X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DavidApp
    replied
    Hello Alden
    I borrowed a hydraulic log splitter. I think it was rated to 20 ton. It had no problems with anything I put in it including some Sweet Gum. I would usually not bother with Sweet Gum as it is very difficult to split with twisted and interlocked grain. It would have to cut all the way through the log instead of splitting it but it got through it.
    It was not a top of the line log splitter.

I normally use a maul to split Oak.

David

Leave a comment:

• Alden03
    replied
    Hii all ,

I always find it frustrating looking of people using new splitter designs though. I have no problems splitting the nice straight grained short pieces they always demo on. I really want to know how these things handle in the real world, where your logs have twists and knots. Our fires take 18" to 22" logs too, not those short little 12" things. Fewer saw cuts and they are easier to stack too.

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied
    Re: Wood Splitter

Just scored some more fire wood.

Driving home I noticed a cut up tree outside a house. Stopped and asked about it and they said if I wanted it to please take it. So I got my truck and started to haul it home. 5 loads so far and possible 2 more.
    White oak.

David

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

Hello Wiley

Went back today to get the last two logs. Someone had got one of them before I got there so I only got one.
    That one had the most knots, probable why they left it.

This type of log score is not common for me so buying a log splitter will probable not be something that I will do right now. Renting is a better option and I may put one of the logs on my Wood Mizer Sawmill as it looks like a nice white oak. The slabs off the log still burn great.
    I find that red oak splits easier with a maul. White oak can be tough.

The maul gives you a good work out if your back will stand it.

David

Leave a comment:

• Wiley
    replied

David,

Good score on the wood!

I would suggest that the answer as to purchasing a splitter would be determined by asking is this a one time occurrence or something that will occur several times a year?

If it is a one time occurrence: I would rent.

If it is something that looks like it will happen once every year on a ongoing basis: then I would still rent.

Something ongoing (as in several times a year): then certainly I would purchase a splitter.

All that being said, having tools is cool and fun and so if you can afford a splitter and want one, then get one. (I knew a guy once who bought a riding lawn mower and he had a residential sized yard. He wanted the mower and could afford it so he bought it. No further justification needed).

Hope this helps,
    Wiley

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

Hello All

I may need to get a wood splitter. I have just scored a couple of loads of Oak. Some of it is about 30" diameter,

David

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

In Australia our hardwoods are all eucalypts and most of it is quite hard to split, some extremely so. I find simply cutting the lengths shorter, say less than a foot, makes splitting far easier.

Leave a comment:

• Paul_H
    replied

It depends on how much wood you have to split. At most I've had a 1/2 cord to split at a time and hence I've found a mall to work fine as our spruce and birch is fairly easy to split except when you get into spruce with lots of limbs. For kindling I just use an axe.

If you're just splitting up larger pieces for the WFO I can't see going to the expense of a wood splitter. Also if you have a chainsaw you can cut up the occasional large piece. You can also use a chainsaw to cut an X in the end of the log to give the mall or wedge a starting place and it makes it much easier to split.

Leave a comment:

• Wiley
    replied

We burn wood both in our WFO and to heat our home so we go thru a fair bit of wood each year. Three neighbors and I went together and purchased a much more expensive and better splitter than any of us could otherwise justify. Of course it is towable.

As we own it we can basically take as much time as we want splitting wood rather than being under a time constraint using a rental unit. Maintenance has been low as it has a quality Honda motor and one of us in our group has spare space in his garage so it is stored indoors.

If you have neighbors also burning wood this might be a worth considering.

Hope this helps,
    Wiley

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

I still use an old Maul. Works best on Red Oak.

Most of the wood in the pile for the wood stove but the oven will be well have plenty.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day steellearning
    That's a pretty" cool tool " I would really like one of those. I'm pretty much a one armed axe man due to an old injury. That would produce the sticks id like ( with or without the dramatic music "
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Steellearning
    replied

I thought this was pretty cool... for kindling
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro2wMb7zJ60

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

wow! I need one of those!!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

You don't want to mess around splitting wood - get one of these and make us ALL jealous https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0-1Rx1NNDY

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Hi, we have been using electric log splitters for years. We bought the first one from lowes. The splitter worked well until I loaned it to a friend and it came back with a bent rail. I was unable to get the replacement part from the manufacturer and lowes refunded my money. I will put a link to our current splitter at the end of the post. This splitter lets me work from my wheelchair. It stores easily and takes little space in the vertical position. Bruce

http://www.amazon.com/Powerhouse-XM-...XX4K64TWVTH47N

Leave a comment:

Working...
X