X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tscarborough
    replied
    Re: Pizza Time!

Personally, I do not like char, nor does the family. It does seem to be de rigueur, though, among the pizza crowd. Luckily, I cook for me not them....

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

Hi everyone, would like your opinion about this: Is charing around edge of the crust a good or bad thing? I get mixed reviews about that, so I'm a little baffled.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Hello fellow Austinite! Good luck with your party!

Leave a comment:

• PizzeriaMelito
    replied

Just joined this forum and I'm glad to be a part of the small community of pizza aficionados! After years of tolerating mediocre pizza in the Austin area, I finally decided to spend some time researching the correct way to make pizza. First making my own dough with baker's yeast and then moving on to sourdough cultures. Experimenting with techniques in the oven, various pizza stones, etc. I've finally graduated to brick oven cooking with the purchase of the small Primavera oven and I love it. Although we've had big pizza parties in the past, this Saturday's promises to be an even bigger one since it'll be the grand unveiling of pizza oven. (FYI, I've been practicing for many weeks so it won't be a cold start). We plan on having several dozen folks come over and I hope to prepare as many as 30 pizzas! One favorite that I've gotten great feedback on is a white sauce pizza with pancetta, shrimp and pepperocini. It's a sort of Italian spin on the classic bacon-wrapped shrimp and jalapeno. Looking forward to inspiration, tips, advice and insight through everyone here!

Leave a comment:

• Gryf
    replied

That you Liz? Ha! I gotta make it down your way one of these days.

I close this week on a house with a WFO. Doing my homework to make sure I enjoy the amenities.

You and the family have to stop in when you're up my way.

Leave a comment:

• SteveP
    replied

I am drooling just looking at these pics; they all look delicious. I will be cooking quite a bit this weekend in the south FL 95F heat and who knows what humidity levels. Unless it is pouring outside, I use my oven year round. I just have to use sunblock so the back of my neck doesn't burn.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

The last 2 were pit pizzas, using up all the remaining ingredients.

I held one of the pit pizzas back to take to work, and it was still very good, even out of the microwave, on Monday. Usually, I will re-heat any leftovers in the oven the next day for breakfast, and they taste like just made.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

These are last Saturday's pies.
    I started with a pepperoni for my youngest and her friend (no pic), then made a margherita. Sorry for the crappy pic, I forgot that I had the flash off.

Next I tried an enchilada pizza, but it was a fail and I threw it away. I used canned enchilada sauce and tomatillo sauce and they both sucked. Next time I will make my own of both. I have high expectations for the pizza if done right.

This is a muffelata pizza, it was very good. Fresh Oaxaca cheese, Genoa salami, ham, onions, green olives, and red and green bellpepper. I forgot the celery, though.

Next I did one like the little old ladies in that bread making video, mixing up the sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, genoa salami, onions, tomatos, and a little poblano pepper. It was very good too.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

The last was the best, and is also the closest I will get to deep dish.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I tried some more Mexican ingredients last night, Hot Chorizo, Panela (which was more like Jack than ricotta), and poblano. Plus the obligatory Margarita for CIC-House.

Leave a comment:

• Jet_deck
    replied

Thanks for the run down on the Mexican Cheese. I have used the HEB fresh mozz, but was afraid to start on the so many different Mexican varieties.

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

I agree! Italian cheeses have some excellent parallels in Mexican cheese and the Mex cheeses can be quite good. I have played with the following cheeses

Crema - Much like Creme Fraische or sour cream.
    Queso Fresco - Kind of like a mild feta
    Panela - Sort of like ricotta
    Oaxaca - Kind of like Mozz
    Anejo - Like romano
    Cotija - Sort of like Parme

These would be good to consider for developing ethnic Texas pizzas!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

It was plenty hot, hickory wood hot. You should try that HEB Queso Fresca. As you can see, it did not burn much (on the left on the first, and all over the second) although it melted down and crisped up and was very good. Cheap too!

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

Hi TS!

It is clear your oven was hot and that is a critical component in great pizza. Looks good!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I made 3 like the first pic and the second pic is MY pizza.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X