New (2nd) build in Brisbane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New (2nd) build in Brisbane

I would need a *lot* of mortar to level off that area. Would be better just doing a batch of concrete. However I didn't want to use anything cement based as the cal sil board would soak up the moisture and take forever to dry out!
    What about using exterior grade fibre board, cement board or similar?

As for the flue, was planning to just do a single flue into a ceiling plate with a dektite high temp silicon on the top side. The patio is just your thin colour bond steel.

Comment

It must be disappointing if the kit is not up to expectations but if it all fits inside you should be able to make it a goer. I don't have a plate on my flue and it works fine. The seal at that site does not need to be airtight and I cut a groove in the bricks and sealed to that. No smoke emits from there.

I have been using a local sheet metal/plumbing shop to make my s/s flues and chimney pipes and hats etc. I have found them to be good with quality, price and delivery time. There must be a place in Brisbane who can do the job.

The things I have had made are, as a unit. One flue 200mm x 900mm, one chimney pipe 250mm x 900 and a 'chinamans hat' plus supports and support strapping 2m x 25mm. The whole lot for $285. All of this is stainless.

I used this on my oven and the others I have helped others with. There are some very expensive options out there but some local manufacturers would love your business to stay afloat.
      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by applor View Post
        I would need a *lot* of mortar to level off that area. Would be better just doing a batch of concrete. However I didn't want to use anything cement based as the cal sil board would soak up the moisture and take forever to dry out!
        What about using exterior grade fibre board, cement board or similar?

As for the flue, was planning to just do a single flue into a ceiling plate with a dektite high temp silicon on the top side. The patio is just your thin colour bond steel.
        Cut some plastic to cover the area and then place your concrete.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Just had the tiler out to take a look.
          He said to use rapid set concrete and wants it all levelled.

The distance between the cal sil and the blocks is only 17mm.
          Not as much fill as I thought I would need to be.

I think David's suggestion of just using mortar may be the best way to go.

Do you think I should lay sheeting to avoid moisture ingress to the cal sil or just go with a drier mortar mix?
          Last edited by applor; 10-04-2014, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't be levelling out that area until after doing the insulation layers. You don't want conductive concrete up against the inner refractory dome.

Comment

Yeah I always planned to wait until doing the insulation. Also not going to lay sheeting I think it will just move around and get in the way.

Current schedule:

Mon - insulate dome with blanket 3x 25mm layers. Tie down and chicken mesh
              Tue - level oven area using mortar mix
              Thur/Fri - tiler comes to tile the oven area
              Sat/Sun - render the dome with mortar

Following weekend I will probably go about fitting the flue/ceiling plate etc.

After that, once the dome render is cured, I can begin curing fires.

Sometime during that period the outside floor area will be tiled.

Comment

It's up to you how you proceed with the build, but I like to do the curing fires after insulating, but before doing the outside render to avoid steam pressure build up which can crack the outer shell if theres lots of moisture there. You may not have this problem if you are not doing a vermicrete layer and rendering straight on to the blanket. The problem with that approach is that in order to even out the lumps and bumps the blanket makes, you have to do a much thicker outer render and it will also therefore be more uneven in its thickness. The blanket will also be a bit springy making it more difficult to render against than a vermicrete layer. It is also prudent to wrap the outer shell after finishing it (I use cling wrap) to hold in the moisture for a week to enhance strength.This is important IMO because the inside of the outer shell layer is having its moisture sucked away so at least you can prevent moisture loss from the outside with this method. (bet your instructions didn't tell you this)
                Last edited by david s; 10-05-2014, 06:43 PM.

Comment

G'day applor
                  Great to catch up with you progress. Bummer to hear that you have had such problems with a new oven. I honestly thought you did a great job putting back together a deconstructed oven. I'm sure you do a god job. You've had the practice.
                  What's with the level problems ?
                  Are you trying to achieve the oven hearth at the same height as the surface of you outer tile work. If that's the case, Go For It! Its a great look.
                  You can put up with a bit more water to dry out to achieve it, why not!
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Big weekend but got all the work finished I planned on.

Attached pictures showing insulation layers 1, 2, 3 and then meshed and then with the area levelled with mortar.

That's 3" of blanket so will just do a mortar render to finish without perlite.

The size difference is certainly noticeable scaling down to a 32". What will make it harder is the small/narrower entry compared to the big flared entry of my Vibrok. Definitely feels like it will use much less wood and hold heat better though. Time will tell.

David - there's not that much refractory mortar on the dome and it dried very quickly so wasn't going to do any curing fires until after the render. I will also be leaving a gap around the flu open for steam to escape, since unlike my last oven this one is under cover. Yes I am aware of the clingwrap technique I used it in my last build (probably at your advice too)

Cobblerdave - The plan was always to have the hearth and tiled surround at the same level for a flush finish.
                    The problem is I poured the concrete too high and after adding in filler to level it for the insulation base, more height was added and so when the oven is finished there will be a roughly 20mm step up from the tile to the hearth.
                    It's not a big deal and it will still look amazing, just not quite what I had planned for.

Tiler does the surround tomorrow, then I render the dome this weekend. Also have to cut the patio and temporary place the flue to allow me to render around the flue. Then later once my ceiling plate arrives I will do the flue installation (probably the weekend after)

Comment

Dome render has been delayed a week, realised I must do flue installation first which means waiting on the ceiling plate.
                      Flue pieces are now painted.
                      Tiling is now finished!

Sneak peek (work in progress)
                      Last edited by applor; 10-11-2014, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Flue installed, dome rendered.

Comment

Hey guys,

So while my render cures, I have been looking at doing the lighting for the patio.
                          Unfortunately after using my BBQ the other night I realise I need some sort of extraction for it, as the entire patio area was smoked out.

I need some advice/suggestions on the best way to do this.
                          Normally I think a rangehood would be installed. 2 problems with this:
                          1) ridiculously expensive. How can $2000+ for a BBQ rangehood which is just some fans/light and sheet metal justify the price?
                          2) the patio is colourbond sheet metal with no wall where the BBQ is located.
                          I am not sure that the patio would be able to support the weight of an island rangehood without somehow installing support.

I asked on another forum and it was suggested I could install a Whirlybird. I am sceptical of this however as I don't think it would allow enough smoke to escape (considering BBQ rangehood they say 2000cfm+) and so the patio would still get smoked.

Another option would be some sort of hanging fan on a hinge that could drop down and just blow the smoke out the back of the patio. Would need to find a suitable fan and way of mounting it but it could work but would probably look damn ugly.

Annoyingly I can't do the lighting for that area until I decide on a course of action for this.

Thoughts?

Comment

Hey Applor - Just my thoughts but extraction would only be efficient where it is working on an enclosed area or where smoke etc can be captured for removal, in hood or the like. If you are looking to move smoke/air across an open area I reckon that it would better to blow it away.

A strategically placed decent size oscillating fan would be worth a try and could provide some comfort for the folks as well in the heat of summer.

For what it is worth.
                            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks Greenman.

I think a fan installed off the roof in that direction would work and be simple/cheap.

It would also not be visible if we went ahead with a lattice wall hiding the gym equipment but my wife did say she was just thinking shrubs so need to talk to her about it.

Would need a separate fan to cool the crowds though, since they are in the opposite direction.

Comment

I took the plastic wrap off this morning so it can start drying out. I think 1.5 weeks wrapped is enough.

I haven't cleaned up the sand and cleaned the granite yet and it still needs to be painted of course.

I am pretty happy with the shape and finish though.

Comment

Working...
                                X