X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RandyJ
    replied
    Re: Detroit Pizza Oven

Google mcgills wear house that is where I got my ceramic board and the also have blanket. They were nice to work with. Good prices and shipping was not to bad.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• OmiTheAussie
    replied

Previous post isnt showing up properly. So here it is again:

Hi guys, after finishing a build in Australia I had to move here to Farmington MI
    for work. I was looking for info on places where I can get
    refractory cement and ceramic thermal blankets
    (I bought a 50 sq foot roll in AUstralia for $50).

Leave a comment:

• OmiTheAussie
    replied

Hi guys, after finishing a build in Australia I had to move here to Farmington MI for work. Here is my previous build. I was looking for info on places where I can get refractory cement and ceramic thermal blankets (I bought a 50 sq foot roll in AUstralia for $50).

Leave a comment:

• philiph4@ameritech.net
    replied

I build a 36" oven. You can see a slide show of the build on you tube Phil's Wood Fired Oven Project.wmv - YouTube . I think a tour of Detroit would be fun!

Phil

Leave a comment:

• LKJR
    replied

Phil,

How big is your oven? The wife and I live in Farmington and are in the planning stages, so I'm trying to wage what I can fit in the yard and heat/recovery times.
    We should plan some kind of Detroit oven tour. I've only been reading on here intently for a week or so but I think there are 6-8 people with ovens.

Leave a comment:

• philiph4@ameritech.net
    replied

Marc,

I used Plibrico Super Demon pre-mixed mortar. I got it from a guy in Brighton (Michigan Refractory). People on the forum had a lot of negative opinions of this stuff. (see Refractory Mortar Poll). This stuff never actually hardens so it is never waterproof. I had a lot of conflicting advice from bring it up slowly to build a towering inferno and fire hard from the start. I decided to bring it up slow before I put the insulating blanket and insulation layer on and then started all over again once the insulation layer was in place. It took a little longer but I felt a little better about it when I was done. By the way. The Super Demon Mortar was great for the building process. Always ready to use and the bricks stuck great to it. Since I covered it with a vercrete insulating layer I wasn't too concerned about it not being waterproof. Now that I have been using the oven for 9 months I see no negative effects of using that mortar. So long story short, to cure the oven I would bring it up slowly after you pot on the insulating layer.

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Zuccato
    replied

Phil ,

Trust me my corned beef is top notch you won't be disaponted! Ask for me if you come in.

Leave a comment:

• Zuccato
    replied

Phil,

I didn't see your email ,maybe it went to spam. Could you PM me in this forum.

Also I have a question about curing, do you do the fire routine before or after you put on the thermal blanket?

Marc

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Zuccato,

Clever use of the dog house. How are you going to tear it out of the dome when you are done?

Leave a comment:

• philiph4@ameritech.net
    replied

Mark,

Did you get my email with my phone number. I would be happy to show you my oven.

By the way, I looked up the Bronx Deli. I love a corned beef special almost as much as pizza. I will be stopping in.

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Zuccato
    replied

Mfiore

Thanks can't wait to finish this oven. Here are some more pics. This is a door I will use off an antique wood oven.

Leave a comment:

• Zuccato
    replied

Phillip

Here is a guy who can deliver in Brighton :

HICKORY & OAK Firewood

Any chance I can come check out your oven?

Leave a comment:

• philiph4@ameritech.net
    replied

Zuccato,

I'm located in Farmington Hills and am 90% finished with my oven. It is fully functional and I'm making some great Pie. Now I just have to make it look pretty. Do you have a source for firewood in the area?

Phil

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Zuccato,

It's good to see another Michigan oven! Be sure to post some follow up on the k23 performance.

Leave a comment:

• Zuccato
    replied

FYI The k23 insulating fire brick is rated a 2300 degress, I just got off the phone with my suppler, you hade me worried because I am half way done with the oven.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X