Pompei build in Thailand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinz:

Do you remember the amount/ratio of sand you were adding to the BST 30AM mortar?

Cheers,
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by SvH View Post
      @ Brian > I have seen your post and photos looks solid! From my understanding you have not build the dome yet? If correct I would like to know if you also will use the 30AM or 30AM(D) like Vince did.
      Did you tested the mortar if it will adhere to the fire bricks? The people from BST did not gave me any real good feedback on the questions I had... I get used to this.... According to the specs the mortar should be around 2 mm and Vince asked questions about this to BST and so did I. The answer I had was different from what they told Vince.... "you can go thicker" not telling how thick, etc.

I really worry about the cement because of the bad experience I had in the past..... So to be sure that the cement is okay do a test before you make the dome in total. Also I really advise you to cover the complete area you made with a roof so no rain can get on the dome and grill. I did this and it really helps A LOT. My future dome I want to build next year will even be with side walls so its really protected against the wet climate here.

If you are using the BST mortar or cement I would like to know why you chose this instead of the Portland home brew.

@ Brian and Vince... you are both not that far away from me... If I can and if you are okay I would like to visit you in the future. Can you share your location so I have an idea where you are in Loei and Roi Et area.

THX,
      Sven
      Hi Sven,

I’m based down in Hua Hin and am about to close my dome. I’ve used BST bricks and wet mortar for my build.

Reading in the other Thai builds I’m a little nervous about the mortar. The mortar has set really strong but as with everyone cracks do appear on joints that are too wide. I’m trying to fill gaps and cracks the best I can a day or two after the appear.

I got my inner arch up with very narrow joints and have cut bricks throughout the courses. The oven seems really quite solid and I’m hoping that the design of a Pompeii oven is my friend and the damn thing holds through the curing process.

Out of interest, we’re you able to source any Fire Clay here as that would be required for the Home Brew mortar. I’m preparing myself for the worst and will be happy to rebuild the oven with Home Brew assuming all the ingredients are available in Thailand.

Cheers.

Danny.

My Build:

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...and#post423032

Comment

Hi Danny,

I did try to work with the wet fire mortar but without success, it cracks....

Which type of bricks did you use?
        Can you share a photo of what you have made so far?

I did build 2 domes already...(Learn by mistakes)
        1. Wet fire mortar
        Did crack and over time the mortar became powder
        2. A mix with wet mortar and portland
        Better result but still cracks

From my understanding is that the fire mortar they sell here is not suitable for low temperature we use to make pizza even when they say so...(people here as you know like to sell things and have no understanding often in technical knowledge)

if your dome is really tight with 2 mm space between the bricks, as BST advice you to do, the dome will hold itself and you might not need mortar.
        Cracks might appear but maybe you can solve that by adding a insulation layer to protect the heat going out?
        For me to cut 2 mm on all edges is a no go....

My plan was or is to build a new dome this year but depending on the current situation as you will understand.
        Important for you is also to build a roof to protect the dome. Weather conditions here are different than in Europe or the US.

This time I will make my own mortar and the biggest problem to find is the right Lime.
        All other ingredients are not a real problem here in Thailand.

You need clay which is everywhere, people use it to make the red bricks here and maybe even your home soil is already clay.
        I did try to source all materials and you need industrial lime not the standard agriculture lime everybody does sell.
        How to know the difference.... test!
        Lime powder, sand and water to mix and let dry. Put it in a small plastic cup.... dry it. When it becomes solid and hard you have the right lime.
        take it out from the cup and see if it holds, it might crack Or break and if you squeeze it might become rough powder but that is correct because you did not add Portland yet. Import is in the cup it needs to be hard and solid.

I might have found the right lime but I did not tested it yet on bricks. Did the test in a cup and it was good but before I tell the source I want to be sure it holds on a brick sample otherwise I am the one that is getting the blame if it does not work....

So when the situation is okay I will start to build the new ground foundation on the other side of my garden. Make a roof and build the dome again.

Anyway, love to help you!
        Questions? Ask!

Comment

Hi Danny,

I did try to work with the wet fire mortar but without success, it cracks....

Which type of bricks did you use?
          Can you share a photo of what you have made so far?

I did build 2 domes already...(Learn by mistakes)
          1. Wet fire mortar
          Did crack and over time the mortar became powder
          2. A mix with wet mortar and portland
          Better result but still cracks

From my understanding is that the fire mortar they sell here is not suitable for low temperature we use to make pizza even when they say so...(people here as you know like to sell things and have no understanding often in technical knowledge)

if your dome is really tight with 2 mm space between the bricks, as BST advice you to do, the dome will hold itself and you might not need mortar.
          Cracks might appear but maybe you can solve that by adding a insulation layer to protect the heat going out?
          For me to cut 2 mm on all edges is a no go....

