• PaulB
    replied
    Re: Homemade Rosemary Crackers

Good ideas. Thanks a lot.

Leave a comment:

• splatgirl
    replied

IME they are never the texture you'd expect from a box cracker, but that is what makes them so good. If you want them thinner, try dividing the dough into smaller portions to roll out. Also let it relax for a few minutes if it starts to fight you. I do it on a big sheet of parchment on the counter and then transfer the whole thing to a sheet pan. One batch of dough should completely cover a half sheet pan, IIRC (I make them by the double or triple batch) I like them rolled a little thinner than what you've got, but still with some heft--the better to hold up a big glob of artichoke dip with!
    You can also try baking them longer at a lower temp to get a crispier texture without burning.

Leave a comment:

• PaulB
    replied

I made these crackers but I'm not sure they turned out right. I tried my best to roll them as thin as I could before putting them in the oven. After baking them, they seemed to puff up thicker than I expected. See photo. Is my result the way they are supposed to be? I think the thickness made them more doughy than I expected. They were cooked through but just not as light as I hoped.

Leave a comment:

• heliman
    replied

Sounds amazing ... any pics???

Rossco

Leave a comment:

• splatgirl
    replied

I just cranked out four batches of these with assorted flavorings for my big party on Saturday. I figured they'd be a lighter alternative to foccacia to go with the house-sized bowl of artichoke dip I have prepped and ready for WFO.
    Anyway, the crackers are delicious and so easy I think my dog could make them if he had thumbs. Hopefully there will be some left for Saturday...I can't stop nibbling on them.

I made a couple of batches with 1/2 whole wheat flour and they're as good or better as all white flour. I'd imagine rye would be delish as well.
    Thanks ever so much for the recipe hookup!

Leave a comment:

• papavino
    replied

We made a batch of these last night with parmesan and fresh rosemary. I think we could have rolled it out thinner on the cookie sheets, as they took a bit longer to cook, but they turned out nicely. Good recipe. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• heliman
    replied

Much appreciated Nikki - I am realy keen to try this one.... thanks again for sharing the info.

Rossco

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

You can add it to the dough or sprinkle it on top, both work. I wrote up the recipe as a suite101 article and have one picture there. I'll add photos of the process next time I make them.

Leave a comment:

• heliman
    replied

Thanks - makes sense now!!

Rossco

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Yep, add the chopped rosemary right into the dough. You can sprinkle parmesan or salt on top after spreading it out if you want to. The dough gets spread pretty thin (probably around 1/16-3/32 of an inch), but it won't stick to your fingers.

Leave a comment:

• heliman
    replied

This sounds really great - any pics available? I am having difficulty visualising the shaping and cutting process.

Also, do you add Rosemary to the dough? This wasn't mentioned in the ingredients list.

Tks - very keen to try this one...

Rossco

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Just a conventional oven this time, but I'll have to experiment with them in the WFO. They took about 14-18 minutes in my gas convection oven at 400 degrees.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Did you make these in your WFO or conventional?

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Tried these tonight - they're excellent!!

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

Whoops--I forgot to write that they'll typically cook for about 10-12 minutes. Watch for golden and crispy. Glad you liked the recipe as much as I do! Parmesan is one of my favorite variations, too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X