X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrakeRemoray
    replied
    Re: Detroit Pizza Oven

Great looking location. I don't think you really need a dogloo form. You are probably better off with either no form (what most people are doing now...search for the indespensible tool), or with styrofoam to make a custom form. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

he told me the insulating brick is way better than the FB board, he said it won't break down like the FB board, did I get bad info?
    Insulating fire brick is plenty strong, but so is the board. Compressive strength isn't an issue. I'm talking about insulation properties. It's just regular firebrick with a bunch of sawdust mixed with the clay, which burns out upon firing, leaving air pockets. There's nothing wrong with it, it just isn't as efficient as a high tech refractory insulation board. It's also a bit expensive.

We've only heard about board breakdown with one brand of board, which I think was kaowool. FB board, or other mineral wool products like insblock19, or cal-sil board have not shown any such problems.

Leave a comment:

• Zuccato
    replied

I agree I have chopped the bottom section off the dogloo, I will post photos later.

I am going to have to talk to my refractory supplier, he told me the insulating brick is way better than the FB board, he said it won't break down like the FB board, did I get bad info?

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Remember: Insulating firebrick has about the same insulation value as vermiculite concrete: you'll need four inches under the floor.

Also: the dogloo is really tall by oven standards: if it's sacrificial anyway, you may want to start by cuting six inches or so off it, so get you better heat distribution.

That huge door will leak LOTS of heat.

Leave a comment:

• Zuccato
    started a topic Detroit Pizza Oven

Detroit Pizza Oven

This is day one of my building process, I have layed out the insulated brick instead of the FB Board, for my first layer on top of the concrete counter top, the supplier said FB BRICK has a much longer life.

I am using a igloo dog house from Walmart for my brick dome form.

Also have an antique door from an old wood burning stove I will incorporate some how.
Working...
X