Canada forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canada forum?

Hi Jer_vic, good to know there is an outdoor oven man on Van Island. I am on the Sunshine Coast BC and would like to talk to you as I am also in the middle of a cast project. I am using a product called Moldit-X for the refractory. Would be interested in what you used in your build and what you plan to use for the castable project. Send me a private message if you are interested in some local materials talk.

Wayne
    Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Comment

ill add my hat to the candian forum.... if i can hold two passports im sure i can double dip in two regions
      Here's my build

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=881d0d101b

Comment

Hello fellow Canadians.
        Started my build a couple days ago and planning to cater a wedding on Aug 11th. I do have a backhoe, some limited masonry experience and a fairly well equipped machine shop, but Is that blindly optimistic? My plan is to pour the pad and bottom tray onto a metal stand on the same day, build the oven in the garage and move it with a loader on to the pad once it has dried. Crazy? not going to work?

Comment

Coasterbouy, my build took alot longer than I had planned, but I didn't have machinery or experience, all my mud was mixed by hand in a barrow, some 16 or so bags for the hearth... Building in the shop would remove the elemental affect which at best is challenging. I have no experience with moving an oven and what cracking damage it could sustain. I was a weekend warrior and had it usable within two and a bit month. So with solid commitment and machinery advantage I'd say giver and you should/could be golden.

Look forward to hearing and seeing photos of the build.
          Best of luck
          Here's my build

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=881d0d101b

Comment

Nice planning with the garage. No weather and you can burn the midnight oil. I started my build this spring and have been rainded out several days. You will have no worries moving your oven with your back hoe. I would recommend a 36 inch. Don't go to fast and let the courses dry and make sure to make the angle cuts for each brick. Cut the sides of each brick and the bottom for the angle. About 1/2 inch on each side and 1/2 inch for the bottom your angles will increase after the 5th or 6th course as the slope increases. You will be happy with using less morter and it will dry much faster than filling the caps with morter. You will defiantly need a indispensable tool.

Comment

Thanks for the tip re cuts. I was planning on loading up the
              morter.... But way more cutting = more bricks, does the FB kit come with enough?If not GTA source for more? I guess I'm going to have to bite the wet saw bullet (did a bunch of slate in the winter with angle grinder was thinking same for fire bricks) I'll do a search for best suited saw on the forum. Form for kitchen pad /oven ready, rebar wire in the AM and concrete truck ETA tommorow before lunch! Tonight burning midnight oil indeed. A pile of steel needs to become a stand with form and rebar by AM. Posting pics, drawings and SW files for all to share here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...tml#post133918

Comment

The angle grinder is absolutely awful for cutting each brick. The dust is crazy and it's takes forever to make a cut. A wet saw cuts like a warm knife through butter !! It's fast, clean cut lines, no dust and generally safe. Remember your working in your garage keep it simple. Have your saw beside your bricks inside your garage. You can work late at night with no rain. If use your grinder you will have to make your cuts outside and keep moving bricks in and out of your garage. Make sure your wet saw can make a deep cut through the bricks, most tile saws don't cut deeper than 3 inches so you will have to flip the brick to complete the cut when you cut ech brick for your arch.
                Last edited by Mr.Buckles; 06-27-2012, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Coasterbuoy, did I read you are using a FB kit? ..you may not have to cut too many bricks .. I used a combo of heatstop 50 [self hardening refractory cement] for the inner inch between bricks and backed up with mortar fill . The dome was one of the faster jobs on my oven. you will want to parge with mortar too , but if your enclosure is not too elaborate [ and you don't have -30 to deal with] you should have time . As has been remarked you can burn the night oil and not lose any time to rain [which I hear you have a lot of this year] ..
                  Give-er
                  tim

Comment

Yes using a Forno Bravo 36" kit. So they send them pre cut. That would be sweet but I suppose it would be difficult for them to do that with so many dome variations..... Looking at the pallet it appears they are not cut. My build + new pics of poured hearth and 16x20 pad are here 36"w/ Steel Stand, 2-3 Week Build - Page 2 - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Calgary Here ...
                      Here is my oven vid
                      YouTube - Pompeii Oven 42" Bread and pizza

Comment

And another!

Comment

In all seriousness, who uses firewood more than Canadians? The city of Victoria has over 100,000 wood chimneys alone.

Comment

I would like to see a Canadian fourm...so count me in eh.
                            Live life like you're dying....without going bankrupt

Comment

I'm In! Anyone else out there from my area?

Comment

Hey Jimney,
                                Where you from in Ont?
                                I'm in the ottawa valley.
                                tim

Comment

Working...
                                X