Homemade Rosemary Crackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Rosemary Crackers

I found this recipe over on Chowhound a few months ago, and haven't bought crackers since. The recipe is so simple, so completely delicious. The crackers are easy to make days ahead of time, and would be a fabulous appetizer to set out while people are waiting for pizzas.

Rosemary Crackers
    from krissywats on chowhound.com's Home Cooking board

2 Cups flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2/3 Cup warm water
    1/3 cup olive oil

Preheat to 400. Lightly grease two large cookie sheets (I use spray). Combine flour, baking powder and salt (I use a little extra of kosher or sea salt). Stir in water, oil and mix until a smooth dough forms. Halve dough and flatten to edges on each cookie sheet (this is the only part that takes a little time - a small rolling pin would be great but I use my fingers and love the uneven texture of them). Cut them on the sheet before baking (I use a pizza cutter).

If you want you can do an egg wash of one egg white and 2T water brush the tops and sprinkle on sesame seeds.

I typically throw in a bunch of chopped rosemary and occasionally a sprinkle of garlic powder or two. You could really do anything you wanted with these: onion powder, cayenne, other herbs and spices.

They are a simple cracker but seriously addictive and always a big hit. Once I topped with goat cheese and honey and served as an appetizer.
    Nikki

Re: Homemade Rosemary Crackers

Thanks, I will give them a try.

Comment

We tried this tonight, altered it a bit 50/50 whole wheat, three batches, one with parmeasan cheese, one with kosher salt, one with garlic salt. Simple and delightful!

THANKS!

Malinda
      Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Whoops--I forgot to write that they'll typically cook for about 10-12 minutes. Watch for golden and crispy. Glad you liked the recipe as much as I do! Parmesan is one of my favorite variations, too.
        Nikki

Comment

Tried these tonight - they're excellent!!
          Picasa web album
          Oven-building thread

Comment

Did you make these in your WFO or conventional?
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

Just a conventional oven this time, but I'll have to experiment with them in the WFO. They took about 14-18 minutes in my gas convection oven at 400 degrees.
              Picasa web album
              Oven-building thread

Comment

This sounds really great - any pics available? I am having difficulty visualising the shaping and cutting process.

Also, do you add Rosemary to the dough? This wasn't mentioned in the ingredients list.

Tks - very keen to try this one...

Rossco
                / Rossco

Comment

Yep, add the chopped rosemary right into the dough. You can sprinkle parmesan or salt on top after spreading it out if you want to. The dough gets spread pretty thin (probably around 1/16-3/32 of an inch), but it won't stick to your fingers.
                  Picasa web album
                  Oven-building thread

Comment

Thanks - makes sense now!!

Rossco
                    / Rossco

Comment

You can add it to the dough or sprinkle it on top, both work. I wrote up the recipe as a suite101 article and have one picture there. I'll add photos of the process next time I make them.
                      Nikki

Comment

Much appreciated Nikki - I am realy keen to try this one.... thanks again for sharing the info.

Rossco
                        / Rossco

Comment

We made a batch of these last night with parmesan and fresh rosemary. I think we could have rolled it out thinner on the cookie sheets, as they took a bit longer to cook, but they turned out nicely. Good recipe. Thanks.

Comment

I just cranked out four batches of these with assorted flavorings for my big party on Saturday. I figured they'd be a lighter alternative to foccacia to go with the house-sized bowl of artichoke dip I have prepped and ready for WFO.
                            Anyway, the crackers are delicious and so easy I think my dog could make them if he had thumbs. Hopefully there will be some left for Saturday...I can't stop nibbling on them.

I made a couple of batches with 1/2 whole wheat flour and they're as good or better as all white flour. I'd imagine rye would be delish as well.
                            Thanks ever so much for the recipe hookup!

Comment

Sounds amazing ... any pics???

Rossco
                              / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                              X