Terracotta bakeware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terracotta bakeware

I notice that FB sells some Italian terracotta bakeware and highly recommend it for your wood fired oven if you're going to bake or slow cook in it.

Yesterday I was searching ceramics shops in Gata and ran across a pile of rustic terracotta dishes. They were obviously hand made and had a rough texture to them. There were in three very dusty piles, with each piece separated by cardboard. We bought 6 pieces!!

They are heavy and guaranteed for wood fired ovens. My favorite are the oval ones which have a pouring spout on one end and a clay chunk handle at the other end....allows you to drain off the fat and juices!

The round flat one is interesting. I thought it might be fun for a pizza server. It's glazed....could it be a pizza stone? My pizza stone is unglazed....have you found glazed pizza stones?

Now comes the cooking test....
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Terracotta bakeware

Hey Jim,

I think you are going to really enjoy your bakeware -- there is something special about terracotta in a wood-fired oven. I think it has something to do with the way terracotta makes a moist, gentle heat.

I've read that soaking your bakeware for an hour before you cook with it the first time helps cure it and minimized cracking.

Enjoy.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I'll try the soaking.

Comment

By the way James, I was in one of the local ceramics stores and there was a sign above the terracotta bakeware recommending soaking for 24 hours before using (the first time?). So that's what I did with the new stuff. Can't oversoak it I guess!

Comment

Working...
        X