New build in Mulwala

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build in Mulwala

Gday all, going to start building soon. So I need some info on bessre blocks. Can I use the smaller block for my base. By smaller I mean 90mm instead of 190mm. The oven id is going to be 1200mm so oven width will be approx 2000mm. Cheers john

Re: New build in Mulwala

How do you post photos as I have some of the slab.

Comment

Select the Go Advanced button for replying to your thread. Then click on the small paperclip button on the top row. It will allow you to upload a pic (or pics) directly from your computer .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by brewer63 View Post
        Gday all, going to start building soon. So I need some info on bessre blocks. Can I use the smaller block for my base. By smaller I mean 90mm instead of 190mm. The oven id is going to be 1200mm so oven width will be approx 2000mm. Cheers john
        The 90 mm (4") wide blocks are not considered structural (interior walls only). If you want to go thinner use 140 mm (6") blocks that take around half the concrete to fill that the 8" blocks do, but are still structural.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0169.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	952.8 KB
ID:	304761

Name:	IMAG0170.jpg
Size:	866.3 KB
ID:	304762

Name:	IMAG0172.jpg
Size:	645.7 KB
ID:	304763

Name:	IMAG0173.jpg
Size:	946.2 KB
ID:	304764

Well here are the photos of the slab. The whole slab is 150mm thick as we are thinking of putting a spa in the back left hand corner. I also put natural gas out to where the bbq is going. No more running out of bloody gas half way through.

Cheers John

Comment

Wish I had of fine the natural gas line
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Gday Colin, when we built I got the plumber to run a NG line to the second post in the veranda just for this.All I need to do is get building. Cheers John

Also thanks to Gulf for the info on posting photos.

Comment

Gday all,looks like things are going to finally happen.Contacted Bunnings to see if they have the blocks,and the reply was yes.We will have them in next week. Happy Days. Have time off work to get the base done,and you gotta love that.

But I do have a question.With a 1200mm ID oven how big does the chimney need to be,and the door.
                I was thinking with the door that a 580mm door would be ok,but laid it out and you could put 1/2 a cow in it .Lmao. Is it too big as the hieght would be almost the same.
                Any and all help would be grand.
                Cheers John

Comment

It might be too late but I found Bunnings to be not so competitive for blocks. Depends on whether you have any other local alternatives though. I found one of the block/retaining wall manufacturers offered much better pricing out of their yard.

Comment

Gday Browny,you are right in what you say. I did contact another masonry in Wodonga/Albury and they were no cheaper,which was a bit of a surprise ,I even checked our local home hardware and they were dearer again.
                    The problem is distance. We are in the middle of BF nowhere and transport is a killer.Any how enough of the bitching.
                    THX Browny.
                    Ps any idea on this #$%^&* door. I did a trial run and it looks ok. BIG but ok. LOl

Cheers John

Comment

Originally posted by brewer63 View Post
                      Gday all,looks like things are going to finally happen.Contacted Bunnings to see if they have the blocks,and the reply was yes.We will have them in next week. Happy Days. Have time off work to get the base done,and you gotta love that.

But I do have a question.With a 1200mm ID oven how big does the chimney need to be,and the door.
                      I was thinking with the door that a 580mm door would be ok,but laid it out and you could put 1/2 a cow in it .Lmao. Is it too big as the hieght would be almost the same.
                      Any and all help would be grand.
                      Cheers John
                      G'day
                      A 1200mm oven 1/2 hemisphere of 600mm high (24in) 63 per cent of that the oven mouth height works out at 380 (15 in). The width a bit under 1/2 the width to keep it as efficient as possible say 540mm (22 in).
                      That's a big oven and the advantage of a big oven mouth is that it's easier to see inside and pass things into, out off, and move around inside the oven. Can't fit a full cow though a good big bit of cow would fit.
                      You could run a commercial pizza place with an oven that size though you probably find that a lower dome height would be used to keep it as efficient as possible. Best to get the heat radiating from the roof closer to the food. Even dropping the internal height to 500mm or the height of a 1000mm ( 42 in) oven still gives you a door of 325mm(12.5 in) a loss of 75mm ( 3 ins).
                      Just something to think about
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Gday Dave, thanks for the clarification. The dome entrance is now at just over 540mm (22in) in width and 390mm (15in) in height. I must say it does look a lot better than what l had. .The original door was way to big both ways, looked lets say different. Now the bricks have a lot smaller rear mortar gap and that's a good thing. Looks neat!
                        This was just a trial as to see how it was going to look and give the minister of war and finance some idea of the size of the whole project.
                        The original idea was to build it (barrel vault) at our old place but luckily it didn't happen, that was 2 years ago. So here we are version 2.0. Cheers John

Some photo's

Comment

I finally built the base.
                          What I used:
                          Block base was 5x6x5
                          reo was free
                          50x50x5mm angle iron
                          10x20kg bags of cement
                          1.0 cubic meter of commix
                          140x45 pine, 2 lengths
                          Colour bond (left over from house build)
                          xtra blocks and ply for support of Colour bond
                          125mm screws
                          Equipment:
                          Drop saw
                          Angle grinder with serrated blade
                          Tape measure
                          1200mm Level
                          Battery drill with attachment for screws
                          Cement mixer
                          Some photos of the bases build.

Comment

Now here's the story. After our holiday we decided to build the base. Rang Bunnings again to find out when the blocks would be in, but once again I was chasing my tail.(They have no idea how to run a business)Anyway found some in Benalla at vibrated concrete and only 5 cents more/block. All good as I was already there getting the mower serviced. Picked up the and slow trip home.
                            Next day laid out the blocks and hey presto there it was. The thing was that the size was a bit bigger than I thought. OH MY so some quick calcs and yep its right. The wife came and looked and said the same thing. So I reassured her that all was good.(Me too) So the size is 1950x2340x950.
                            So went and got cement from Hunters as well as timber and 50x50 angle .Conmix from Judds and mixer from a mate, we are set to go.
                            Had timber cut to approx size. Made final cut at home.
                            So away we go ,filled all the cores. Used empty cement bags for the plugs in the 2 blocks at the front. As I filled each core I put in the reo which was already cut to size,apart from to 2 blocks at the front. All done and happy.
                            I was going to leave it for 2 days but the weather was for rain. So 1 day it was and into it again, welding,and forming it up
                            Used 125mm screw to join the timber, and also for the support of the timber by screwing 2 xtra per side into the blocks once I had my level.
                            Used colourbond iron under the slab with blocks and ply for support. This is what they did at dads house 40+ years ago with no cracks to this day. Lucky slab done and 24hrs before rain
                            Made the mix for the cores at 6-1 and the slab at 5-1

Comment

Nice start, good job on dry stack. Be sure to have some relief under your arch form and save for door template later on.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                              X