Eyspy's Barn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyspy's Barn

This barn I have built 6 months ago is to be the home of our first wood fired cooking dome. Could have called it a pizza oven, but will be used for way more than pizza 🍕🍗🍢🍔🌮🌶.

The barn itself was constructed entirely out of re cycled materials obtained for almost FREE. (I love rustic and I love free even better)

First up, we live on the Copper Coast, near Moonta Bay in South Australia on a few acres of land in a 100 plus year old homestead surrounded by farm land, with distant views to the ocean. We love it here.

We love our camp oven cooking and open fires and had a spot in the yard where each winter we would chill out with our 5 kids around an open fire, but swirling winds, rain and cold backs gave me the idea of building a rustic barn over our heads for more comfortable outdoor enjoyment.
    I let me fingers do the walking and flipped through the yellow pages for recycled timber suppliers and was quickly saddened when I realised the timber was going to cost thousands and thousands of $$$$

As luck would have it the very next day in my best scrounging efforts I seen an add by a local farmer on a Facebook buy and sell site , selling timber from a 100 year old horse stable. I put my rocket scates on and was there quick as a flash!
    The timber was exactly what I was after, 8 m long 125x125 jarrah posts, 200x 80 Oregon beams 100x50 Oregon rafters and a whole stack of assorted timbers in varying sizes. Everything had the character of 100 years living, and was just what the doctor ordered.
    The farmer Sussed me out and wanted to know my plans for it, so I told him of my vision to build a barn and fire pit area for our large family. He listened intently and when I was finished he reached out and shook my hand and said "You are just the person I am after, you can have the lot for FREE"
    I think he just wanted to see it put to good use and not someone re selling for a profit. Needless to say I was stoked!! 🤗

He was the most generous person I have ever met, not just with the the free timber, but he also gave me some farm workers to help pull it down. In the end there was so much timber and old rusty iron that he loaded it onto his semi trailer low loader and delivered 40 kms away for FREE!! They broke the mould when he was born. I ended up buying a stack of beer for all his workers.

Anyway, that's the story of our barn and where the timber came from. It took me a couple of weeks to get the posts dug in, frame up and clad with the old iron. The pictures speak for themselves. Where you see the sign, " danger blasting" I am going to put a window in so we have more light and can enjoy ocean sunsets.
    To the left where the stack of bricks is where our 'Pizza Oven" is going to be. The rest of the barn will take shape and evolve over the years as my scrounging efforts at farm clearing sales gathers more rustic artefacts from a bygone era to decorate the walls Etc...

At the moment we just use the Webber in there and the gas bbq, the flue on the fir pit needs altering as well (needs to be more of a cone and lower to the fire as its not drawing to great)

The bricks are just for the pizza oven base (got 350 bricks locally for $60) , I will dig some footings then just build up to the size required, as I progress I will fill in the centre with old stones and bricks I have laying around the property. The idea is it will get rid of some un wanted rubble and when it's up to the right height I will be able to lay a slab of concrete right on top, which is where I will then use 'fire bricks' for the oven itself.
    Don't ask for sizes or dimensions yet as I haven't got that far.

I will post progression pictures as I proceed with the build, but the promise to my family is to have it all up and running before winter arrives, which give me roughly 3 to 4 months to get my butt into gear 😭

Will post photos separately as I just realised I took them upside down and as this is my first time using this iPad I don't know how to rotate so will go out and take again 😁
    Last edited by eyspy; 01-26-2016, 04:04 AM.