My plan was or is to build a new dome this year but depending on the current situation as you will understand.
          Important for you is also to build a roof to protect the dome. Weather conditions here are different than in Europe or the US.

This time I will make my own mortar and the biggest problem to find is the right Lime.
          All other ingredients are not a real problem here in Thailand.

You need clay which is everywhere, people use it to make the red bricks here and maybe even your home soil is already clay.
          I did try to source all materials and you need industrial lime not the standard agriculture lime everybody does sell.
          How to know the difference.... test!
          Lime powder, sand and water to mix and let dry. Put it in a small plastic cup.... dry it. When it becomes solid and hard you have the right lime.
          take it out from the cup and see if it holds, it might crack Or break and if you squeeze it might become rough powder but that is correct because you did not add Portland yet. Import is in the cup it needs to be hard and solid.

I might have found the right lime but I did not tested it yet on bricks. Did the test in a cup and it was good but before I tell the source I want to be sure it holds on a brick sample otherwise I am the one that is getting the blame if it does not work....

So when the situation is okay I will start to build the new ground foundation on the other side of my garden. Make a roof and build the dome again.

Anyway, love to help you!
          Questions? Ask!
          hi,

thanks for yr lengthy response.

here is my build thread:

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-dome-thailand

As you said, the 2mm joints have not been possible as the courses go up. I’ve tried to cut the bricks to create as tight a fit as my skills will allow, I got better at this the further I got but I’d say the success of the oven is 50/50 based on how most other builds have ended in Thailand.

About to plug the dome before moving on with the vent and chimney. It’s been around a month of hard work up until now so I’ll be gutted if the oven fails.

If it does indeed fail then I’ll strip it down and start again but will try to source the home brew materials before moving forward. Shame thy there is no real failure test until all the work has been done.

thanks,

Danny.

My Build:

Comment

Hi Danny,

I am not sure if it does or doesn't work for you.... but for me... I did build 2 domes already and it did fail after 1 year using.
            Hard lesson to learn I know!

The homebrew Lime is the hard part. If you can find that also let me know.
            I can send you a sample of the lime I have if you want... so you can test it on 2 bricks if it does adhere.
            Just pay for the shipping costs. If it works I can provide the lime I have in stock because I have enough.
            (I also use this lime for products I make at my work)

Just keep me posted and let me know.

THX
            Sven

Comment

Hi Danny,

I am not sure if it does or doesn't work for you.... but for me... I did build 2 domes already and it did fail after 1 year using.
              Hard lesson to learn I know!

The homebrew Lime is the hard part. If you can find that also let me know.
              I can send you a sample of the lime I have if you want... so you can test it on 2 bricks if it does adhere.
              Just pay for the shipping costs. If it works I can provide the lime I have in stock because I have enough.
              (I also use this lime for products I make at my work)

Just keep me posted and let me know.

THX
              Sven
              Hi Sven,

yes I’d be happy to pay the postage costs for a lime sample. I guess I can send you a private message to exchange details there.

during my initial research phase for materials I gave up on the home brew idea even before I got to the lime as my search for ‘fire clay’ came up blank. Seems that you think (and I read yesterday from DavidS) that regular clay would work in the home brew? This is encouraging news if so as combine with you potential lime source the home brew is indeed doable here.

My boy tapped the dome key stone in today and now claims that the oven is his as he placed the last stone. In that case if ‘his’ oven does fail then he has one hell of a job in dismantling it ready for the re-build .
              My Build:

Comment

Hi Danny,

Yes, you can use the cheapest clay you can find. Go to a local garden center, many of them make their own stones behind their shop or they know someone.
                The red bricks people use to build a house is also local red clay. If you know people in the community around you, it should be possible to find. The problem might be communications but you need to push your wife or friend a little in the right direction ;-)

Comment

Hi Danny,

Yes, you can use the cheapest clay you can find. Go to a local garden center, many of them make their own stones behind their shop or they know someone.
                  The red bricks people use to build a house is also local red clay. If you know people in the community around you, it should be possible to find. The problem might be communications but you need to push your wife or friend a little in the right direction ;-)
                  Okay got it. Thanks.

Also just seems your message and I have provided my address.

Thanks.
                  My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by danhem View Post

Okay got it. Thanks.

Also just seems your message and I have provided my address.

Thanks.
                    Hi Sven,

just wondering if you had seen the private message I sent you?

cheers,

Danny.
                    My Build:

Comment

SvH what recipe were you using for homebrew? Where did you source your materials?

Where did you source your wood?

Thanks,

Comment

TxGR source of materials.... sand is easy, any local shop where you also can buy your portland cement. Clay from lazada of shopee just search. Lime I have in bags of 25 kg as I use this for the work I do in Thailand. You can send me a private message for more info.

Comment

Couple more illustrations on the next phase of work of adding granite worktop around the oven

Comment

Working...
                          X