X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gjbingham
    replied
    Re: Le Creuset pot with a brass knob on

Naan has to be one of my favorite flat breads. Makes me hungry just thinking about baking it, especially dipped in curry sauce. Another is the Mexican bread used to make Carne Asada Tortas. I believe the bread is laden with lard, but it is to die for with all that yummy meat and spices on it. Always my first choice if I can find it on a menu! I have no idea how to make it. Anyone know???
    G.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

James,

Here's a link to the Naan formula I've used for a long time:
    King Arthur Flour: Recipes.

Traditionally, they're rolled out into a teardrop shape.

When I make them, I use a pretty hot hearth, in the 600 F range, although you could go higher if you're feeling nimble.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• chuckster
    replied

I just cooked them on the hearth. I guess the temperature was about 450-500 Deg C - with a small pile of embers in the back. That's the first I ever made Naan. I rolled them out on the back of a 14" pizza tray - is that the best or should I just form them by hand?

BTW: I brushed them with a bit of melted butter on the way from the hearth to the pile.
    Chuck

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

How hot is the oven and how sticky/hydrated is the dough? This almost sounds more like pizza than bread. Maybe that's why my naan always come out too bready.
    James
    Last edited by james; 02-20-2008, 01:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

James,

I agree with Luis. Naan dough is a bit on the stretchy side (I normally use yogurt rather than milk), so I just throw (literally) them on the hot hearth. They'll puff up in about a minute. Soon as they're puffed and lightly browned, they're done. Pile them on top of each other when they come out. They'll deflate from the weight, but once cool, the pockets will remain.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• arevalo53anos
    replied

James:

I do naan directly over the hearth, when using the WFO.
    Or, more easy, over a hot heavy iron sheet heated directly on the furnace of the stove.
    This never fails.

Luis

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Originally posted by chuckster View Post
    ... Along doing some Naan bread for the first time - it came out great! Next time I try it I'm going to substitute a 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of yogurt for the milk.
    How did you bake the naan? On the floor, walls, etc.? I have real trouble with this one. Help.
    James

Leave a comment:

• ballard6449
    replied

Chuck, the chicken and Naan look great! My wife has several of the La Creuset pots in different sizes. Looks like I'll be investing in some stainless replacements.....

I forget who started this thread but GREAT POST!!!

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

OK, I'm sold. I thought my FB terra cotta casserole dishes would get me through, but obviously, I'm just a babe in the woods. 12 quarts? That's a wading pool! I'll start searching.

Thanks for enlightening me.
    G.

Leave a comment:

• chuckster
    replied

I used my old aluminum pot for a whole chicken last Saturday. Along doing some Naan bread for the first time - it came out great! Next time I try it I'm going to substitute a 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of yogurt for the milk.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Enamelled cast iron gets my vote. These pans are great for casseroles. The biggest downside with LeC pots is their price. They are a big international brand, and they definitely get their pound of flesh.

James

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

George,

I have two LeC pots, one six quart round, on twelve quart oval monster. It used to be that these expensive French pots were the only quality enamel over cast iron ones out there. Despite the crummy knobs, pots of this type can't be beat for braising, soups, stews, etc., especially if you want low, slow, even heat. These days, though, there are other makers just as good, minus the lousy knobs. The ones from Ikea are very good indeed, for much less money.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Question,
    I'm feeling left out
    What are you all cooking in this pot with a lousy handle? Stew/soups/casseroles?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Great thread. I never would have thought of replacing the knob (brilliant idea), and I gave up on Le Creuset and bought an enamelled cast iron pan from Ikea.

James

Leave a comment:

• PizzaPolice
    replied

Yeah, you can BUY a stainless steel replacement knob for $10! I have the big dutch oven and discovered very quickly that black phenolic knob melts. Try scrubbing off that goo.
    My guess is the haughty French intended the heat limit to a 60 watt easy bake oven bulb.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X