Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe for lightweight strong oven base??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe for lightweight strong oven base??

Looking for recipe and ratios to mix vermiculite and concrete for a strong yet lighter oven base for which to put base cooking level brick then build dome oven on top from there.

I've Heard it may be 5 to 1 ratio vermiculite to concrete

Re: Recipe for lightweight strong oven base??

Originally posted by edjc View Post
    Looking for recipe and ratios to mix vermiculite and concrete for a strong yet lighter oven base for which to put base cooking level brick then build dome oven on top from there.

I've Heard it may be 5 to 1 ratio vermiculite to concrete
    You might want to clarify that question with a little more of an explaination of what you plan to build. 5 to 1 vcrete is recomended as an insulation layer for an oven floor. That is, if it is placed on top of a structural layer. It has plenty of "compressive strength", but no "tensil strength".
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf has it right - you can't suspend a "vermicrete" floor on top of a U-shaped base.

Comment

My vision is to Place the vermiculite and concrete Mix the base on this wooden structure. From this base I will layer of my firebrick base and then build up the firebrick dome

Comment

Working...
        X