No announcement yet.

Attempted new build currently on hold and in need of divine intervention LOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempted new build currently on hold and in need of divine intervention LOL

Hello guys!
    Another rookie on here but what I will share with u might scare you, either that or make u laugh.... In which case I will be really devastated n sad..

However I had a dream... Of building a pizza oven cheaply using what I had, with barely any spending... Fat chance!
    I woke up with an idea of building it on a round wooden table... it slowly dawned on me there Was a reason PPl haven't done that.

I already had got hold of a round table 1.2m diameter.
    And have gotten hold of abt 100 plus clay pavers and have few at home in red that I can steal from around the house and just made a call to source some of that special mortar mix ppl talk of and is $49 in Kent town! Jus add water - refractory mortar.

Till I had another brainwave of turning it over and using the bottom as the base For the oven...

So thus far I have removed legs and laid some spare cement pavers and have cemented over them! $5 something at mitre 10 - 2 bags! It's now pretty solid!
    Once that is done my "plan", I think is to build a wall for the insulation layer.... And for that I was considering sea sand and the wine bottles kinda setup I've seen online... ??

Alas I am unsure when I will get to that stage as atm it seems too heavy in the state it is in ((((
    LOLOL!! Sigh!

I have no base 8/ as in strong structure to place the floor I have created and to sit this upon!
    It's currently sitting on a steel potting trolley bench that for a few moments I thought I could leave it on. But is not the safest thing to do as it is in no way attached .... Plus the trolley houses the existing "build" a bit to close to the house and needs moving!
    At the moment I can barely push the trolley and the table top invention is pretty heavy. I will start praying that it can be moved! Hubby is not keen on any of my projects and i usually do them alone so atm I have to work out an area to place the cement/wood base and prep it befor enlisting his help so I can start my build....

I measured and measured but there is NO spot with a 4 metre clearance and the only area I favour placing it is next to a shed and a metre away from a trellis and 2-3m away from a gum tree. While I dnt believe they will b in danger, I wanted to ask what are my options of making this happen!! And if later adding a wall around 3 sides (if it ever happens) makes a difference to safety.

The area described above needs to be prepared too and I need to slowly saw away an existing tree stump, lay sum pavers there, source some blocks to build a low base... Then only can I place the tabletop/cement piece on it and start building up... This area is raised and would be accessible easily from a step down cemented portion of the garden. Pretty confusing without photos but I will try to load some later if I can.

From your experience, Can you guys see this happening?? Should I just throw in the shovel?
    My next door neighbours dnt seem friendly at all and Won't be happy if any smoke comes there way and while it will be 4m from there boundary, it will not meet spec in terms of being near my shed and not have the 4m clearance around it... So it is risky.

Sigh!
    Cheese,
    Ash

Re: Attempted new build currently on hold and in need of divine intervention LOL

G'day
    Sounds like you need a cheering up
    Finding the Center: Quick Brick Backyard Oven
    Is a link to a dry stack oven. There not at all permanent at all. In fact there more likely to fall down by them selves over time. Just the thing to play with till you find out if the neighbours are friendly. They are a lot of fun to make and you can reuse the pieces later cause you realize you'll want a more permanent oven in the end
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Re: Attempted new build currently on hold and in need of divine intervention LOL

G'day again
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...tml#post115981
      Another link. Mick is also a Sth Australian, builder of a few Paver Pompeii ovens and would probably have a little be local knowledge on setbacks fire restrictions' etc.( his oven got enclosed with a tin house from memory) Leave a message for him on his build thread and see if he replies
      By the way that last link that oven used kiln shelves, not something you find in a suburban back yard. Most of the other ovens I've seen have used lengths of angle steel. I just picked that oven due to its size.
      Google dry stack oven and you'll find a heap.
      Regards Dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hello hsa - some souls would back away from the challenge but I detect that you are made of sterner stuff than that.

Mandatory specifications can bite and that is amplified when the neighbours are cranky. The little things might be what you can find heart in. Which way is the prevailing wind, does it blow away from the neighbours? How big is the gum tree? if it is tall enough to be above the action then it will not be a fire hazard.

It would be a pity to have your dream snuffed out because of details and there is usually a way around them. Measure again, get a bit closer to your neighbours and have a read of the material Dave has provided.

Where there is a will there is a way. If all else fails, call Christopher Pyne, he has an answer for everything and if that falls flat, a call to Penny Wong might work, she is a doer.
        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Aw bless ur pizza loving hearts!
          U guys are so helpful. Tx stacks dave especially!

Will do as u suggested tx dave re: mick... And while I appreciate the link... wait do these oven realt emit a lot of smoke? Enough to be a disturbance? Even if I go small??.

