Knife Sharpeners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knife Sharpeners

Anybody know what the recommended angle for sharpening cutlery is? 21 degrees comes to mind.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
      Anybody know what the recommended angle for sharpening cutlery is? 21 degrees comes to mind.
      It can vary based on the intended use. A hunting blade that is likely to be abused a bit and need a bit more durability, so maybe 25 degree's.

A razor blade, maybe 17 degree's...

21 looks to be the 'average' so probably the good all around angle for most common applications.. A reasonable combination of sharpness and durability...

JED

Comment

Originally posted by Jed View Post
        There is a skill involved with imparting an appropriate shape to a knife edge....

That said, my challenge has always been to keep a consistent angle between the knife and the stone (steel, diamond, etc). I produced more round edges that didn't really cut than I can remember...

I bought one of these units at the local 'box sporting goods' store, and have had great success keeping the knives in the kitchen sharp. Paid less than $30 USD. For me it forces me to keep a consistent angle through the process of changing the shape of the steel in the knife to create a sharp edge.

Lansky Standard Knife Sharpening System

After using this set of stones, I can then maintain the edge for a period of weeks with the steel.

- One way to a sharp edge..

JED
        Jed

The Lansky is the one I use - gets an incredible edge, even on the single sided knife that I have.

At that price (which is a 1/3rd of the UK price !) I've ordered a couple of bits..!

As for knife angles, from the Lansky website :

17? Angle - A severe angle reccommended for razor blades, X-Acto? blades, scalpels or similar tools. Provides an extremely sharp but delicate edge.
        20? Angle - A commonly used angle for higher quality blades and provides an excellent edge for kitchen cutlery and filet knives.
        25? Angle - The recommended angle for most knives that need a durable, sharp edge. Ideal for hunting and outdoor knives.
        30? Angle - An outstanding angle for knives that see the heavy use of cutting cardboard, wire or carpets. Recomended for heavy duty use.

They are the half angle i.e. the angle between the knife and the stone, not the overall angle of the blade.

Cheers

Peter

Comment

For many years I used Sabatier steel knives and kept them sharp with a normal steel and whetstone. I then discovered the Global knives. They are made from Cromova 18 stainless steel. This is ice hardened to Rockwell C56-58. It holds the edge like no other blade I have ever used (although I would like to try the Kyocera ones) It also means that normal steels should not be used. I have a ceramic 'steel' for sharpening on the fly

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharpeners 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	270998

My water ceramic sharpener is designed specifically for Global knives and is an easy and safe method for periodic maintenance.

Name:	Sharpeners 006.jpg
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	270999

Name:	water sharpener.jpg
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	271000

It consists of two ceramic wheels, a coarse white one and a medium pink. Water is put in and because the groove in the stones is offset to the slot for the knife it provides the perfect sharpening angle. Global knives are sharpened to a 15-20 degree angle. Guide rails that clip onto the knife can be used with whetstones.

Comment

Try the Kyocera for the demo I cut a potato into like 2mm dice with absolute ease. It is really great for slicing/dicing esp. vegetables and raw meat.

Comment

Kasumi grit stones and a couple of another "noname" japanese (noname for me)

Comment

Use a Chantry sharpener (bascally two steels at an angle) and or my diamond steel for most of my knifes:

It's great if you don't know how to use a steel properly and can even sharpen serated edges, although I use a whetstone for my Sushi knife - never gets blunt enough for the steel!
                Last edited by mmmhumous; 05-21-2008, 11:43 AM.
                sigpic "Why can't you just have a BBQ like normal people?"

Comment

I'm going to take Brian's initial question 1 step further.....what is an effective, FAST way of sharpening your cutlery? I too appreciate super sharp knives, but have zero patience in sharpening them (watching grass grow, paint dry, and the occasional root canal are more enjoyable to me). I'm not talking about dressing the edge on a steel (I've no problem doing that regularly)...its when then get dull. I've found myself buying new as apposed to spending the time to sharpen (which really pisses off my wife - we have 50+ knives, many have not been touched in years).
                  I know, I am and idiot...I'm thinking of calling one of the commercial sharpening services that service restaurants (they pick up and deliver on a regular schedule), probably won't save me any money but the collection will not continue to grow.
                  Any thoughts???

RT

Comment

I use a hone rod and razor strap. When I shave... I could use any of my knives to do the job.
                    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
                    like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

My neighbor gets his professionally sharpened once a year. He said they recommneded it on the food channel and he's done it ever since. I found that surprising since he has a killer woodshop downstairs with probably $800 worth of sharpening tools, ginders, stones, wheels etc. that put a scary sharp edge on his woodworking tools.
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Ah tools, thats another story. My father taught me early to respect my tools, so I never have a problem spending all afternoon shapening blades, but in doing do it has jaded my thiking about my kitchen cutlery. My wife gave me one of those electic ceramic wheeled sharpeners for Xmas......been afraid to try it,guess now is as good a time as ever. The proffessional service is really what I am leaning to. Any good or experiences in dealing with one?

RT

Comment

"What is an effective, FAST way of sharpening your cutlery?"

I've actually found the tri-hone stones (mentioned in earlier posts in this thread) to be pretty quick -- about 10 - 15 minutes per blade. But I've also looked into professional sharpening and found that it is rather affordable. The only problem is that it isn't quick - can take between several hours (drop off and pick up later) to several days (ship to and fro a distant location).

Comment

10-15 minutes per blade, thats my experience too. I guess if you are dilligent and sharpen each knife as needed, it isn't a big deal. I tend to put it off until 6 or 8 knives need done...seems to take all day then.
                            I have no problem with a few hours or days wait from a service.....I've accumulated so many knives, it would be no problem to send a bunch off for sharpening.
                            I will try my wife's gadget this weekend, if it works - GREAT - if not, its off to the yellow pages for a sharpening service. I will post an update after I try this sharpener....I've yet to even open the box.

RT

Comment

Working...
                            X