Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SE QLD oven

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ash71
    replied
    Re: SE QLD oven

    Hi All,
    Been very slack with updates. The kit came from Sefton in NSW and was purchased on eBay. Came with everything except the sand and normal cement. I ditched the supplied steel door and made one myself out of stainless. Still working on the flue, damn thing is too thin for me to weld so I'll have to get someone to TIG it for me. Oven is all but done now and I'm still having problems with the pictures I take with my iphone uploading (have to get the kids to sort it out). Took about 3 weeks (if you don't go to work, more if you do) to get to the wait for curing fire time. Has been cured and haven't got any cracking. Been to 600 Fahrenheit and haven't pushed it further yet. Cooked a spag bog casserole and butterscotch self saucing pudding as well as pizza twice (which took a little longer due to the lower temp).

    Leave a comment:


  • applor
    replied
    Re: SE QLD oven

    Any updates on your build?

    Where did you buy your kit from?

    Leave a comment:


  • cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: SE QLD oven

    G'day Russell
    By BNE domestic you mean Brisbane airport ? Your just 20 mins away from both work and home. So your winging you way north I hope you enjoy yourself. Looks like you'll get yourself some dry wheather, and you'll get a wee bit warmer than what you used to. Remember its autumn
    Regards Dave
    PS you better do the travel thing and start a thread on your trip.

    Leave a comment:


  • UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: SE QLD oven

    second on curve brick wow. I am currently sitting in BNE domestic terminal waiting for a flight and wishing I had time to see some of the Aussie builds.

    Leave a comment:


  • boerwarrior
    replied
    Re: SE QLD oven

    Ash,

    Looking good!

    You can load larger jpegs and then the pictures will be bigger and easier to see... If you are using an editing tool to scale the picture size try doing a little less scaling.

    Neil

    Leave a comment:


  • Greenman
    replied
    Re: SE QLD oven

    Those curved bricks - like Dave said, seriously cool. I know little about bricks but didn't think there was such a thing. Curved bricks laid in a continuous reducing spiral would be a brain blower.

    Leave a comment:


  • cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: SE QLD oven

    Gudday
    Curved bricks !!!.....now that is seriously cool
    Regards dave

    Leave a comment:


  • Ash71
    replied
    Re: SE QLD oven

    Oven is further along than the last photos...will post some more tomorrow....

    Leave a comment:


  • Ash71
    replied
    Re: SE QLD oven

    I know it's been awhile. I have had trouble trying to put pictures on my thread. Oven is coming along now, in fact it won't be long before I have finished the dome (the beauty of working a lifestyle roster). In all it has been fun although the challenge has started where good old mother nature (gravity) wants to take over. In some areas the oven is not 100% perfect but I hope it will cook the most amazing pizzas, etc.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ash71
    replied
    Re: SE QLD oven

    Apologies for my recent absence. My oven kit is supposed to be arriving today. Will post some more pics soon.

    Leave a comment:


  • oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: SE QLD oven

    Hi Ash

    Re concrete pour around the vermiculate

    Suggestion work out hearth finishing height from here. Try and keep the hearth and external oven levels the same height. I wish I had done that as it looks quite smart everything at the same height inside and out.
    Check liteceeper thread he has a picture of a finished oven like this it looks great.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ash71
    replied
    Re: SE QLD oven

    Some pics of the vermiculite. Have to pour some concrete around the outside yet.

    Leave a comment:


  • brissie
    replied
    Re: SE QLD oven

    I would cover it for the initial cure. Perhaps a week to allow the insulation to strengthen. It takes concrete about 28 days to reach about 80 percent strength. But maybe it doesn't matter that much as vermicucrete does hold water, and thus cure reasonably.

    Originally posted by Ash71 View Post
    Thanks for all the info. Should I be trying to keep the vermiculite layer dry now that I've poured it?
    Ashley.

    Yes, I think the general idea is to try and dry out the base as much as you can before building more layers on top. Let the sun shine on it. The more water you evaporate now the quicker the oven will dry out in the future.

    It can take considerable time to drive all the water out of an oven when its completed. Water may stay in the insulating layers even though it looks dry.

    Cheers,

    Steve.
    Last edited by brissie; 01-09-2014, 04:10 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ash71
    replied
    Re: SE QLD oven

    Thanks for all the info. Should I be trying to keep the vermiculite layer dry now that I've poured it?
    Ashley.

    Leave a comment:


  • cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: SE QLD oven

    Gudday
    Most forno ovens are 1/2 brick dome 115mm with a 50 mm firebrick tile floor or firebrick set on 75 mm face. Seems to give a good balance all round oven that heats up in a reasonable time and retains heat over a reasonable time.
    The floor is thinner than the dome mainly because its longer to heat up. Heat rises and the dome gets more heat than the floor. The tip of the flame is hotter than the base of the flame same as the old Bunsen burner at school. The floor also is insulated from heat radiating from the dome to certain extent by the coals and ash.
    From what I read a 50mm dome takes 60 to 90 mins to saturation, a 115 mm more like 120 to 150. Increasing the mass means more time till saturation and that's what is important to me regardless of the wood consumption.
    With a thinner dome shell gives you faster time till saturation ( pizza time) but less baking time . A larger than forno mass oven gives you a longer wait till saturation but an extended baking time. I have little interest in multiple bakes I can only give away so much bread. If I need more baking temp I flash up another fire, a hot oven is faster to heat than a cold one.
    That's why I think the forno formula for oven mass is the best for an all round oven reasonable heat up times and reasonable baking times.
    Anyway that's my take on that.
    Regards dave

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X