This better 😊

Comment

Hi Eyspy

Welcome, thanks for the great story with the timber and barn. I will follow your build with interest.
      I'm in Adelaide (Semaphore) I use to visit Moonta a bit for work, built and maintained the lighthouse (tower) at Warburto Point, probably shines in your eyes at night
      If you get to town give us a PM and will try to help out were I can.
      Liteceeper
      ~~~~~~~
      My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ide-19729.html
      My Door - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/9/sh...tml#post170496

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Litekeeper, will do that 4 sure/ Cheers mate

Comment

Eyspy,

Cool story about the timbers, gives me faith in people again. I am sure your timber frame barn will get attention from Gulf, his out building is similar. I get to the Southern Hemi every few years so this build may be on my check out list. There's a builder in Townsville, NQ I have wanted to visit as well as others.
          Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 01-28-2016, 07:23 PM.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
            Eyspy,

Cool story about the timbers, gives me faith in people again. I am sure your timber frame barn will get attention from Gulf, his out building is similar. I get to the Southern Hemi every few years so this build may be on my check out list. There's a builder in Queenstown I have wanted to visit as well as others.
            If you ever get to Paso Robles Ca. Wine country, look me up!!
            Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

And here I thought the pics were just upside down because you were in Australia
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                And here I thought the pics were just upside down because you were in Australia
                LOL :-) One could be well forgiven for thinking that..... at least we are the right way up :-)

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                  Eyspy,

Cool story about the timbers, gives me faith in people again. I am sure your timber frame barn will get attention from Gulf, his out building is similar. I get to the Southern Hemi every few years so this build may be on my check out list. There's a builder in Queenstown I have wanted to visit as well as others.
                  u r more than welcome, and hopefully by then it will be complete for a smokey cook up?

Comment

Originally posted by Novaslo View Post

If you ever get to Paso Robles Ca. Wine country, look me up!!
                    Wine Country, your talking my language. I have had the privilege of living and working in two of the worlds best wine regions. The Barossa Valley for many years (famous for it's robust reds), was only there last week visiting my brother who works at Richmond Grove Winery (Don't tell him, but I only visit when my cellar is getting low).
                    Also lived in neighbouring Clare Valley better suited to the Whites. Had the priveage of meeting many wine makers and cooking with their wines for some 'Gourmet wine/food nights' Meet and talk with the winemaker and Chef (myself). Live only an hour away from Clare (2 hours from the Barossa). Much prefer the coastal location we are in now as the fishing is great! (and not too far for a nice drive to a restaurant and fine dining, although with my large family it's more like fish and chips on the beach in my boards and thongs )

Comment

Espy,

Great score on the timbers and metal. It looks great! Russell is right about me liking the rustic look. But, I only wish that my little storage shed was like your big intertainment barn. Mine is full of motorcycles, building material, tools and scroungings at the moment .
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Well done on the shed. I notice in your pics that the chimney is adjacent the roof timbers this is a major fire hazard and you should isolate it at least 200 mm from any timber

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                          Espy,

Great score on the timbers and metal. It looks great! Russell is right about me liking the rustic look. But, I only wish that my little storage shed was like your big intertainment barn. Mine is full of motorcycles, building material, tools and scroungings at the moment .
                          Motorcycles! I would love to 'overfill' it with motorcycles but alas the budget does not allow. Here I am at 56 years of age and still ripping up the bush in dirt bikes pretended to be a Crusty Demon. Bones break easier than they used to as I can sadly attest to. Bike less at the moment still waiting to decide whether to continue with dirt bikes or get back on a HOG again?
                          5 demanding kids might answer that for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Toomulla View Post
                            Well done on the shed. I notice in your pics that the chimney is adjacent the roof timbers this is a major fire hazard and you should isolate it at least 200 mm from any timber
                            Thanks for the heads up. When I planned this I was trying to make life easy and thought the heat would not be that bad, but I was wrong and it gets quite hot. It has to be modified for sure and that is why last winter it barely got used. I new hood and move away from the timbers is happening very soon.

Comment

G'day
                              I'll be interested in seeing your build. You've got a grand shed there, it will be a perfect backdrop to an oven. I'm pretty impressed that an Aussie bloke is willing to share his shed with the family.
                              If you havnt got a set of plans yet go to the Forno shop and put a set in your basket. They are pretty much free and requires a donation only.
                              The plans will be set to you as a PDF file. They are more than a set of drawings and go into a lot of information of the whys and why nots.
                              Ask questions, you've landed in the middle of some of the most knowledgeable oven builders and they will see you right.
                              Regards dave
                              Last edited by cobblerdave; 01-26-2016, 07:08 PM.
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                              X