No announcement yet.

Build started in Mountain Top NSW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You’re not old Russell, mature. Like me!

Gulfs build is a very nice one! I’ve got in mind an iron roof as well and in keeping with the round shape of the dome, curved. It’ll span more over the front to give me shelter while cooking and wide enough to keep the rain off the dome, slope back to allow the water to fall into the garden area. Most likely will use square gal and bolt to the block work. The only thing I envisage is the poles might get in the way of overhanging granite slab work that I might put on the sides.

We say here
    happy wife happy life
    Take my wife. PLEASE! she always hates my brainstorms at first but comes around in the end.
    Last edited by Gretsch; 03-02-2018, 02:22 PM. Reason: Additional text

Vince Ieraci

This is rocket science.

Comment

Have you considered free form ferro cement? Far more permanent and probably cheaper than a timber framed iron roof.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        Have you considered free form ferro cement? Far more permanent and probably cheaper than a timber framed iron roof.
        Dont think so, don’t particularly like the look and doesn’t suit my surroundings.
        I’m intending on making the roof frame gal steel.
        Last edited by Gretsch; 03-02-2018, 03:12 PM.

Vince Ieraci

This is rocket science.

Comment

OK fellow WFO'ers, I need some advice here.
          It's been raining on and off for nearly 2 weeks now and my oven has been under cover and should be quite dry underneath.
          I re-scheduled a pizza night for my neighbours 2 weeks ago for tomorrow afternoon but the showers keep on coming and the forecast is for continued showers until next week and maybe beyond.

I can either cancel again which won't go down well, or attempt to go ahead in which case I'm thinking of keeping the tarp over the dome, but peeled back a bit so the chimney won't burn it.
          There's a good chance of a little rain hitting the warm-ish chimney bricks.

Am I running a risk of breaking something ? Anyone done this before ?

Vince Ieraci

This is rocket science.

Comment

I'd certainly not be afraid to fire up the oven for your "delayed" pizza party. Your oven might have picked up some moisture (just from humidity), but bringing it up to pizza temps will expel that pretty quickly. Based on your picture of the covered oven, it doesn't look like the on and off rain would have gotten anything inside very damp. You might want to start your fire a bit early and bring the oven up a little more slowly for your pizza party...if nothing else than for piece of mind . I'd pull the tarp off completely before your party as once the oven is firing, it's not going to absorb enough water from a casual shower to actually penetrate and affect your insulation. Those chimney bricks will be fine with a bit of rain during pizza.

Up at the lake (in SW Canada), we have a friend with a Casa2G90 oven that is only covered during the winter and after a short "cure" in the spring, it's fired enough to stay pretty dry inside and doesn't seem to be a problem. Definitely by covering when not in use during rainy season, you really save yourself a lot of time drying out excess moisture. Several folks in the more tropical Australia areas have talked about even with covering, these ovens may absorb enough moisture to need some extra, slow firings to come back up to "normal" operation. I don't remember anyone having actual damage result from minor/normal moisture absorption over short periods of storage/covering.

Again, fire up a little slow and a bit early for your planned party time...I'd be more worried about getting my cheese & meat (and guests) wet during a brief shower
            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Try keeping a gentle fire going all day to dry the oven a day or two before your party.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Well once again thanks for the feedback, the party was a roaring success. It rained a bit, I did leave the tarp over the dome some of the showers were on the heavy side, it just made me feel better about it.

After a brief demo we got everyone to form their own pizzas and I was surprised at how well they did. The dough this time around was easy to work thanks to some YouTube videos I think the secret was letting the balls rest for around 8 hours. The macadamia wood burnt really well. Didn’t get to take any photos we were too busy having fun

Today I’m going to make ciabatta and will post some pictures of my creation.

Vince Ieraci

This is rocket science.

Comment

Ciabatta !

Vince Ieraci

This is rocket science.

Comment

Gretsch, great looking Ciabatta! I suspect that after the pizza party, you've got a following to help turn those loaves into fabulous chews. ...so now you'll have to find a good source for larger quantities of quality butter to go with quality bread...
                    Roseburg, Oregon

Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile

Comment

Thanks Mike, third attempt and they turned out ok. first go my brain was on strike. I knew the oven shouldn't be too hot, the recipe book said the oven should be around 450 F. Of course I put the loaves into an oven of 450C needless to say they turned to charcoal in a matter of minutes, and so did my wooden door Now busy making a stainless steel one !

Second attempt they didn't rise enough. After some youtube-ing I learnt the dough is supposed to be very wet and also learnt how to handle it without getting sticky dough all over my hands, stretching and folding instead of kneading and gentle handling on the last step to retain the air bubbles. Reckon I can improve them thou, I'm a bit reluctant to hand them out until I'm satisfied others will enjoy them.

As for the butter, you can't beat a lump of salami on a slab of Ciabatta !
                      Fabulous stuff for wiping up sauce too
                      Last edited by Gretsch; 03-15-2018, 04:36 AM.

Vince Ieraci

This is rocket science.

Comment

I thought I'd post some pictures of the wooden door I made and the results of my first attempt at bread making. At least I got a laugh from the wife !
                        Well, the handles were just some scrap angle iron and it was just an experiment.

Vince Ieraci

This is rocket science.

Comment

And here's ver II flame proof (hopefully) door !
                          50mm of left over fb insulation inside so should hold the heat really well.
                          Handle is a piece of timber cut from an old axe handle with a piece of 25mm flat steel attaching to the door.
                          Later I'll sand the handle and give it a coat of clear to give it a bit of bling.

Vince Ieraci

This is rocket science.

Comment

Nice looking door #1...It was really good looking! One like that would be the show door, not the working door. I think your second door is just as nice looking and you certainly won't have to worry about it "smoking". I love the old axe handle re-purposing.

At our house we call the baked goods that have been exposed to "a bit extra heat" as over-caramelized not burnt...however, those first loaves...it was really worth it to give your wife such a happy moment If you can't have fun with this, then you need to do something else. I figure my ingredient costs for a batch of four baguettes is less than a buck, so it still remains the least expensive hobby I've ever had!
                            Roseburg, Oregon

Comment

I totally agree with all you said. Definitely fun times ahead.

Vince Ieraci

This is rocket science.

Comment

Nice looking door. I kind of wish I had put a handle in the middle for those times I need to "one hand" the door, but with the weigh of mine it's nice to be able to grab it with both hands.
                                My build thread
                                https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Working...
                                X