Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrchipster
    replied
    Re: Attempted new build currently on hold and in need of divine intervention LOL

Looks like you are getting close. With those clay pavers and it appears a good bit of mortar on the outside, take your time drying the oven. Start with several very small fires or charcoal fires to get it to dry out.

Leave a comment:

• hsa
    replied
    Re: Attempted new build currently on hold and in need of divine intervention LOL

Errrhhhhhmmmm
    Hubby on board... And taken over 😕

Leave a comment:

• hsa
    replied

David, have already invested in the ht mortar...

Leave a comment:

• hsa
    replied

Noted. Tx Chip 👍

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

One thing that is very important. Do not mix up more mortar than you can use in about 5 minutes, for the first few batches. Or until you get a handle on how long it takes you to lay the bricks.

It will set up much faster than you think.

Leave a comment:

• hsa
    replied

Thanks David!

Yep, have read that many times but really didn n't want to risk it cracking so bought a 25l bucket...
    Also did ask the supplier of the mortar, who make and sell these oven kits as well, if it needed "baking" to harden/set and they said it didn't...
    They didn't recommend mixing the ht mortar mix with normal cement though...

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by hsa View Post
    So guys. I have purchased ht mortar mix i am told to add 10l water to. Can I mix Normal General purpose cement in with that. As in 1:1 equal quantity of the mortar mix to GP cement?

Also I have 100 or so full clay pavers..... What are my options?
    can I make it work without cutting ://
    Need to source more...

Tx in advance
    You should look at the data sheet or instructions for your ht mortar. I presume ht stands for high temperature. If so it has been designed for around double the temperature that we fire to and probably contains high temperature aggregates that are not required for WFO temps. In addition it probably contains calcium aluminate cement which in conjunction with calcium silicate cement ( Portland, the normal builders cement) it will accelerate the hardening making working time for each batch of mortar really short. High temperature mortars also depend on their clay content being sintered ie being taken to a temperature sufficient to make them permanent (over 600 C)

Second question, sure you can do it without cutting the pavers. You will just have bigger gaps on the outside which just requires more mortar to fill them. The Homebrew is a way better option IMO.
    Last edited by david s; 05-11-2015, 01:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hsa
    replied

So guys. I have purchased ht mortar mix i am told to add 10l water to. Can I mix Normal General purpose cement in with that. As in 1:1 equal quantity of the mortar mix to GP cement?

Also I have 100 or so full clay pavers..... What are my options?
    can I make it work without cutting ://
    Need to source more...

Tx in advance

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

And how happy are we that most of Aus gets little of that white stuff. I suppose it is what you grow with.

Leave a comment:

• hsa
    replied

Oooh! U r right mrchippy

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by hsa View Post
    Ooh I forgot to update
    Freezing and rainy and kids getting sick so prodding along!!!!
    I understand rainy but your temp is far from freezing😮

Leave a comment:

• hsa
    replied

Last edited by hsa; 05-08-2015, 03:40 PM. Reason: Pic didn't attach

Leave a comment:

• hsa
    replied

Ooh I forgot to update. I called the cfs. They wanted to know wat I was so concerned abt. As long as there is a way to extinguish a fire and it's not left unattended and not used to burn household or garden waste, I don't think it's such a huge deal.
    I will have clearance at the front of the oven and yeah.... Jus was busy preparing a base for the build....
    Freezing and rainy and kids getting sick so prodding along!!!!

Leave a comment:

• hsa
    replied

Moving along slowly.... ☺️��☺️

Leave a comment:

• hsa
    replied

Tx jeep 😄u made me LOL
    I dnt give up noooo that's not an option 💪

Dry wood Yep for sure cos moisture causes more smoke. And true abt wind... Well! My hubby will be the fire lighter. I create. He maintains LOL same with the kids 😝

Leave a comment:

Working...
X