Ahhhhhh well atm I'm slowly hacking away at the stump sitting in the spot I have selected.
          We get our rain in winter so been keeping me away (as well as my little bub LOLOL) gosh u would think a mother of a 5mth old would be too busy for this sort of adventure hahaha but I have a such a good one! She looks on as I do my stuff )

So far 😃 I have acquired 20 firebricks, 120 clay pavers, have a cemented round base to start my build on and 25lt/kg HT Mortar!
          I have also paved around the stump while working on getting it out of my way and the plan is to raise the concrete base by 2/3 blocks over that area.

Well!! In the meantime my progress has stirred hubby's interest so he is one foot on board atm.

Since I've got some proper material hmmm I'm considering making the call to find out abt restrictions from a horses mouth! And hopefully I will have great news )
          pls consider the neighbour in question unapproachable..... I tried to invite him to a neighbour get together 1mth ago. Didnt say hello in the 5yrs since we bought here. So 👎👎
          The gum tree is very tall but I might just be 4m clear actually will re-measure as you guys advised.

Tbc...
          Thank u for ur support!
          Cheese,
          Ash

Comment

hsa:

The amount of smoke is dependent on two factors

(1) the type and quality of wood you are using. If the wood is good and seasoned, there might only be little smoke. The wood must be good and dry. Any moisture trapped in the wood will rob your fire of heat.

(2) your skill at building and maintaining a fire. Smoke usually only occurs during startup. Once you get the fire going good and hot, then you shouldnt have much smoke at all.

Greenman makes an excellent point about the prevailing winds. I actually prefer a windy day because the wind dissipates the smoke quickly. A calm day, smoke can linger and get carried to a neighbors property.

You've come this far...would be a shame to throw in the towel now. Keep the faith!!! Stay the course!!! and you will eat pizza!

Comment

Tx jeep 😄u made me LOL
              I dnt give up noooo that's not an option 💪

Dry wood Yep for sure cos moisture causes more smoke. And true abt wind... Well! My hubby will be the fire lighter. I create. He maintains LOL same with the kids 😝
              Cheese,
              Ash

Comment

Moving along slowly.... ☺️��☺️
                Cheese,
                Ash

Comment

Ooh I forgot to update. I called the cfs. They wanted to know wat I was so concerned abt. As long as there is a way to extinguish a fire and it's not left unattended and not used to burn household or garden waste, I don't think it's such a huge deal.
                  I will have clearance at the front of the oven and yeah.... Jus was busy preparing a base for the build....
                  Freezing and rainy and kids getting sick so prodding along!!!!
                  Cheese,
                  Ash

Comment

Last edited by hsa; 05-08-2015, 03:40 PM. Reason: Pic didn't attach
                    Cheese,
                    Ash

Comment

Originally posted by hsa View Post
                      Ooh I forgot to update
                      Freezing and rainy and kids getting sick so prodding along!!!!
                      I understand rainy but your temp is far from freezing😮
                      Chip

Comment

Oooh! U r right mrchippy
                        Cheese,
                        Ash

Comment

And how happy are we that most of Aus gets little of that white stuff. I suppose it is what you grow with.
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

So guys. I have purchased ht mortar mix i am told to add 10l water to. Can I mix Normal General purpose cement in with that. As in 1:1 equal quantity of the mortar mix to GP cement?

Also I have 100 or so full clay pavers..... What are my options?
                            can I make it work without cutting ://
                            Need to source more...

Tx in advance
                            Cheese,
                            Ash

Comment

Originally posted by hsa View Post
                              So guys. I have purchased ht mortar mix i am told to add 10l water to. Can I mix Normal General purpose cement in with that. As in 1:1 equal quantity of the mortar mix to GP cement?

Also I have 100 or so full clay pavers..... What are my options?
                              can I make it work without cutting ://
                              Need to source more...

Tx in advance
                              You should look at the data sheet or instructions for your ht mortar. I presume ht stands for high temperature. If so it has been designed for around double the temperature that we fire to and probably contains high temperature aggregates that are not required for WFO temps. In addition it probably contains calcium aluminate cement which in conjunction with calcium silicate cement ( Portland, the normal builders cement) it will accelerate the hardening making working time for each batch of mortar really short. High temperature mortars also depend on their clay content being sintered ie being taken to a temperature sufficient to make them permanent (over 600 C)

Second question, sure you can do it without cutting the pavers. You will just have bigger gaps on the outside which just requires more mortar to fill them. The Homebrew is a way better option IMO.
                              Last edited by david s; 05-11-2015, 01:04 AM.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X