could cut the first layer under the dome brick and have the second layer inside the dome. I layed mine [75mm tiles] inside the dome.
So far having fired mine since the 15/12 some quite large fires since new year, I have not noticed any cracking [Yet]. I feel if the dome is layed on the hearth bricks the dome is more susceptible to floor expansion if the floor expands the dome bricks must move [therefore cracks], even if the first course is not fastened to the Hearth bricks [although this must help in preventing it cracking] but this is just my opinion on the subject. Others will have a different view.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: SE QLD oven
Thanks Colin. I will post some more pictures soon. I have done a 3 1/2 inch layer of vermiculite already. With that, ceramic board and floor tiles I thought it would be enough. If it's not tell me now before I get any further.
Regards
Ashley
Leave a comment:
-
Re: SE QLD oven
Hi ash
Sounds good. I would personally go a little thicker on the floor if you are looking for retained heat. The norm on this site appears to be at least 50mm. Most seem to opt for 75mm. Any way just my view. Is listen to those that have been around longer than myself. That's what I did...
Leave a comment:
-
Re: SE QLD oven
Dear 577ftg,
Hi
Wood fired pizza oven kit 1200 x1200 including
160 fired clay brick 1300 degree
10 floor fired clay tiles 250x250x30mm
25 fired clay bricks for the arch door
Ceramic fibre board 1000x1000x25mm
Ceramic fibre board 7200x600x25mm
Refractory cement 25kg
Heavy duty door with handle
For more information call us on 0416041696
The goods will be ready mid to end January.
Cheers
Buddy
- nancybarakat
Hi Dave
This is the list of contents in the kit. So it's not really a precut kit but just one with almost everything in it.
Ashley
Leave a comment:
-
Re: SE QLD oven
Have a look on Gumtree. I found unused firebricks for 50c each. Better deal than $4 each from the manufacturer and your local sheet metal shop will make your S/S stuff at the right price if you go and have a chat to them - 8" flue and chimney and cowl for $180.
That is part of the thrill of the chase!!
Leave a comment:
-
Re: SE QLD oven
GuddayOriginally posted by Ash71 View PostVermiculite..... Is it advisable to keep this layer as dry as possible throughout the build process? I'm also looking at buying a kit from NSW that has everything you need to construct a 1200mm oven. The reason being that I can get this all delivered to my door and don't have to go to Brisbane. Has anyone out there bought/built from such a kit?
Ashley.
which kit are you thinking of buying
regards dave
I double checked Forno Aus still doesn't run a kit as such. Shame
Leave a comment:
-
Re: SE QLD oven
Hi Ash
I agree with what others have said that you do not need any special skills and what you have done already looks great. Looks like you have a nice big area you are building there.
Re suppliers, agree Claypave for bricks, you might be able to find a local distributor. Bellis is who I used for cal sil and ceramic blanket. Mr Stoves for the flue.
It is an extremely satisfying experience!
Cheers
Mark
Leave a comment:
-
Re: SE QLD oven
Pre-cut kits and the like are good. Probably takes the learning/adventure out of it and makes it a bit like Lego I expect. They will all work at some level or another and it depends how deep your pockets are because some of the kits are not cheap by comparison.
I found half of the satisfaction from sourcing the materials and keeping the costs reasonable (which I managed to do). No need to sacrifice the quality of the build either.
If you are time poor a kit would look good I suppose.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: SE QLD oven
Vermiculite..... Is it advisable to keep this layer as dry as possible throughout the build process? I'm also looking at buying a kit from NSW that has everything you need to construct a 1200mm oven. The reason being that I can get this all delivered to my door and don't have to go to Brisbane. Has anyone out there bought/built from such a kit?
Ashley.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: SE QLD oven
Thanks Dave.
I work away from home so I'll do some checking when I'm finished my swing at work.
Regards,
Ashley.
Leave a comment:





Leave a comment: