Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member, new build.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New member, new build.

    Hello all, embarking on a wood fire oven build. After many camping trips with friends who have a shack by the river with a wood fired oven where many a culinary delight has been produced I have decided that we need one at home.
    Have watched many YouTube videos and in the process of researching had found this great forum. Have been reading quite a lot and have found many great pointers. Will start another post asking questions and advice.

    Planning on a 47 inch , in a corner position.
    Last edited by The foxdale phantom; 03-22-2026, 02:16 AM.

  • #2
    You've stopped at the correct site. I had a fair amount of construction skills, but without the guidance, wisdom and experience of this group, my build would have turned out much differently (probably not in a good way). I was all set to build a barrel style using plans from a guy in Aus following a friend's build when I found FB Forum. I had the time during the pandemic shutdowns to read through years of posts here. What an education. And, it was really interesting to see how the craft has evolved.
    My Build: 42" Corner Build in the Shadow of Mount Nittany

    Comment


    • #3
      47" finished diameter, or 47" internal? That big of an internal is going to be a pretty big oven for home use!
      My build thread
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

      Comment


      • #4
        Yah was planning 47 internal , have the space. Big family so plan on doing some big cooks in it. Roasts, breads, pizza ect.

        Comment


        • #5
          Tried searching the forum with no luck but has any done or recommended building a raised shelf inside the WFO ?

          Comment


          • #6
            I tried a raised shelf in my oven once, when baking bread rolls using the retained heat ie door closed. It was not successful with the bottom level not cooking at all well. My conclusion was that because these ovens cook by radiating heat, the pan sitting on the shelf prevented radiant heat from reaching the rolls on the bottom row. With no fan assistance heat by convection also failed to reach the bottom level. I’ve not attempted it since. Brick bread ovens only have one row and a very low roof, which also explains the lack of multiple shelves in these types of ovens.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

            Comment


            • #7
              welcome, sounds like a great plan,good luck.

              Comment


              • #8
                Where’s the best and nearest to source FB and Insulation board in Nth. QLD ?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Scored some tiles from marketplace to lay on the bottom of hearth .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Got excited and started a mock up on the shed floor. Happy to take any criticisms on what I’ve laid out thus far. I’ve noticed from posts that I’m doing mine a little in reverse as the covered area will be built first and then WFO installed after.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by The foxdale phantom; 09-16-2026, 08:45 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	473437 Photo of BBQ/entertainmment/WFO area progress. I have delved into the Newbies archived post and have found a great deal of inspiration. Love the larger sized WFO of Karangi Dude’s and am pretty sure I’ll follow SableSprings Y shaped oven stand for my corner build. Where SableSprings utilized the space on either end for carts I’m picturing the continuation of right hand side to be a bench and the left will be fire wood storage with possibly a door (to keep snakes out or in ) . Visualising a timber beam across the front in place of the angle iron.

                      is it possible for admin to move my thread to the Australian builds section ?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Q’s , with my corner build one edge will be against a full height block wall, what’s the consensus on reinforcing the slab for the hearth to the block wall with say reo -bar?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by The foxdale phantom View Post
                          Q’s , with my corner build one edge will be against a full height block wall, what’s the consensus on reinforcing the slab for the hearth to the block wall with say reo -bar?
                          Most probably, (just guessing) that the block wall's cells are not filled. That may lead to the hangers failing due to shearing. I would lay 4" wide paver blocks on edge or a wall of brick for support from underneath. Regardless, if the cores were filled, that would probably be a quicker fix than drilling into the existing block wall to "hang" the rebar.
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Gulf block wall will be core filled , have added some reinforcement in the slab back right corner to take the weight of the WFO.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I moved your thread as requested. However, you get more views if the thread is under Pompeii Builds. Karagi Dude made some two great ovens and showed what cooking could be done other than pizzas. Sadly, we do not hear much from him anymore.
                              Russell
                              https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...L9lr_UnUgJbF3Z

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X