Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing the entry

Hey guys,

Despite being undercover, it seems I must seal the front entry, otherwise water pools on the slick tiles and can fill up and then pour down the front entry into the insulation below.

Due to the temperatures at the entry, my 2 options as I see it are:

1) High temp gasket silicone. Pretty easy but bright red in colour:/

2) high temp mortar. Pretty easy and solid but does it soak up water?

Which option do you guys think?

Re: Sealing the entry

If your oven is under cover you shouldn't need to bother preventing water entry.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

That is what I originally thought but we've already had two decent downpours and as you know rain doesn't tend to fall straight down so water always gets onto the tiled area and then fills up around and into the entry.

Luckily on both instance I put towels into that entry area but even the large one was absolutely soaked through. We're talking at least a litre of water has ended up on that area and if I hadn't towelled it, that water would have poured straight down into the insulation.

tldr;
      It has to be sealed.

Comment

I've designed the supporting slab for my ovens to slope away from the oven all the way around for this very reason. Is it possible to reset your granite slab with a slight slope? Because your oven will be heating up and down and therefore expanding while bits around it are not, you will have to go with something flexible like the red high temp silicone.

Comment

Yeah unfortunately no way I can slope the front marble tile.
          I know what you mean about heat expansion, though the actual cooking hearth is free floating so it can expand in and around the dome but sounds like I'll have to go with the high temp silicone and hope it looks OK and holds up OK.

Comment

G'day
            One thing that will help. Tape down both sides of the gape. Use your seal, then remove the tape whilst it's still wet. You get a good straight edge that way
            Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
              G'day
              One thing that will help. Tape down both sides of the gape. Use your seal, then remove the tape whilst it's still wet. You get a good straight edge that way
              Regards dave
              Yes, but make sure you remove the tape straight away. That red silicone dries really fast. Don't perform the operation if the area is in direct sun or it will dry too fast and you won't get a clean edge.

Comment

You wanted to know why it needed sealing?

Picture tells a thousands words:

Comment

I have some kids in Brisbane and there are plenty of stories from the storms this afternoon. Nasty if you were in the path.
                  Dry as a chip here.

You are right. It pays to plan for the extreme and then the rest makes for no issues.
                  Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

G'day Steve
                    I don't think we will hear from applor till tomorrow at the least. Applor lives in the path of the worst of it . I'm hoping he is just one of those 90 Thousand without power and that will be has not been effected more than that.
                    The damage to electrical network is such that they cannot restore much till tomorrow morning. The priority tonight is to make safe the fallen power lines and people are being told to stay inside their houses.
                    Many schools are to be closed tomorrow, and the armies being mobilized tomorrow.
                    Its just a case of waiting till daylight till we find out the full extent of the damage.
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Maybe some of those thick clear plastic walls that roll up, like restaurants use, might be a good solution.
                      Last edited by david s; 11-27-2014, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Hey guys!

Thank you all for your concern. While it was violent here we were lucky enough that we suffered no real damage and did not get the giant balls of hail.

I actually sealed the entrance and the alum edging a couple days ago so this weather was a very prompt test of how it held up.
                        I believe the front remained sealed, though I am sure a little bit of water may have gotten in but that can't be helped. I also get a bit of rain down my flue.

I was actually thinking yesterday that some of those clear Perspex weather shields might be a good idea, just one on each side to the corner.
                        The main problem is actually the guttering - the patio shares the one downpipe with the rest of the roof in that area and it can't handle it.
                        As a result, all along that edge the gutters overflow and pour over the side as you can see in that picture. Need to address that I think and it will help reduce the amount of water that gets onto the oven bench top.

Comment

what about giving the oven a rain coat for the entrance.
                          My oven will not be undercover so am thinking about making a rain coat for the entrance.
                          Should divert all the water away with ease.
                          The build has started. 40" pompeii. With mosaic tile exterior.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=dcdb2f715c

Comment

Originally posted by applor View Post
                            Hey guys!

The main problem is actually the guttering - the patio shares the one downpipe with the rest of the roof in that area and it can't handle it.
                            Put in another down pipe. Inadequate design in order to save money is usually a recipe for more work later on.

Comment

Working...
                            X