Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluten Free Pizza

Hi All,

I've searched the threads and don't seem to see this addressed anywhere, so my apologies if it has been covered somewhere.

I am curious what folks do in regards to cooking for the gluten-free among us. I've found a good enough crust recipe, but I'm struggling with the idea of cross contamination when cooking. My celiacs are concerned that cooking a gluten-free pizza on the same oven floor as the regular pizza is a no go. I figured the high temps would obliterate any gluten left behind, but that seems not to be the case (please, someone give me evidence that proves me/them wrong). So that's where this gets ridiculously difficult.

If cooking pizza directly on the floor isn't an option, what is? We have thrown the idea around of sliding a baking steel or stone in, but I am not convinced that the stone would survive wfo temps. I think the steel would prevent the oven floor from heating properly if it went in first, and it would take a while to get up to temp if put in after cooking the regular pies. It's also a pain in the butt to move around. A large cast iron pan maybe? Does the pie then lose the great crust and become just another cast iron pizza?

Someone please tell me I am significantly over-thinking this. There must be a simpler solution that isn't "don't invite the gluten-free friends".

In gluten we trust,

Alexis

Honestly, I wouldn't go that far if I were you. I don't think cross-contamination is an issue in this particular situation, honestly, don't worry about it.

Comment

Hmmm.....everything I read says that high heat does not destroy gluten. I never would have guessed.
      My Build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

I have the same problem - we cook our Mom's pizza in the kitchen oven and the wheat based ones in the WFO. We are usually using a Bob's Redmill GF pizza crust for her which we precook, add toppings and put back in the oven. If we used the WFO we figured we would need to use metal pans anyway so the house oven seemed just as easy. When we did try the WFO our pan was so thin that it "potato chipped" from the heat. I think DavidS has discussed finding some pans that work well in the high heat - you might want to PM him or do a search.
        Gluten contamination is real for folks that are sensitive. Mom can't even drink any alcohol distilled from grain, which I didn't believe when I first heard as I thought that all the distillate would have been pure alcohol. Potato vodka, rum, brandy are all OK but if distilled from grain she gets quite ill.
        My build thread
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

You could put your pizza on a circle of parchment paper and cook it like that , the paper will isolate your dough from cross contamination.. even from the paddle
          Did you find a flour recipe?

Comment

Hi Alexis
            My daughter is coeliac, and she’s been ill from cross contamination in Pizza restaurants a couple of times
            Think it was most likely from poor kitchen practices or flour in the air contaminating her Pizza, which was cooked in a regular oven and not the Pizza oven
            When we’ve cooked GF pizzas in our kitchen oven (in finishing stages of my WFO!) we haven’t had problems cooking Gluten pizzas on lower shelves at the same time
            Reckon cooking the pizza on parchment would work well
            but best if you cook the GF pizzas first!

Comment

I'd make something else. There are lots of gluten-free foods out there that are delicious and wonderful; ersatz pizza (and bread in general) is not one of them.

Cooking in a pan rather than directly on the bricks should alleviate any cross-contamination issues.

The peptide bonds in gluten pyrolize in the range of 5-600 deg F. An oven floor at 850 should be hot enough to destroy any residual gluten pretty quickly-- most commercial pizza ovens in the US are run no where near that hot, which might explain how it can happen in a restaurant. The pizzas of course stay much cooler, not much above 212 until they dry out and combust, so contamination in the flour prior to cooking will survive intact.
              My build thread: https://tinyurl.com/y8bx7hbd

Comment

When I got celiac after my type 1 diabetes, I started looking at recipes for myself to cook with almond flour at home

Comment

Originally posted by annykidsman View Post
                  When I got celiac after my type 1 diabetes, I started looking at recipes for myself to cook with almond flour at home
                  Would you like to share some you found worked well?

Comment

Originally posted by annykidsman View Post
                    I'll make it so that the answer to my own comment is clear at a glance. So, I bought pre-made gluten-free flour and excluded chocolate and cookies. I read the ingredients on the labels all the time. If gluten is not listed in the composition, I still do not buy the product, I think it is still contained there, albeit in small quantities. I only eat bread that I make myself. Sometimes I use a piece of minced meat, it has to be ground to mush beforehand. I have a meat grinder, and you can make dough in it. I don't always use it for its intended purpose. I used to cook with vegetable proteins with no fiber, they didn't even add extra weight to me. The main products are rice and rice flour, gluten free flour and breads. I mixed the latter with persimmons, delicious. Rice flour is great for Japanese cuisine, by the way, it is the most harmless. But rice raises the sugar for a long time, I often pounded it 2-3 times since I don't use a pump.

Comment

Sorry, From your post I thought you might have a gluten free pizza recipe you could share with us?

Comment

Working...
                      X