New (2nd) build in Brisbane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New (2nd) build in Brisbane

I can see all your tape across the board joins but can't see any around the edges joining the block work.
    Taped on the underside?

Comment

G'day
      I've even checked out the underside of that slab. You know I can't remember! But it's doesn't have any bleed by at all so I must have. Can't find any evidence of tape anywhere though can't even find any evidence of those taped melamine.
      Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Pour went well.

Bit of leftover concrete so we filled the blocks up to the top which wasn't planned/necessary.
        Last edited by applor; 09-23-2014, 11:38 PM.

Comment

G'day
          Well as expected that's a neat piece of work well done!
          Were in the hell did you come across those " clip thingys" on the steel?
          I'm feeling positively prehistoric using tire wire and brick chips as chairs
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once

My Build
          My Door

Comment

Very tidy work. Looks good but the wire and brick chips do the same job.

It is nice to see tidy work though.
            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
              Were in the hell did you come across those " clip thingys" on the steel?
              You can buy them from Bunning's. They are called trench chairs.

Whites On-Site Trench Mesh Reinforcing Bar Chair - 20 Pack I/N 0910179 | Bunnings Warehouse

I thought I'd give them a go after the dramas I had with the normal rebar chairs from the last WFO suspended slab with the big round bases.

I cut the bottoms off so that they'd sit lower at the height I wanted.

If you look at the attached picture in my very first post you will see I also used them for my corner slab.

Highly recommend them.
              Last edited by applor; 09-24-2014, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Looking good. Nice work. not far form moving onward and upwards.
                Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Yeah should happen pretty quickly from now on.

Realised last night I didn't put enough support under the formwork so one of the sides has dipped a bit. No big deal it just won't be completely flat

Comment

It seems I greatly underestimated the force required to settle concrete when hitting under the formwork.

I would say that the guides and discussion on these forums really needs to be updated on the details regarding pouring of the suspended slab but given that I am the only one who seems to have had this problem (and have done it twice now) I am simply an idiot.

Feeling pretty down with a lot more messy extra work to do.

*sigh*

Comment

This is usually caused by insufficient vibration or too dry a mix, or combination of both.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

G'day
                        Ormonoid 1L Bitumen Paint
                        I/N: 0964856
                        $16

Add to wish list
                        Price correct as at Wed 01 Oct 2014 07:17:52

Ormonoid Bitumen Paint is a multi purpose bituminous product supplied in a paint consistency. Applicable as an adhesive primer, protective coating or for tree surgery.

Designed to provide protection of exterior metal surfaces such as guttering, downpipes, water tanks, troughs, trailers, car bodies and metal type roofing against corrosion. It can also be used for sealing of tree wounds after pruning, to prevent disease or vermin attack.

Easily spread and quick drying
                        Resistant to mild acids, alkali, moisture, air and vermin
                        Can be overpainted with Silvershield or an oil based paint for U.V. protection and better appearance.
                        Details
                        Model Name
                        Ormonoid Bitumen Paint 1L
                        Model Number
                        Material
                        Bitumen Based
                        Colour
                        Black
                        Product Dimensions (mm)
                        W:110 H:135 L:110
                        Package Dimensions (mm)
                        W:110 H:135 L:110
                        Weight
                        1kg
                        SIMILAR PRODUCTS

Gripset Betta 1L Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber
                        $19.50

Crommelin 1L Water Based Bitumen Paint
                        $14

Ormonoid 500ml Bitumen Paint
                        $10
                        View All Bitumen Based 13
                        If you happen to find a lower price on a stocked item, WE'LL BEAT IT BY10%*

Don't muck around just paint this on and forget about it. It's under the slab where no one will look anyway.
                        Regards dave

Regards Dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once

My Build
                        My Door

Comment

The underside can wait - the build must go on!

Spent most of today on it. First step, levelling the concrete with clay dust.

Had planned to drop the Cal Sil board straight in but it was a bit longer than it should have been and too tight on the tolerances so took 50mm and 20mm off the side/front.

I then began unpacking the shipping crate of my WFO.

Got the Cal Sil levelled then trialled the fitment of the hearth pieces. Unfortunately the hearth pieces were not level, especially the front piece which was 7mm too high.
                          Ended up chiselling into the Cal Sil board and using the clay sand to level everything else.

Laid one of my gorgeous Pietra Gray marble tiles on the front. These will be laid all the way around the oven and the side bench. They will contrast perfectly with my Calcutta Marble prep bench.

Comment

Now with the hearth pieces levelled, I assemble the two dome pieces with the help of my dad.
                            Unfortunately there were a lot of casting imperfections which I ground off. Also, unlike my old Vibrok WFO, the Vesuvio does not have interlocking lips so I have no choice but to use refractory mortar.
                            Fair bit of working around and getting everything right.

Then the next problem. The supplied front arch is actually too low to sit on the calsil board, you can't get the door in there. Only solution is to raise its height using some off cuts from my blocks.
                            The the major problem. The flue entry cast block just doesn't fit/work with the front block arch. If you butt it against the front arch it is just too restrictive and fits poorly. It can't be fit over the top like it is meant to without significant work.

Out with the masonry blade angle grinder and I now have everything fitting pretty well.

Comment

This is when I should also mention the quality of this kit ain't quite there. First attachment shows the height difference between the left and ride side dome pieces.
                              The same is reflected inside, with the left being about 15mm lower than the right.
                              Shouldn't affect performance though.
                              With all that done, I opened up the refractory mortar which was actually all mixed ready to go and started spreading.

On Monday I will begin the insulation and meshing.

My current concerns are the flue. It seems I am just meant to slot the flue into the cast piece - or should I buy a plate?
                              I also need to buy a ceiling plate and second flue piece to extend through the patio.
                              Need to find somewhere local that has a 150mmx900mm flue piece as no one ships those.
                              The other big hurdle is how to raise the level of the exposed cal sil area so it is flush with the block work so tiles can be laid over it. My best/easiest idea is to just use some old MDF I have lying around, cut it to shape to fill the areas and sit it on top of the cal sil - but I am not sure if tiles will glue OK onto wood.
                              Last edited by applor; 10-04-2014, 12:36 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't be putting MDF in there, it could get wet and swell and cause problems. Why not use some mortar to level it off?
                                Regarding your flue it is normal to use a double thickness flue pipe if going through a ceiling and roof. The outer one does not have to be stainless. You'll also need a "Dektight" for the seal where the pipe exits the roof, although not absolutely essential, depends on what the pipe is passing through and beside. You need to go 600 mm beyond the roof where the pipe exits. There are two types of Dektights, a black rubber one and an orange silicon rubber one for higher temp applications.

If your oven floor is elbow height then you must be really tall.

Does the kit provide instructions for installation?
                                Last edited by david s; 10-04-2014, 01:08 AM.
                                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X