Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had a pretty good pizza party last night for 47 people.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a pretty good pizza party last night for 47 people.

We hosted our cycling club last night for our end of the year ride and function. Were 47 people in all and we made 38 pizzas (although I had made 49 dough balls just in case we needed more).

Went really well, no problems at all. I moved the fire from one side of the oven to the other once, after about 24 pizzas. The dough was the best I've made so far. Recipe:

1kg Caputo Classica 00 flour, sifted.
    630ml of water at room temperature.
    1.5g Caputo dry yeast.
    30g sea salt.

Water into mixing bowl first, with salt added and mixed in. Then, added about 250g of the flour and mixed in to make a thin paste. Added the yeast and stirred through. Gradually added the remainder of the flour and kneaded through for a few minutes. For last night's pizzas I made seven batches, or more correctly, 3 double batches and one single batch. 4 batches were proofed for 24 hours in wood dough boxes and 3 batches in tupperware, all in the fridge, at 4degC.

Took it all out 2 hours before pizza making and formed dough balls, oiled with olive oil and stored on the bench under clingwrap. Dough balls hand stretched beautifully.
    I'm not sure if it was the heat, but the dough had a beautiful texture. The pizzas had the most amazing light texture. While I have used both the Caputo Classica and the Caputo Pizzeria flour before, I had not previously done the mixing method as described above. I think I'll stick with this method from now on.

Sadly, to busy to take any photos!
    Last edited by MarkJerling; 12-22-2021, 04:33 AM. Reason: Added more detail.
    My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
    My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Sounds marvelous! ( no pictures means you were in the moment)

Did you work by two ( prep’s and baker)? At what rate could you serve?

Comment

Originally posted by Kvanbael View Post
      Sounds marvelous! ( no pictures means you were in the moment)

Did you work by two ( prep’s and baker)? At what rate could you serve?
      Yes, was a bit hectic but very rewarding. I should have tasked someone with taking photos but forgot about that!

How we did it is my wife and 1-2 helpers prepped pizzas in the kitchen and I cooked 2-3 pizzas at a time, basically as quick as they could stretch the dough and add the sauce and toppings. I would come in, pick up 2-3 pizzas at a time, place in the oven outside, cook, place on peels, a helper sliced and served. While that was happening, I'd walk in and collect the next 2-3 pizzas. Timing wise it worked well. They never waited for me and I seldom waited much for them! (Basically long enough for me to have a glass of water) Pizzas cooked at under 2 minutes per pizza. We have a large kitchen island so basically they prepped 3 pizzas on one side of that and the dishes with all the ingredients were right there, on the rest of the island, easy to add toppings.

I suppose I could have gone faster if I had someone bring the prepped pizzas out to me, but the way we did it worked well.
      My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Did you take a photo of pizza that helped you to feed so many people? I would like to see on this culinary masterpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by rypehorusy View Post
          Did you take a photo of pizza that helped you to feed so many people? I would like to see on this culinary masterpiece.
          38 pizzas, for 47 people. No, sorry, did not have time for photos. Will need to find someone to play photographer next time.

Comment

Working...
          X