• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Spear
    replied
    Re: Refractory Cement / Mortar

Cobbler Dave....

Thanks, I didn't plan to mortar my first course to the oven floor, just the joints behind.

I'll get back to my mortar supplier for manufacturers specs on the curing temperatures of their mortar. If this is too high I'll go with your recipe. If it doesn't cure I'd have an oven held together by gravity, not mortar!

Thanks for the advice
    Last edited by Mike Spear; 03-20-2014, 12:19 AM. Reason: Forgot thank you at end

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Some refractory mortars are designed to harden with firing. Unfortunately the change occurs at a higher temperature than we fire to so they don't work too well. Use the home-brew instead.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day
    A1..... I would be checking with the manufacturer on that mortar. That's not right . I have heard of one member who used a air set material that didnt fair well over the winter months in the wet and cold. You'll find that a lot of members here use a home made refractory cement of 3 sand 1 clay 1 Portland cement 1 lime. You find too hearth floors are usually not mortared together or mortared to the dome to allow for movement.
    A2 the transition between dome is something that takes a bit of effort to do well. You don't have any problems with strength both the dome shape and the arch are some of the strongest building methods.
    All of the this is in the free plans still Ask any question.
    Regards Dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 03-19-2014, 08:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Spear
    started a topic Refractory Cement / Mortar

Refractory Cement / Mortar

Hello all.

This is my first thread on the forum and I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

Now the weather's improving I'm about to resume work on my pizza oven using FB downloaded plans and recycled firebricks from a demolished bakery, great bricks! I built the insulated slab and herring boned the oven floor last Autumn but mothballed everything for the winter.

Q. Will my refractory cement / mortar air dry like normal cement or does it need to be fired to set hard? My firebrick floor mortar still seems a little tacky!

Q. The interface between the dome and the entrance arch seems to be crucial to the strength of the oven. Should one construct dome and arch simultaneously, arch first or dome?

Any help or advice gratefully accepted

Thankyou
Working...
X