First Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Food

Started as the final curing fire to bring the oven to 800*, but we couldn't resist. I didn't have any pizza dough, so I raided the 'fridge and came up with some tortillas, cheese, and a left-over-from-super-bowl hot link. Primative, but we were excited.
    Just after the oven started to turn white, I raked the coals to one side. My son Kyle slid the first one in with the wooden peel and spilled it on the floor. Whoops! The second one was better but we determined that the floor wasn't hot enough(crispy edges, soggy middle). I moved the fire to the other side, slid the third tortilla in where the fire was and it was much better.
    Took some pics, but for whatever reason, our camera takes blurry pictures at night. When in doubt, blame the camera.

dusty

Re: First Food

its a good feeling, isn't it? Congrats!!!

RT

Comment

Way to go Dusty. I'm not sure that tortilla is dead. From the looks of the pic, it looks like it's still moving
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Great work.

Time for pizza this weekend Dustman!

Go get one of those cheap bread makers from walmart.
        They do a pretty good job of mixing and kneading the dough.
        Just set it to dough only.

Congrats my friend!

Dave
        My thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
        My costs:
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
        My pics:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Awesome! The first cook is the most exciting (and usually the most creative... Super Bowl leftovers )

We dumped a pizza all over our oven floor back in January. After about 10 minutes it dawned on me that these ovens are self-cleaning .
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
            ...After about 10 minutes it dawned on me that these ovens are self-cleaning .
            You cook hotter than the self-clean cycle on your conventional oven. How cool is that.
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Congratulations Dusty, Make up a batch of dough tonight and celebrate with many pizzas!! Can't wait to follow you success in making the perfect pizza.
              RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
              Oven Thread

Comment

I just love your keystone! A little more light and the auto focus might lock in.
                Nice job.

--mr.jim
                --mr.jim
                ---------------------------------------------------------------
                The real art of conversation is not only to say the correct thing at the right time, but also to leave
                unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks guys! I know it wasn't much, but it was still cool. I was going to try pizza this weekend, but the wife went wine tasting/shopping in Napa on one of those "all girl" weekends. Figured she wouldn't appriciate us trying the cerimonial first pizza without her. I think I will attemt making dough on Tuesday and fire up the oven again on Wednesday.
                  Dave, We have one of those bread machines around here somewhere but haven't used it in years. I seem to remember the kids not being able to get used to round bread. Do you just throw everything in there and push start? 'Cause if it does all the work, and works good, then I am going to find it!
                  And thanks for the auto focus tip mr. jim. That makes sense. I though it was more than a coincidence that my daytime pics were fine but the nighttime ones were blurry. I will try adding more light.
                  Did you hear that George? Too dark! Told you it was dead!

I will try turning on my work light and keep you guys posted on Wednesday.

dusty

Comment

Funny... I had to dig mine out two.
                    Was in the shed or attic.. can't remember.

But yeah just throw everything in and let it go.

But I do take the dough out when the mixing stops.
                    I don't like it to heat up to help the dough rise.
                    I like to let the yeast take it's time... improves flavor!

Dave
                    My thread:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                    My costs:
                    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                    My pics:
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

I know right where mine is. In the barn, and there it will stay. I still like putting my hands on the dough and giving it a good kneed after the Kitchenaid is done with it. Theraputic somehow.

Dusty, you know I was just kidding you bud. I take a heck of a lot worse pics than your moving tortilla. Check out my bread pic a few pages back on my thread. Photo editing made it worse, then posting it made it even worse. Somewhere, somebody told me the Jpeg format reduces the clarity/resolution of the photo each time you save it as a different file, send it to someone, or post it. I believe it.

Can't wait to see your first planned bake pics.

G.
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
                        But I do take the dough out when the mixing stops.
                        Hot tip. I'm on that. Tomorrow evening for sure. I'll let you know.

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                          Dusty, you know I was just kidding you bud.

Can't wait to see your first planned bake pics.
                          G.
                          Of course I knew. And a dam good joke at that. I laughed for five minutes. If a fella can't joke about that photo, he needs to lighten way up.

I'll hopefully post some pics Wed. or thurs. I'll try more light and see if that works. But be warned... even if they are shitty, I'm still posting them! I am just not that proud.

dusty

Comment

Cool Dusty!

The first cook up is special, doesn't really matter what you put in there...

Come to think of it, a lot of my pizzas are still moving when I take them out. At least now I know what's happening, I always thought it was the camera's fault...

And now you're going to get lots of practice for the 23rd, right?
                            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                              Cool Dusty!
                              And now you're going to get lots of practice for the 23rd, right?
                              Right! I just finished kneading my first batch of dough. I put it into a lightly greased bowl, covered it, and am now waiting 90 minutes to allow it to hopefully double in size. My plan is to fire the oven up tommorow and bake the cerimonial "first pizza"! My original target date was valentines day - looks like I'm gunna make it.
                              By the 23rd I should have some idea what I'm doing. But even if I don't, I'm going for it! Got about 20-25 coming so far.

Are you still in Acoma? Telehort?

dusty

Comment

Working...
                              X