No announcement yet.

Attempted new build currently on hold and in need of divine intervention LOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attempted new build currently on hold and in need of divine intervention LOL

Thanks David!

Yep, have read that many times but really didn n't want to risk it cracking so bought a 25l bucket...
    Also did ask the supplier of the mortar, who make and sell these oven kits as well, if it needed "baking" to harden/set and they said it didn't...
    They didn't recommend mixing the ht mortar mix with normal cement though...
    Cheese,
    Ash

Comment

Re: Attempted new build currently on hold and in need of divine intervention LOL

One thing that is very important. Do not mix up more mortar than you can use in about 5 minutes, for the first few batches. Or until you get a handle on how long it takes you to lay the bricks.

It will set up much faster than you think.
      Chip

Comment

Noted. Tx Chip 👍
        Cheese,
        Ash

Comment

David, have already invested in the ht mortar...
          Cheese,
          Ash

Comment

Errrhhhhhmmmm
            Hubby on board... And taken over 😕
            Cheese,
            Ash

Comment

Looks like you are getting close. With those clay pavers and it appears a good bit of mortar on the outside, take your time drying the oven. Start with several very small fires or charcoal fires to get it to dry out.
              Chip

Comment

He bought "A grade fire bricks" as well as floor tiles and insulation board for under that.. (same store as ht mortar) and managed to shape it without cutting the bricks.. Tho it was a rushed affair done over 2 days... ��
                It has been drying now for a week... Maybe 2 more?...

The clay pavers will have to be used elsewhere ��

There are some gaps on the inside that I would like to fill..... But of course with the dome complete that will be a small challenge...

Fingers crossed it works well when we fire it up �� can't wait!

Thank you guys for your advice and support during this build!!
                Cheese,
                Ash

Comment

Tx chip, will try
                  Cheese,
                  Ash

Comment

Originally posted by hsa View Post
                    Tx chip, will try
                    Cracking is almost impossible to avoid but will surely happen and more dramatically if you go to fast when drying the oven. It should take at least a week of 2 small fires a day to dry it out. Even then the performance you will get a month or two later will be even better.

Start the small fires with 2-3 small sticks, the size of 2 fingers about 1 ft long, very dry, and some paper to get them started. Then just let them burn and go out. You may need to cut them in smaller pieces to get them to light. Also a wet oven will smoke quite a bit and may be difficult to keep a fire going that is why you need very dry wood and small pieces to light. Leave the door open between fires and you might even want to have a fan blowing into the doorway an hour after the fire goes out to aid in removing moisture.

If you have a rain make sure it is covered to keep the rain off. Do not fire it up if it looks like rain as it is difficult to cover if the oven is hot. Rain on the outside will set you back several days or more on your dry time.

Each day add one stick to the fire to increase the size and length of the burn. At the end of week one you can start to Bueno longer fires but still keep the size small for at least 2 weeks of twice daily fires.

You should be able to cook a chicken or something else of your choosing with the live fire at the end of week 1.
                    Last edited by mrchipster; 05-24-2015, 10:44 AM.
                    Chip

Comment

There are some gaps on the inside that I would like to fill..... But of course with the dome complete that will be a small challenge...
                      You can get inside...
                      Chip

Comment

The natural function of an oven to expand and contract, so if you imagine fires and heat from 0-500c and higher, cracking is inevitable.
                        Building retaining brick bond, gaps etc all party a roll. But cracks are inevitable with all that expansion and connection.
                        I been lucky and have no cracks at all (currently). Though I built mine a little differently to most. Fill them in by all means but they will open up again at some point.
                        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Wow thanks for the detailed help chip and Colin! Will pass on to hubby!
                          Will attempt to fill the inside maybe with a giant icing bag �������� I imagine it will be ideal!

Hubby asked me if we need an insulation layer/fire blanket layer...
                          What do you guys think and suggest as the insulation?
                          Cheese,
                          Ash

Comment

Wow thanks for the detailed help chip and Colin! Will pass on to hubby!
                            Will attempt to fill the inside maybe with a giant icing bag �������� I imagine it will be ideal!

Hubby asked me if we need an insulation layer/fire blanket layer...
                            What do you guys think and suggest as the insulation?
                            Most builders on the site use ceramic blanket as the insulating layer and then some add additional insulation, I added over 4 inches of ceramic and then 4 inches to 2 ft of perlite over the blanket. But I have a house design so I just filled it up with loose perlite.

Many who keep the dome shape will use ceramic blanket then perlcrete or vermicrete layer then the stucco or other water resistant material.

If you do no insulation you will use more wood and need larger fires to keep things hot.
                            Chip

Comment

Has I did mine differently I.e. Used a cement based later to lock the bricks in place. Worked a treat. Followed by 3 layers of blanket then around 2 inches of render then my finishing later.

What chip said above plus the insulation and a good insulated door allows you to cook for up to 4 days.

The more insulation the better.
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Has I did mine differently I.e. Used a cement based later to lock the bricks in place. Worked a treat. Followed by 3 layers of blanket then around 2 inches of render then my finishing later.

What chip said above plus the insulation and a good insulated door allows you to cook for up to 4 days.

The more insulation the better.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X