Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hsa
    replied
    Re: Attempted new build currently on hold and in need of divine intervention LOL

hi dave,
    Long time
    Thanks for that, insulation to follow soon!... We were both just so impatient and excited and started the cure..
    Hubby bought a door (i think the metal is steel) actually was the first thing.. An what determined the size of the dome outside of my estimations. But all worked out..
    the door was rusting so he has given it a coat of some high temperature rust inhibitor.. forgot the details... and all good and ready EXCEPT today I noticed that it no longer fitted flush into the oven entrance. It seems that during the drying process the oven has shrunk (mortar) so now the door will need to have half an inch or so off the end....but it still is alright for now... Still happy

Hi Chip,
    Well spotted! That darn thing is only there because it is cemented in and even with a ladder I can't reach the last bolt to get the hoop and board off!! Soon! Was from a previous owner!
    Plenty of work in progress haha but atleast I got my priority stuff almost sorted
    Last edited by hsa; 05-31-2015, 06:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied
    Re: Attempted new build currently on hold and in need of divine intervention LOL

It looks like you have a basketball hoop in the background of the oven shot. You may want to consider a new location for that hoop if some of the players are not great shots as a basketball hitting your flue could cause some damage.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by hsa View Post
    Thanks Chip & Colin,

Taking notes👍👍👍

hubby used insulation/ heat board then the refractory tiles to create the oven floor. Firebricks and ht mortar make up the dome, also covered with a cement layer.

Lol for now Im not aiming for 4 days of cooking time.. That's asking for too much... Maybe half that

Well hopefully the weekend will bring progress. Thanks again

Ash
    G'day
    The dome of the oven needs to be insulated as well and this needs to meet the underfloor insulation to truely encapsulate the oven from leaking the heat to the outside world. A close fitting insulated door is part of this as well. A simple one is the hebel one I've used for years.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• hsa
    replied

Wat a feeling
    Managed to light pretty easily

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

You say 2 days is enough. Trust me once you start using it, you WILL want to cook in it each day.

Pizza Friday night
    Baked eggs 4 breakfast.
    Roast night
    Bread breakfast Sunday
    Monday night casserole.

The thing is you have to Burn wood, to heat the oven so why not build it to maximize the cooking time for the same amount of wood burnt. Makes economic sense to me.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-27-2015, 09:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hsa
    replied

Thanks Chip & Colin,

Taking notes👍👍👍

hubby used insulation/ heat board then the refractory tiles to create the oven floor. Firebricks and ht mortar make up the dome, also covered with a cement layer.

Lol for now Im not aiming for 4 days of cooking time.. That's asking for too much... Maybe half that

Well hopefully the weekend will bring progress. Thanks again

Ash

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Has I did mine differently I.e. Used a cement based later to lock the bricks in place. Worked a treat. Followed by 3 layers of blanket then around 2 inches of render then my finishing later.

What chip said above plus the insulation and a good insulated door allows you to cook for up to 4 days.

The more insulation the better.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Has I did mine differently I.e. Used a cement based later to lock the bricks in place. Worked a treat. Followed by 3 layers of blanket then around 2 inches of render then my finishing later.

What chip said above plus the insulation and a good insulated door allows you to cook for up to 4 days.

The more insulation the better.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Wow thanks for the detailed help chip and Colin! Will pass on to hubby!
    Will attempt to fill the inside maybe with a giant icing bag �������� I imagine it will be ideal!

Hubby asked me if we need an insulation layer/fire blanket layer...
    What do you guys think and suggest as the insulation?
    Most builders on the site use ceramic blanket as the insulating layer and then some add additional insulation, I added over 4 inches of ceramic and then 4 inches to 2 ft of perlite over the blanket. But I have a house design so I just filled it up with loose perlite.

Many who keep the dome shape will use ceramic blanket then perlcrete or vermicrete layer then the stucco or other water resistant material.

If you do no insulation you will use more wood and need larger fires to keep things hot.

Leave a comment:

• hsa
    replied

Wow thanks for the detailed help chip and Colin! Will pass on to hubby!
    Will attempt to fill the inside maybe with a giant icing bag �������� I imagine it will be ideal!

Hubby asked me if we need an insulation layer/fire blanket layer...
    What do you guys think and suggest as the insulation?

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

The natural function of an oven to expand and contract, so if you imagine fires and heat from 0-500c and higher, cracking is inevitable.
    Building retaining brick bond, gaps etc all party a roll. But cracks are inevitable with all that expansion and connection.
    I been lucky and have no cracks at all (currently). Though I built mine a little differently to most. Fill them in by all means but they will open up again at some point.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

There are some gaps on the inside that I would like to fill..... But of course with the dome complete that will be a small challenge...
    You can get inside...

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Tx chip, will try
    Cracking is almost impossible to avoid but will surely happen and more dramatically if you go to fast when drying the oven. It should take at least a week of 2 small fires a day to dry it out. Even then the performance you will get a month or two later will be even better.

Start the small fires with 2-3 small sticks, the size of 2 fingers about 1 ft long, very dry, and some paper to get them started. Then just let them burn and go out. You may need to cut them in smaller pieces to get them to light. Also a wet oven will smoke quite a bit and may be difficult to keep a fire going that is why you need very dry wood and small pieces to light. Leave the door open between fires and you might even want to have a fan blowing into the doorway an hour after the fire goes out to aid in removing moisture.

If you have a rain make sure it is covered to keep the rain off. Do not fire it up if it looks like rain as it is difficult to cover if the oven is hot. Rain on the outside will set you back several days or more on your dry time.

Each day add one stick to the fire to increase the size and length of the burn. At the end of week one you can start to Bueno longer fires but still keep the size small for at least 2 weeks of twice daily fires.

You should be able to cook a chicken or something else of your choosing with the live fire at the end of week 1.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 05-24-2015, 10:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hsa
    replied

Tx chip, will try

Leave a comment:

• hsa
    replied

He bought "A grade fire bricks" as well as floor tiles and insulation board for under that.. (same store as ht mortar) and managed to shape it without cutting the bricks.. Tho it was a rushed affair done over 2 days... ��
    It has been drying now for a week... Maybe 2 more?...

The clay pavers will have to be used elsewhere ��

There are some gaps on the inside that I would like to fill..... But of course with the dome complete that will be a small challenge...

Fingers crossed it works well when we fire it up �� can't wait!

Thank you guys for your advice and support during this build!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X