Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AZ Piazzalos Unite

Hey AZ Gang

How many of us are out there? I know of myself and three others plus a few ex-AZ'ers. Pipe up and lets hear from all. Maybe we can start sourcing the really good stuff (flour and such.)

Thoughts??
    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Re: AZ Piazzalos Unite

Hello C5dad,

We've traded emails before, as a reminder, I'm in Glendale.

The power of any group is in their numbers. Maybe we can join together to make bulk purchases of flour, seasoned wood, etc. to get reasonable prices. Have you priced 00 flour and imported canned tomatoes? Yikes ! Maybe we can share sources and alternative brands that provide good results too.

Cheers,

Bob
    Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Hey Bob,

I am looking about for sources. It is all way too expensive. I am hoping to start sourcing tomorrow.

As for wood, The ranger at the Cave Creek station told me this AM that driftwood at Bartlett and Horseshoe reservoirs is free - not sure what it is, though probably juniper or mesquite. I will be up there on Friday. To collect wood, you just need to check in with them (Forrest Service). I am also looking to get a chainsaw and permit from the Globe station for wood - $25 for 4 cords chopped. They even have designated areas where standing and fallen wood can be taken.

Lastly, I found a source of wood on Craigslist earlier today - $90 for a 1/2 cord delivered - mesquite, etc. Probably can get the guy to mix oak and mesquite together - a much better deal than having to get the chainsaw - though I have been needing one for a while

Let me know of the sources you have found.

Chris

Comment

For the Caputto flour, DeFalcos in Scottsdale supposedly has it. I will be swinging by tomorrow and will check for sure. Shamrock foods also distributes, but will not sell directly to us little folks. I will try to see if there is a pizza place that is willing to part with a bag, though will not hold my breath!

Comment

Hi Chris,

Check your private messages.

I'll be searching for small mills that produce flours for artisan bakers. I'll let you know what I find.

Cheers,
          Bob

Comment

I am in the Phoenix area. Berry Brothers Firewood rocks. Talk to Thomas. Tell him the I sent you. He is a great person, awesome company. As for food products, let me know what you are all looking for. I currently am bringing in some small mill stuff in from Utah. I also stock Guistos and a few other flour brands. I also stock a full line of Polly-O cheese, Gioia cheese, domestic/imported products including meats. Feel free to call me. 602.697.8967. Lets all get together and throw down!!! Where do you all eat in phx!?

Jason
            Last edited by Jraducha; 12-13-2010, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Jason,

Thanks for the heads up on Berry Bro's - I totally forgot about them - Used to go by their place when I worked in Phx every day - guess having a mid-life brain.

Also glad to hear about supplies. Will need to chat with you in a few weeks.

A throwdown would be fun. Got to give us newbies a chance to work on our dough recipies - my current dough is whole wheat/white mix designed for low temp cooking.

Where to do the throwdown?

Comment

C5dad, Jason,

I searched for sources of bulk flour and found a couple places in the valley.

First is Sam's Club. They have a commercial high gluten flour with dough improver. A search of the Costo site didn't show anything for "flour" although I shop their often and will check further then.

Next is Honeyville located in Chandler. MANY varieties and package sizes to choose from and some are recommended for pizza crust. On-line sales from Honeyville feature $4.49 shipping for any amount. Pizza flour runs < $1.00 lb. in 50lb sacks. Check out their discount coupons.

Hodgson Mills. Mail order.

King Arthur has flour available by mail order. I didn't think their package sizes and prices were attractive in view of their competitors offerings.

Eagle Mills has a variety of flours including an Ultra-Grain product for those who want a healthy alternative to regular flour. Mail order.

Bob's Red Mill bread flour is on special at Sprouts. Two five pound bags for $5.00

It wasn't difficult to find suppliers of specialty flour. Most sold high gluten, high protein flour in large and small size packages.

Tomato products are easily obtainable so I won't search for them. Cheese is easily obtainable and many folks have preferences for a favorite brand. Buffalo cheese is hit & miss at some markets so I'll look into a supplier for that. Lately I've been adding a little provalone cheese to my pizza. I like the hearty flavor it adds.

I'll drive over to the Honeyville store and buy some of their high gluten flour recommended for pizza. They are just east of I-10 on Chandler Blvd.

Jason, I like Rock Bottom restaurant. Several locations in the valley. Good food and great beer.

Cheers,

Bob
                Bob

Comment

Sorry for the sort of related Question. What was the name of the mill in Utah?

Derk

Comment

I am going to ask if he wants his name released in an open forum, if not, Ill PM it to you.

Comment

Hello jraducha,

Do you have a store location? Where can I purchase the interesting items that you listed?

Cheers,
                      Bob

Comment

Jason,

I too am interested if you have a store. As for the mill - please PM me as I am still playing with my home flour mixes for now.

May the Pizza be with you

Comment

I do not have a store. I am a food wholesaler. I sell to restaurants. I would be more then happy to help you all out.

Comment

Jason,

I would like to catch up with you. Proabably should PM me to take this off line.

Bob,

How was the flour from Honeyville?

We should all ( The Arizona Pizza Society) try to have a get-together someplace downtown - I hear there is a brick oven pizza place that was on Food Network:

Pizzeria Bianco
                            623 E. Adams St.
                            Phoenix, AZ 85004
                            (602) 258-8300
                            Pizzeria Bianco
                            Last edited by C5dad; 12-19-2010, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Hi Chris,

Yes, Pizzeria Bianco is highly rated. Wait times up to two hours attest to that.

I didn't get to Honeyville for flour like I said I would. It is still on my list though.

Here is a heads-up......Fry's (Kroger in Az.) has flour 5lbs for $1.49 and 3-pack of yeast for $1.00. Wow, what a deal.

Cheers,
                              Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X