Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Materials in Vancouver, BC

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forum for a month or so now while I prepare to build my oven and have learned a lot from all the members, what a great resource.

I've had some difficulty tracking down materials in the Lower Mainland, but I've almost found everything so I thought I'd share.

Firebricks:

BC Brick Supply in Richmond- 1.18/brick
    IXL Masonry in Burnaby- 1.80/brick

Fire clay

Only supplier I could find was Greenbarn Potters Supply in Surrey. 100lb bag-16.00

Vermiculite/Perlite Large bags

AADT Solutions Vancouver Branch-604 322 6652 Have 110L bags of perlite for 13.75 and vermiculite for 26.50
    David Hunter Garden Center on Broadway has bags for around 50.00
    John's Plant Factory on Hastings has bags for around 40.00

Insulating blanket/board

Clayburn Refractories in Abbotsford. They sell firebrick and premix mortar as well, but the prices were significantly higher than elsewhere so I decided not to use them. I suspect that I may have been quoted a high capacity firebrick rather than medium, but by then I had found another supplier.

One interesting note is that both Clayburn and BC Brick reported that ALL of their pizza oven customers had been buying and using the premix wet mortar. After more research on the forum, I continued my search for fireclay as the general consensus is the homebrew mix is superior.

I hope this will save people some time and feel free to post if you have any questions.

Jesse

Re: Materials in Vancouver, BC

I'm looking for some ceramic fireboard. Does anyone know where I could get some?

Comment

Clayburn in Abbotsford would have it or be able to point you in the right direction.

Comment

Thanks Jesse.

I just started the search for materials and you saved me tons of time.

Colin.

Comment

Thanks for this post I’m building on Vancouver island and and coming to Vancouver next weekend to get supplies. How did the stove turn out ? What did you end up using for insulating the floor?

Comment

Originally posted by Vancouver36 View Post
            Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forum for a month or so now while I prepare to build my oven and have learned a lot from all the members, what a great resource.

I've had some difficulty tracking down materials in the Lower Mainland, but I've almost found everything so I thought I'd share.

Firebricks:

BC Brick Supply in Richmond- 1.18/brick
            IXL Masonry in Burnaby- 1.80/brick

Fire clay

Only supplier I could find was Greenbarn Potters Supply in Surrey. 100lb bag-16.00

Vermiculite/Perlite Large bags

AADT Solutions Vancouver Branch-604 322 6652 Have 110L bags of perlite for 13.75 and vermiculite for 26.50
            David Hunter Garden Center on Broadway has bags for around 50.00
            John's Plant Factory on Hastings has bags for around 40.00

Insulating blanket/board

Clayburn Refractories in Abbotsford. They sell firebrick and premix mortar as well, but the prices were significantly higher than elsewhere so I decided not to use them. I suspect that I may have been quoted a high capacity firebrick rather than medium, but by then I had found another supplier.

One interesting note is that both Clayburn and BC Brick reported that ALL of their pizza oven customers had been buying and using the premix wet mortar. After more research on the forum, I continued my search for fireclay as the general consensus is the homebrew mix is superior.

I hope this will save people some time and feel free to post if you have any questions.

Jesse
            Hey Jesse, Did you finish this build? Quick question, what did you use the 100lb bag of fireclay for? is that the binding material for the bricks? Sorry I am an idiot

Comment

Originally posted by Shaners15 View Post

Hey Jesse, Did you finish this build? Quick question, what did you use the 100lb bag of fireclay for? is that the binding material for the bricks? Sorry I am an idiot
              I'm not Jesse but I would recommend you use refractory concrete.

Comment

Working...
              X