New WFO in Perth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New WFO in Perth

Hi everyone, so happy to build my WFO and getting material together and this forum is helping me a lot to understand things I need to do.. I got some refractory insulation light weight bricks that I was going to use for heart insulation. They perform well at 1400 degrees C as they would reflect the heat away from concrete slab. Can someone tell me please is this a good idea??

Yandi,

If the insulating fire bricks (IFB) are truly insulating (they are very light, can be scored easily with a knife and have a porous character to them) they are fine for insulating "under" your fire brick hearth. Typically IFBs are really expensive relative to regular fire bricks and are more costly then other forms of insulation, ie ceramic fiber board, perlite/vermiculate-concrete mix. That said, I have seen several Southern Hemi builds where IFB were used as insulation, it is what your budget can afford. I would also post this in the Aussie region forum and those folks can give you a heads up on local suppliers.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 12-14-2015, 07:34 AM.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for that UtahBeehiver , they are exactly how you described , I got them at very good price from friend of mine.. I got told to use them on dome as well so will do that as well, its good to have extra insulation.. Thanks again

Comment

IFB are only for insulating, not where they are exposed. You can use them on the dome but only on the outside of the regular fire brick. They are too soft to be exposed in the inside of the dome face.
        Russell

Comment

Yes will do that and cut them down to 1" thick plus blanket will do a good job

Comment

Hi Yandi, good to see you have started a build thread. Have you gotten the placement of your one-piece arch figured out yet? Most of us building hemispherical arches vary the thickness of the arch bricks, as well as the angle at the top of the arch. Your solid arch might add a few challenges to the dome arch intersection, so it will be interesting to see what solutions you come up with.
            Please post some pictures soon - there are a bunch of experienced builders on this site (I'm not one of them) that will be able to offer guidance for pretty much every step of your build.
            My build thread
            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Yes , finaly thread is up and running) I got good feedback regarding my bricks happy now but that arch is going to be a pain.. Well It will be hard for start but will send photos and thanks everyone that helped me so far!!

Comment

What are the dimensions of the arch? Are they going to give you the oven size you really want? If it is too big you could maybe incorporate it into the vent arch (inner or outer), and if too small you might just want to make an arch out of bricks. I know it would be extra cost but we are only talking maybe 15-17 bricks, unless you need to cut them twice like I did
                My build thread
                https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Inside radius of arch is perfect for 36" oven but outside radius is bit bigger but can modify it to suit , the width is 120mm and should be fine. Will to test run with couple of bricks next to arch and will show you some photos.

Comment

Hi everyone, I'm back on forum and got some time to work on my wfo. Finally happy with my design and transition from dome to my existing arch. Any suggestions and maybe change would help, thanks in advance..

Comment

Yandi,

Are those insulated firebrick that you are using to build the dome? The entry arch appears to be made from the same type of brick. If so, you might want to rethink your choices of material.
                      Last edited by Gulf; 01-24-2016, 07:16 PM.
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf

Those insulated bricks I had some spare and been using them for testing and will not use them for dome but arch is made out of proper staff same as fire brick as was imported from Italy. Any way thanks for your help all good..

Comment

Yandi,

Glad you cleared up the IFB used that Gulf mentioned, I was also concerned about where you were using them. The arch material also looked similar so no sure what you meant about being the same as the "dense" firebrick. If you can cut this material with a hand saw then it is the wrong material.

Is you have an IT in place. The IT will help you determine the inner arch angle you need for a tapered arch. It looks like the existing angle are too deep. Here is a pic from Mr. Chipster showing how the IT help you determine the angles of a tapered inner arch. The slope of the inner arch is the same as the slope of the centerline of the IT.

Russell

Comment

UtahBeehiver,

Thanks for help yes that angle is too deep, one's I start the dome then will do proper angle with my IT tool. Regarding arch and bricks I have to explain from start, insulation bricks I bought from different place and have lots of them. Arch, fire bricks and cooking floor got from lady that she got imported from Italy as kit to assembly on their own. Her husband got sick so they had to sell it. I plan to use cooking floor and another half fire bricks. The cooking floor and arch are made from same staff as fire bricks. Here are some pictures of that kit. Regards

Comment

Back in game after long time. Here some photos and more to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X