Le Creuset pot with a brass knob on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Le Creuset pot with a brass knob on

I thought I read something about this before, but can I find it now??

My brother gave me a beautiful Le Creuset iron pot for Christmas, one of those with a plastic knob on the lid which is good up to ... oh about 190 C it said. What a silly idea for such an otherwise wonderful cooking pot!

So I dunno if this is a really obvious thing that everyone's already thought of, or if it'll end up not working out (ok so far ...)

But now it has a nice brass furniture knob on it. Should give me a few more degrees to cook with. Looks a lot better, too
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Re: Le Creuset pot with a brass knob on

Frances,

Good call. I have several of these pots with the crummy knobs. Doh, I've been unscrewing the knobs when I use them in the WFO. Light bulb . Got a box full of antique knobs in the shop--well, somewhere in there. Thanks.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Cool!

I was wondering whether or not to post this, and then when I got really bored this afternoon... I'm glad I did now

Antique knobs... nice. Now where can I get some of those?
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I'm sure they're not as pretty as antique knobs, but I use EYE NUTS on my pot lids. That way I can pull the pot out of the oven and lift off the lid with my poker (with a bent end) to check on the cooking. Otherwise I have to head off to the garage to find the welding gloves - my wife has refused permission to use her hot mitts from the kitchen for the WFO

I got them from McMaster Carr Inc, P/N 3112T31, ~$4 USD, and put them on with a steel 1/4-20 bolt.

Chuck

Comment

Yeah, you can BUY a stainless steel replacement knob for $10! I have the big dutch oven and discovered very quickly that black phenolic knob melts. Try scrubbing off that goo.
          My guess is the haughty French intended the heat limit to a 60 watt easy bake oven bulb.

Comment

Great thread. I never would have thought of replacing the knob (brilliant idea), and I gave up on Le Creuset and bought an enamelled cast iron pan from Ikea.

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Question,
              I'm feeling left out
              What are you all cooking in this pot with a lousy handle? Stew/soups/casseroles?

Thanks!
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

George,

I have two LeC pots, one six quart round, on twelve quart oval monster. It used to be that these expensive French pots were the only quality enamel over cast iron ones out there. Despite the crummy knobs, pots of this type can't be beat for braising, soups, stews, etc., especially if you want low, slow, even heat. These days, though, there are other makers just as good, minus the lousy knobs. The ones from Ikea are very good indeed, for much less money.

Jim

Comment

Enamelled cast iron gets my vote. These pans are great for casseroles. The biggest downside with LeC pots is their price. They are a big international brand, and they definitely get their pound of flesh.

James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I used my old aluminum pot for a whole chicken last Saturday. Along doing some Naan bread for the first time - it came out great! Next time I try it I'm going to substitute a 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of yogurt for the milk.

Comment

OK, I'm sold. I thought my FB terra cotta casserole dishes would get me through, but obviously, I'm just a babe in the woods. 12 quarts? That's a wading pool! I'll start searching.

Thanks for enlightening me.
                      G.
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Chuck, the chicken and Naan look great! My wife has several of the La Creuset pots in different sizes. Looks like I'll be investing in some stainless replacements.....

I forget who started this thread but GREAT POST!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckster View Post
                          ... Along doing some Naan bread for the first time - it came out great! Next time I try it I'm going to substitute a 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of yogurt for the milk.
                          How did you bake the naan? On the floor, walls, etc.? I have real trouble with this one. Help.
                          James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James:

I do naan directly over the hearth, when using the WFO.
                            Or, more easy, over a hot heavy iron sheet heated directly on the furnace of the stove.
                            This never fails.

Luis

Comment

James,

I agree with Luis. Naan dough is a bit on the stretchy side (I normally use yogurt rather than milk), so I just throw (literally) them on the hot hearth. They'll puff up in about a minute. Soon as they're puffed and lightly browned, they're done. Pile them on top of each other when they come out. They'll deflate from the weight, but once cool, the pockets will remain.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X